Hunting Shovel-Heads in Larger Reseviors

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mdavis, Jun 30, 2009.

1. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Was wondering if any BOC members hunt shovel-heads in larger "typical" reservoirs with very little structure. I catch plenty of Channels on this body of water but now looking to get into some shovel-heads.

Should my current spots that I catch channels at be the same spots I fish for Flats? Or should I be looking at other locations?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    From what I read you need to look for holes if there is no cover. Muddy or rocky. Anything with a big drop could hold a flat. You are getting into the time of spawn so things are going to be a little tougher. Does not mean that you can not catch them, just might take a little longer. I am no expert so please take my advice as a grain of salt.

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I haven't caught very many flatheads in our resevior's. But the ones I have caught all came from small creek channels. You can narrow them down some by finding the thermocline,that is where the most baitfish will be. I would mainly look for a channel 10 to 20ft deep with a gravell flat next to it that is 6ft. If you have a topo map of the lake you can find the bends in the channels and fish around them. Flatheads use these channels as travel ways to and from feeding areas. I'd like to hear more on this topic also.

4. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for all the input so far everyone!! So the same as lot of other species…… they like being by current, structure, holes and flats of a somewhat hard surface. And if i can find all four of these structures next to each other..... I should be "Good to Go". :) I’m going to try all my spots that I have for Channels and see if I can hook into some shovels, I have an unlimited supply of bluegills in my back yard that I can use.