Hunting report

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by switchback, Oct 4, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well guys as ive said in all my other bow hunting posts i hunt on the ground. My friend says you cant kill deer that way i have proved him wrong way to many times. Back to my story i was sitting on a five gallon bucket in a fence row facing north toward a big crp field with strips mowed in it. the fence line ran east and west to my immeiate west was a gap for tractors and such. Directly south was a standing corn field and some really really thick bottom brush or scrub brush full of sapplings the stuff you cant hardly walk through. Well about 6 this evening i had A yearling doe come out of the corn and walk into the fence row less than 7 yards from me, while watching her another deer caught my eye it was another yearling doe. I turned to watch the second one hoping mommy was near well i turned back and the first one was gone or was it they wer so small a patch of honeysuckle about the same hieght of my bucket hid the whole deer unless its head was up. Finally i hear another one behind me its got to be mommy i think? I WAS WRONG ,I THINK ?any way it was another doe the same size as the first two. I now have three deer less than 7 yards from me on the ground with the wind blowing right to them. Why and how i dont know but they never saw or smelled me. Anyway the one behind me in the corn ended up scaring the other two half to death and they ran off so the one that caused all the commotion was standing there looking around like hey where did everybody go. Well any i could have shot at any time but i decided to hold up for a bigger doe, they would have been good eating but i coulda carried one out with one hand with the guts still in it. Wha do you guys think should i have shot or did i make the right choice,,,,, Take into consideration im a meat hunter not a trophy hunter and does out number bucks tremendously in my area.

2. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Getting close is what it's all about! Being with in 7 yards of 3 whitetail is called getting your moneys worth out of your tag.

As good as a young one would taste I would still rather take a little bigger doe and filled the freezer a bit more.

Hunting from the ground is a blast! That's how I shot my first deer.

GREAT STORY!!!!

3. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds fun. I also would have waited for a bigger doe. I try to shoot adults only...give them a chance to grow and live to at least 1 1/2.

4. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree I too usually only take more mature does. But im beginning to think that they are so thick in my area that they need thinned out some. Its getting to where its getting harder and harder to find those big majestic does. I will sometimes shoot yearling but those had to have just lost there spots, The yearlings i useally shoot are close to the same size as a full grown doe. All in all im glad i passed and am really excited about having them that close, i have had them closer before but its been a few years. Thanks Guys

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think ya done right by lettin em walk. I have poked a few yearlings in my time and it's a coin toss whether it's a button buck or doe. I'm in the process of getting dressed as we speak, but i want horns or a big doe. Got rain here early this mornin so i didn't hunt, and now the stinkin wind is pickin up:angry::angry::angry: See ya'll later this evenin after the skinnin is over,,,i wish:eek:oooh:

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i get 5 whitetail tags and a mule deer tag, so i might have stuck a young un just to start off the season. does need thinning out, regardless of age during hunting season. on the flip side, i let two walk last week that couldn't have been 50 pounds! those little ones sure do eat good though. one year i shot an adult doe that had a little one standing right by it in some tall grass. bullet went through momma and hit the yearling in the head. i tagged them and processed them, and the little one was some of the best deer meat i have ever eaten. it was an accident that i shot it, but i assure you none of it went to waste. if i was in an area where i had two or 3 tags for a season, i wouldn't even consider shooting young deer though. you did the right thing as long as it sits well with you!

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well actually i can buy all the doe tags i want at 15.50 a pop thats not bad, but with all the does in my area and as many as i could shoot through out the year i couldnt afford them all. Its the bucks that i can only kill two a year with any thing gun or bow. thanks guys

8. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    DANG, $15.50 for a doe tag. Ours are $6 and some people still whine about the price. You can only shoot 1 buck a year here, regardless of the weapon, which Im not against.