Hunting load for 6.5x284 win

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Zing, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Any one shoot a 6.5x284 win for deer hunting. I've came up with a load with barns 140grn bullets. This load has given me my best groups so far, Just at 3/4" at a 100. I know I can get even better groups. My barrel has 8 1/2:1 twist, at 24". Let me know if you shot this cal.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    3/4 " groups....who can beat that ? Yer done.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Richard I didn't mean to kill the thread or sound like a smarta$$, but groups like that are bragging rights at the range where I shoot. Maybe I'm easy to please, but I think 1" groups at a 100 are just "purdy". Don't see many factory guns that can do that.
    Hope you get some better feedback.
    :big_smile:

4. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gary no problem,, Thanks for the comment. Most of the loads I have used vary in shot groups. Another bullet that really shoots great, does not perform well, for me. It does the job it is suppose to do, but I perfer a solid bullet to the Hornady SST. I shoot the SST out of a 6.5x55 swed. and there is nothing wrong with this bullet. A lot of people shoot the 6.5x284 for 1000 yrd comps. I'm looking for other loads for hunting. The loading manuals only have a few loads for this cal. I would like to experment more with this cal., and if I could tighting it up some it would be even better.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rich,I never even heard of that cal. ,but for a hunting load thats pleny good .If you are shooting paper I would definately try to tighten it up a bit. ,Ya might try backing off the powder in 1/2 grain increments an try .I load five rounds of each given load and shoot em to see how they group ,then use the one thats best.

6. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Richard thanks for the info. The cal is a 284 win cart. necked down to a 264 cal bullet. Its a wild cat round that is used mostly for 1000 yard comp. They are getting 5" 1000 yrd shot groups with this round but of course they are using better barrels than what I'm using, and more percise loads. I really liked the 6.5x55 swed but wanted more speed so I picked this cal. I have been able to incress the over all length, which has really improved my grouping. I will just keep trying differant loads. Like I said I really like the 264 cal bullet.

7. Stretch607

Stretch607 New Member

State:
    NC
    I shoot a 6.5x284 and have found the best load for deer hunting is Norma brass with 140 gr. Hornady SST using 48.5 grs. H4831SC and a CCI BR-2 primer. I can shoot consistent 1/4" groups at 200 meters. My barrel is 1:8 twist on a Sako 75-IV action.
    Hope this helps.
    Stretch

8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    My son has a Henry Ball custom Model 7 in 6.5 -.284 with a 20" barrel. We use resized and necked down .284 Winchester brass that we prepare benchrest style. That means turning the necks if needed, segregating brass in groups by weight, and reaming primer pockets and holes. For a hunting load we use H4831SC, a BR-2 primer, and a Hornady 129 grain SP. His rifle regulary shots .5 MOA and it is difficult to find a load it does not like, usually sub MOA groups are the norm. Great caliber that we love loading for and shooting.

For many years I have felt that the .26 or .270 bore diameter is is close to ideal for deer size animals.

9. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Vince welcome to the BOC, and thanks for the info. sounds like your gun is doing a fine job