Hunting in Tennessee for Hogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by CaliHogHunter03, Jan 5, 2009.

1. CaliHogHunter03

CaliHogHunter03 New Member

State:
    California
    By any chance, anyone know a good place to hunt hogs near or somewhere by Johnson City TN?
    Am gonna get stationed there pretty soon, figured I do some hunting as well.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Welcome to the BOC Lis...Someone will be here soon to answer your question.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been trying to find a place myself but don't know where to start.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Someone said there were quite a bunch around dickson, I have found lots of sign but can't seem to find them the last few weeks. Anybody know if they stay in the same area or are they always on the move. Theres one area I hunt and the ground has been torn up for probably a mile regularly, but my question is once they do that in one area do they move out or do they stick around there feeding areas. Do I need to worry about my scent like Ido for a deer? And how wel do I need to camoflage myself. I heard they have awful eyesight.

5. Racedaddy_14

Racedaddy_14 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes you have to worry yourself with your scent when hunting or trapping hogs. I always wear rubber boots and spray them down with scent blocker along with my pants when setting my traps. Camo is good when hunting hogs also, but not as important as scent. Hogs have an acute sense of smell and they are easily spooked. I have been trapping them for 17 years. There are more hogs now then in the past and I have too many calls to help land and home owners out. If hog prices were up, I would have to seriously consider trapping them full time instead of part time. If your hunting them, prebait your area first and put out a trail camera with date and time imprinted on pictures, so you will know what times they are coming to feed. I mainly use soared corn mixture for my bait. I fill a 5 gallon bucket up 3/4 of the way and put butter milk and 2 cans of cheap beer in it and fill the rest of the way with water and let it sit outside for a couple of weeks, make sure it has a tightly closed lid also. Just keep checking the water level and mix every few days. Just don't get any on your clothes because you will never be able to get the smell out.

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I went out and place a few treats out for them yesterday. I am going to go out tomorrow. The last 2 times I have seen them was in the day. Do they move more at night, I guess I might have to scrape up some money for a trail cam and see whats really going on out there. Can't seem to find them the last 2 times I have went out.

7. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    Hogs are very smart and it don't take them long to figure out how to avoid hunters! They go nocturnal quick! Don't feel bad, I haven't seen one all deer season.:sad2:

8. Racedaddy_14

Racedaddy_14 New Member

State:
    Texas
    From my experience I have only gotten pictures and caught hogs at night. I know they sometimes move around during the day, but I have never seen it.The nice thing about having a trail camera out is that you can see what is going on at night. You know the date and time they were there. I only use the cheap cams since they have a tendency to sprout legs and walk off. Wish you lots of luck. Hogs are very smart, but they can be fooled.

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So you actually hunt them at night? I would guess you have to have dogs for that. I don't have any dogs but if theres another way to hunt them at night I would love to know. I am just having a hard time figuring out how 200 hogs can disapear when I have stalked every inch of land around. Will hogs bed down in a hay field this time of year. There are some big uncut fields around these areas but its not that tall I guees they could bed down in there and not be seen. That is the only place I have really stalked through. If I can get them coming into feeding hole will they come everyday. I have read that they might only come into an area once a week. Any input would be great. Just trying to learn a new sport. Thanks

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    One more question? Would hogs like old deep fryer grease, I was gonna dump mine out but I was thinking that may be something they might love?

11. Racedaddy_14

Racedaddy_14 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry its taken me a few days to get on here to answer your questions lumberlandcat. I trap hogs and I have only caught them at night. I don't always put out trail cameras either, I have found that the flash spooks them at first, until they get used to it. I would prefer not to use the cams myself once my trap is set. I use trail cams when baiting an area for a spell before I put out traps. I have small traps to corral traps, just depends how many hogs are in the pictures. I haven't been fortunate enough to be able to trap on a large parcel of land as of yet. Seems most people around here does not think the hogs are hurting anything in their woods. Hogs travel in a circle for miles. If there is plenty of food and water for them in an area they will stay close to there. Hogs can hide and lay down under brush or high grass/weeds. I have hogs come to my baited areas for a couple of weeks before disappearing for a short while. I bait up every evening to try and keep them in an area. Guess it time to build more traps because I never seem to have enough when an area is ready. On your other question, I have used, old cooking grease as a trail to my bait from their trails, and it seems to draw them in to the bait faster. I am always just trying different things to see what works and what doesn't. Every area seems to be different of what the hogs want or are attracted to. Hope that helps a little.

12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for some answers, I really want to get a few, but I am learning that they are pretty sneaky and hard to find. I think I may go out this afternoon and see what I can find.

13. Racedaddy_14

Racedaddy_14 New Member

State:
    Texas
    They are very intelligent. If they are bedding down, you would have to walk right up onto them before you would see them. They won't give away their hiding place just because your in the area. Good luck, hope you get one or two.