Hunting Near Homes

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Katmandeux, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    One of my deer spots is on 80 acres, and there are a number of homes on adjacent properties, w/in 1/4 mile, or so.

Up 'till now, I've limited myself to my muzzleloader. I really don't want a slug gun, but this thread on pistol cartridges in carbines has me thinking.

Would a .357 or .44mag carbine be a reasonably safe choice? The area is heavily wooded, and I'll be hunting from a treestand.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i would say yes, and i would go with the .44 mag over the .357 mag. as long as you know where the houses are and don't shoot towards them, you should be fine.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    A slug gun would do just as well as a .44 or .357. They will all travel about the same. In fact a slug will fall quicker than the others simply because of the weight.

But with the stand of trees and the angle that you will be shooting I think you will be okay.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Interesting thread,Dave. I just read an artical on the reg change in states that allow shoygun only for deer,they claim a slug has a lethat range of just a litthe less than a high power rifle bullet. I'll have to dig it up and give ya the particulars tho.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I live in a small county on the cumberland plateau. population about 6000. I stopped hunting years ago because there are so many unsafe areas to shoot. I see so many kids walking through the woods for short cuts and houses are so close now. I could not live with myself if I accidently shot one of them. Our deer are no longer wild and many will take food from your hand so a child walkng through does not spook them. I love deer meat and have no objection to hunting them just please be careful.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We have deer out the wazoooo here in VA. My brother has to put a nine foot fence around his vegetable garden to keep the deer out. He has 40 acres in a VA town that allows hunting. We have five tree stands scattered around. I can see roof tops and yards from every stand. I had Thompson Center's Custom shop make me a 300 Whisper barrel. I buy Corbin sub sonic loads that push a 240 grain Sierra Match King bullet at a pokey 1000 feet per second. That round makes the same noise as a 22 short rimfire. I shoot my deer in the head at 50 yards and less. No noise to bother the neighbors and it drops deer in their tracks. You can also buy corbin 150 grain sonic loads which are loud and are ballistically the same as a 30/30 Winchester. I personally like the sub sonic Sniper loads.

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    just curious, wouldnt that make it more dangerous with houses so nearby or am i misunderstanding the whole 1000 fps for safty issue?

8. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have the same problem.

I've even considered using buckshot when houses are withen sight. But I don't really like buckshot. It takes a little bit of the fun out of it for me.

I think a 44 will be basicly like a repeating muzzle loader. just my .02

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    No one should ever take a unsafe shot. As a shooter and a sportsman know your limits and never shoot at house's or above ridges!:eek:oooh:

When it goes boom you own that shot!

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    One is just as deadly as the other if you dont practice safe hunting. Get up in a tree stand and shoot downward is usually enough to not have to worry about it, but i still make it a point to not shoot towards houses. Around here you cant hardly find a place to hunt anymore that isn't boardered at least on one side with houses. Why no slug guns? Most of your new sabot slugs are just muzzleloader bullets that have a fancy sabot to make them work in a shotgun shell. Use some safety and common sense and you will be fine.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I shoot my rifle from a tree stand into the ground...... Believe me,,,my neighbors hate the deer worse than dirt. The deer are so bad at David's that its impossible to grow any flowers or shrubs in the yard without consulting the "what do deer not eat book".

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I hunted a little 25-35 acre place in Lynchburg for a few years that was surrounded by houses. I never sat more than 20 minutes without seeing a deer. When the rut was on it was a mad house in there.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Burr Oak Woods 1000 ac is in the middle of houses in Blue Springs. They have muzzle loader hunts annually. They have a 100 yd. buffer arond the perimeter. No shooting in the buffer zone. Have had hunts there for years with no problems. I think they normally have 10 hunters. There is a map at the admin bldg. to put a tack where you will be hunting.

14. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Marlin has a nice little 9mm Camp carbine that is excellent for deer hunting.My great aunt who is now gone used 1 for many years because she was so small.She always brought home the venison.

Cheap ammo decent punch below 100 yards and accurate in that same range.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Youll be fine as long as you remember where the houses are when you set up your stands. I usually hunt on 40 acres with a few houses around it and ive never had any problems. It might be good to let the owners know you'll be hunting in there so they know. Ive been thinking about a 44 carbine myself for deer since I already have a 44 pistol just to have a selection.