Hunting Out of a blind

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Cherokee, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Kinda of blind am going to hunt out of saturday moring. This is my buddy's blind he got sit up. Also a a spot wher ehe put deer cane,

Attached Files:

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    If your looking for any advice I would have tried to camo it up better by laying old trees up against it and around it. Dont know if it will matter or not though. Just got my muzzleloader sighted in yesterday and cant wait for Saturday. Saw some nice tracks by the pond and a friend said he seen four does when he was leaving the farm last week.

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    The only advice I'd give about ground blinds, is having them in place well ahead of time. Even though it dosen't stick out too bad, a deer will pick up on the change of scenery.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a dog house blind i picked up at walmart a couple years ago it works well , its big enough for two hunters and a camera man its colapsable for easy in and out has four windows of view i have never killed from it but have had the opertunity just wasnt satisfied with the target . i personaly dont leave it in the woods . and have had deer walk up as close as 3 feet away and not pay it any attention , but i would recommend spraying it with scent kill . had mine out in the snow last winter with a buddy of mine and we had a coleman heater in it and two folding chairs got video of 16 turkey within 50 feet and a coyote 25 feet but no deer that day . all the comforts of home except this computer :lol:

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Yeh got the fever too. Season for guns in Indiana not till Nov. 18th.
    A blind has got a lot going for it. I still use a climbing tree stand, but I think the deer are getting wise to it. I noticed several last year, tentative and looking up. Everything you read says 15ft is high enough, but with so much pressure during the seasons I'm not so sure anymore. I'd use the scent killer and place the blind in a more shaded spot off a good trail. After a good frost that unit will blend in better too...KaC4 did y'all have carpet in your unit too ? I think you guys may have the better idea. Especially after last year with temps 15 degrees colder than normal and a 20 mile a hour wind! Good luck to all.

6. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Hope you are hunting on Private property with the ground blind I don't think it would be safe on game land to many crazy people walking around the woods.
    I prefer climbing stands or ladder stands they are safer. I shot 2 spike bucks last week for the freezer in Chester South Carolina opening week of big gun.Bucks here in the south should be rutting in the next two weeks.Got a couple pics.

Every one hunt safe this year several years back a this old man I know shot a man hunting on the ground he did not have his safety Orange on even though it is required.

:look_down:

:cat:

Attached Files:

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I figured. You KY boys got it down to a science for comfort. Know a fella down Muldraugh way...hunts out of the loft of his barn. Says you just throw them empty Miller cans out the hay loft doors and when the curious litter critters come in to lick the cans, just pick the one you think might taste the best......Puts a recliner and a TV up there. Sometimes they might have a card game going. I'm not teasing. Like a said ya'll might have a better idea.
    :lol:

9. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I have been busted 3 times this week hunting on the ground. Twice from movement and the other big mama got a good wiff of where I walked in. I gota get or make a blind....will post later with some questions on how to make one.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I use blinds and stands. I put some hunter orange on all sides of my blinds. Doesn't seem to bother the deer any.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I hear ya. Got to wear the orange. Years ago on a hunt I was sitting on the ground at the base of a big oak tree covered in leaves. Had the eye on a good little 8 pt. waiting for a broadside with an old smoothbore. Heard the sound of a truck that wasn't supposed to be there. Then a fellow walked into the front of me from the edge of a cornfield. I mean I had to lower my muzzle! Heard him whisper Oh ####, then he raised his 30/30 with a scope and fired. Down went my little buck. When I spoke I'm sure the fella soiled his new coverals. I had on a orange wool hat, he was not more than 10 ft. in front of me & never saw me. He didn't have permission to be there, I was mad, but I swear if he had walked in a few seconds later I could of had the worst experience of my life. Even an experienced hunter can get a little case of tunnel vision. I felt ripped off, but blessed all at the same time. You can't be too careful. And you can't expect the other fella to be careful at all.