"hunting shows"

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mr.whiskers83, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Personally I enjoy watching hunting shows when I'm not doing some hunting of my own. And i figure that most of ya'll on here do too. Here lately, meaning the last couple of years, the "shows" have been really aggravating for me to watch. At least that applies for most of the shows. I don't have anything against bow hunting, in fact I would like to eventually get into shooting a bow. And i know that hunting with a bow, the shot placement is more critical than with a rifle and most of the time an extended period of time is needed to recover a deer the right way. The thing that really just p.o.'s me is when these "hunters" on these "shows" shoot a monster deer that 90% of the population of deer hunters would never get a chance to see, look at the camera and say "It was a good hit, but we're gonna let him sit over night and get him in the morning". Now, anybody that hunts knows that typically during bow season it's hot and any deer not taken care of in a fairly short period of time is not going to be any good at all. I know that stuff happens and sometimes a shot isn't as good as it could have been, that can happen to anybody and it usually does. The thing is it seems like everytime some of these shows come on they are strictly bow hunting and everytime they shoot a nice deer they let it lay and go back later to get it, wasting the meat.

All these "hunters" are worried about is the bones on the head and could care less if the meat is used. That is not the point of hunting at least for those who were taught to do it the right way. Hunting is a privelige that should be respected. I think that if a hunter is not confident and practiced enough with a bow or any weapon for that matter, they should not be out trying to kill a animal with it. Bow hunting takes practice to be good at it as does most things. I just think that if everytime you are going to take a shot on an animal and then end up having to leave the animal and letting it ruin, what's point of even hunting? It gives hunters who do the right thing a bad name and adds to the anti-hunting fire that is constently being stoked by peta and other organizations.

I could go on all day about this and have it seems like but I want to know if this bothers anybody else or if anybody else has noticed it. I have some other stuff to add but I will do it after some feedback.

p.s. Not all hunting shows do this and there are a few that I enjoy watching that are ethical that have hunters who can flat out shoot a bow.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree. I haven't seen them let them lay all night, but I don't doubt you. That would make me :angry:...:sad2:. I don't bow hunt. If I did, if I didn't see the deer pile up, I would wait 1 hour before looking for it. That way, there is a real good chance it would be dead, and I wouldn't jump it up, and let it run off. I've only had one deer run out of sight with a gun. I knew it was a perfect hit through both lungs, but I still waited about 20 minutes before going to find it. It ran maybe 50 yards. It would be a horrible feeling to leave the woods without finding a wounded deer. I know it happens, but it should never even be close to "policy" to treat deer that way.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If I thought my shot was marginal or I wasn't getting good blood on a deer and it is a cold night I would let it have plenty of time, maybe even over night if no rain expected. Even if you practice constantly with a bow, if you hunt enough something is gonna happen where your shot will not be perfect. Unlike a gun, a deer can move before an arrow gets to it. The speed of sound is 1125 fps, the fastest hunting bows are only around 300 fps, mines 270fps. The deer hear the bow before the arrows gets to them and can react fast enough in some cases to change the point of impact.
    My son hit a deer too far back one time and was impatient and went after it in a hour. The deer was bedded down 100 yds from where shot but jumped up in the dark and left the county. If he would have left it a while or over night it would have most likey died right there.
    Sometimes it is necessary to leave em if you want the meat...not the horns.
    Like I said though it's all based on the situation, if it's cold and no rain coming in...best to leave them imho. They'll be there in the morning and the meat will be fine.

4. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I totally agree if the weather is cold and it's needed to recover a deer then there is nothing wrong with that. What makes me mad is when the shows are in early bow season, September-October, and it is just hot and they still leave it over night. That just burns me. For example I saw a show earlier today where the guy hunting lets these nice bucks go that would be great deer with a bow because he only shoots "the bigguns". Then when a "biggun" shows up he shoots, makes a good shot a little back and he even says it was a good shot that got a lung and liver but "we're gonna leave it over night, he'll be there in the morning". It was obviously early season and hot. It's easy to see why he only shoots the "bigguns" b/c he don't care about the meat he just wants the horns. Makes me sick. Don't get me wrong I like shooting good bucks but that's not my goal when I go hunting, I want meat.

Thanks for the replies so far, I hope to get more.

5. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I doubt that most of the pro hunters even eat the meat anyway. i'd bet they just donate it. They are after 2 things. Big bucks and big buck$. Why don't they hardly ever show a doe harvest? That's real world and it doen't sell their videos.

I have let deer lay overnight but only if it's cool enough. Another thing about bow hunting...when the moment of truth arrives and you are looking through your peep i swear all you see is a front sight and the deer. you don't pick up twigs or stuff like that untill after the shot and your wonder why you arrow went sailing away funny. a small twig can sand an arrow way off target.

So why do they let the deer lay overnight? I think they are scared of the dark.:big_smile: I don't know really. Maybe "just in case" they made a bad shot and want to make sure they get the approach shot for the videos. Another possibility is lighting. Natural lighting makes for better pictures.

6. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I hate when they shoot an animal, look at the camera and say that was a good shoot! Wait a minute...let's back that up and see where that arrow went. Just as i thought. gut shot. Guys i know upon release weather i pulled the shot or not. you can't tell me they don't.

sorry for the rant.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    There are some cases where it's a wise choice to leave a deer over night but early bow season is not the time to do such.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Myself, I like to bowhunt when it's cool or cold. This gives me the satisfaction of knowing if I made a marginal hit, I can wait for several hours and hopefully recover the animal later. The meat will be still good.

I've seen the same hunting shows and consider some of the reactions of the hunters involved plain stupid too. Yes, they are in it for the money. It's their job. If they're not sure about the shot of the animal, then yes, they will give the animal time to expire and track it the next day or several hours later regardless of the weather. HOT OR COLD.

A well practiced bowhunter knows a well placed shot the moment the arrow leaves the bow. FORM, Stance, grip, release and follow through is second nature to an experienced archer. Yes, we all make mistakes time and time again, but that's why we practice. I practice year around and this gives me the confidence of making the perfect shot when it presents itself.

9. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Here where I hunt if you leave a deer over night, you just fed a bunch of coyotes. I've had three that were bad hits in 30 years of deer hunting. All 3 were let go to recover the next day. All had the same result. Not enough meat left to fill a thimble. Never again. I'll stay on them until I retrieve them now.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Getting to be the same here in Eastern Ky.also. Some times you barely get to them quick enough in daylight. I was trailing one quietly and seen what I thought was a dog next to something. After I shot the dog and got next to it realized it was a yote that had found my deer first.

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree with you on leaving the deer overnight in hot weather is a waste. I'm sure all they care about is the horns. Many of the so called "hunting shows" are so fixed up anyways. Or at least want to show what "good" hunters these people are. There are some good ones on but alot more bad ones. I would never leave one overnight without looking for it for a while first.

12. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I don't watch them anymore after they filmed Jimmy Houston hunting behind a high fence.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    it's got to where i can hardly watch the shows on tv. there's better ones on the internet, as i have found these last 2 years. these guys are hunting like i do, and you'll see a lot of does being hunted right along with cow elk. i too, like to bring a big buck home, but antlers aren't the reason i go out. i am a meat hunter and that's what we eat. where i live it rarely gets cold enough to leave a deer out overnight. we have used dogs to run blood we couldn't find when i hunted private land. i'll do anything legal to recover a deer. seems like on the hunting shows, they'll go back to the lodge and have a few drinks, then have their guide do the work for them. it just don't fit in my lifestyle.

14. buckie02

buckie02 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to love to deer hunt. Years ago you could hunt alot of places by asking, now you have to pay. I have my own farm in IL, but it is not evan enjoyable anymore. The guys on most of the shows are real jerks. Thats my opionion.

15. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    My pet peeve is when they carry on a conversation in a wisper when the deer is sometimes even in bow shot range. On some of the shows the hunter is talking and moving around and looking back into the camera. Makes me think they are either hunting on a game farm or the film is spliced. The game in my area don't hang arround for much noise or movement.

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I agree with your post, a well hit deer won't need to sit overnite. Its a waste to shoot an animal and let it go to waste. I like to gut em as soon as they quit movin. Them guts heat up and ruin meat. If possible I pack em in snow as soon as they are cleaned up.

I'm sure the hunting shows are about hunting, not about eating. I'd like to get a nice buck like they get too, someday, but for me its about hunting, not the killing. Shooting an animal takes the fun outa the hunt real fast, then it becomes work.

17. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    The best part is how they track the animal first, then go back and turn the camera on and act like theyre following the trail and then magically find the animal.:smile2: Its soo staged its funny. They almost always manage to leave the camera guy right there with the animal. So theyre showing the front view of the hunters and then when they find it the camera guy pans over to the animal which is right next to him.:confused2: If he is so good that he found it before you did, why the hell are you still looking for blood when the camera guy is kneeling right next to it.:tounge_out: Its VERY obvious that the whole "trailing" job is one big setup.

They also do a ton of splicing video that is taken afterwards. They go back into the tree AFTER and film the hunter talking about the animal approaching, releasing the arrow or shooting the gun, and then talking right afterwards. I know that this happens for a fact. My uncle sorta guides for turkeys here in the spring and has a popular call company ( I wont name names) that is based around here come in and hunt with him for a couple days to get some video. They used to have a TV show, but I havent seen it in awhile so I dont know if they cancelled it or not. They still come, and I know they still release DVDs. Anyhow, he said they would go back after the bird was killed and film at LEAST a half hour of video that would get snipped into the video you saw on TV to make it look better.