Hunting rabbits

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by TX Catman, Jan 23, 2007.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am about to go to my property in west Texas and my buddies say if you just walk through some brush you will see rabits hopping around everywere. My Buddies like to use .22 cal rifle on rabits when they hunt rabits like this. I thought I would use A 20 guage shotgun on rabits but they say the best way to hunt is .22. Now I'm wonderin what kind of gun I should use. What do yall use???

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd much rather use a .22 if it was wide open country where after they run out i can watch for him to stop and shoot, but if its thick bush country then i'd use a shotgun. I dont know if i'd use a .20 gauge, probably a .410 if anything. It doesnt take that much to get the little rascals.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome Jeremy Im pretty much in agreement with John i like a 22 but if im using the shotgun i'll use my 410 mossberg pump the 20 aint too bad but i'd stick to #4 shot [less pellets] and let em get out a ways first i just dont like to pick shot out of my rabbits . Either way is a great way to go

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I shoot a 28 gauge, and I agree with Richard on shot size...I would shoot #4 if it were available for my 28.

A .22 would be my first choice in open country, though, and I'd carry a long stick for a rest for those long shots.

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I've always hunted rabbits with dogs, so the shotgun was the only option. They won't stop when the beagles are singing behind them. If you flush them and stop moving they will usually stop and give you a shot with the 22.

6. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i never ran rabbit but my pops and grandad do and they use 20 gauges cause we have alot of brush on our land and they run them with dogs....plus i dont see a 22 droppin a rabbit from a distance with one shot i could be wrong cause i dont hunt rabbit but i would go with my dad and use a 20 gauge

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've killed hundreds of "Jacks" in west TX. Always used a 22 LR semi-auto.

Many years ago we would carry an old single shot 22 on the tractor while plowing to kill rabbits for the hogs.

Attached Files:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    those Jack rabbits make good chilie too

9. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I kinda like rabbit hunting with my 16 Ga, I try to hit the rabbit in the head, But it don't alway's work that way,.

Darn good post, I love rabbit hunting just wished I had more time to do it....

10. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    I like to use a .22

11. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    I too have killed hundreds of rabbits with my .22. Both jack and cotton tail. And I have killed them at over 100 yards too. a couple of times. I have used a 20 ga too but IMO I think that the 22 is better because when I have shot them with the 20 ga they arrent alwas dead. And a 22 usually stops them

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It depends where I hunted we always used dogs and had to use shotguns the one I used was a 16 gauge with #4 or #6 shot them ole swamp rabbits are tuff:smile2:

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Never tired eating a jack, have eat cottontails.
    Did feed jacks to the chickens and then made hot tamales from the chickens.:big_smile: