Hunting Hours

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by randallewis, Aug 29, 2007.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    What are your hunting hrs. I like 30 min before daylite to 8 AM Unless its the rut and I'll stay later. 3 PM until its so dark you can't see in your scope. Last 15 min at dark the most critical

2. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am usually 30-45 min before day light till 10 AM then in for lunch and back out around 3 PM untill dark

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Missouri's season is right during the peak rut. So it can be good all day.
    Early morning is probably one of the best before the get run around.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im usually in stand an hour before daylight and try to be there to 2-3 pm. Ive seen many nice bucks between 11am-2pm. If I cant get there until afternoon I like 3pm to dark. My stepdad gives me a hard time cause I dont stay out all day. A nice one can show up at anytime, morning, afternoon or evening.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    In MO, bow season starts Sept. 15, so its hard for me to want to stay out any past 10 or 11 in the morning being so hot. Same thing in the evenings... being so hot its hard to sit in a tree stand for hours waiting for those 15 min. of last light, but I usually try and go out by 3 pm. Once mid October rolls around I usually stay out a little longer in the morning and get out there a little earlier in the afternoon... but I still like to take a break for lunch. There are a lot of people that will tell you they've seen a lot of nice deer around the noon time... but most of the deer movement I've seen is about a half an hour to an hour from sun up and then half an hour to sun down. My best guess is that it kinda matters where you are set up on travel routes and such.

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've seen more between 8 and 10 but am out there usually 1/2 hour before sunup. Then back in around 11 then back out around 3 until dark.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    My two biggest bucks were taken between noon and 2:00. These were taken from stands inside the timber, and several hundred yards from farm fields. Deer are up and moving at all times of the day. If you can stick it out, hunt all day!

8. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I am on stand at least 30 minutes before daylight and usually stay on stand until noon or 1pm. I then move to an evening stand location and stay there until it is too dark to see. I love the guys that start moving around at 8 a.m. because I have killed many a good buck that they have pushed over to me. During the peak of the chase phase of rut I will stay in one location all day long....and that is where I can see the most does. Sooner or later a buck is gonna come cruising thru checking the does.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For me there's alot of different factors that dictate what time of day I hunt. Normally, I'll hunt from about 30 minutes before sun up, till about 30 minutes after sun down with a small luch break sometime during the day.

Now, if it's a full moon, I'll usually go out around 9 or 10am till about 4pm. I've shot several deer during a full moon, but they're always been mid day.

I've had several different places to hunt over the years, and they seemed to move at different times on each one. I''d deffinitely be in my stand early on opening day and stay all day as the other hunters will be walking around and keeping the deer moving so I want to be in my stand all day. I also use this same strategy on weekends as that's when all the city hunters are out there moving around also. I also like to stay still when there's alot of hunters in the woods so I don't get mistaken for game!

I've also got a spot to hunt that when it rains, the deer get out in the open fields and hang out there all day, so you can get there about anytime. Scouting and experience will dictate when the deer will move on your spot so you'll know when to be there.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I sit till about noon, then grab a snack, back out about 2 till black dark, most of the time I have to sit so late, is cause there are some deer close to me so I don't want to spook em, so I just sit a spell and watch em feed.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I dont have alot of days to hunt so I do all day'ers everytime out. Its hard to stay in one spot that long so i'll do some inseason scouting.. i mean stalking when I get restless about noon and then sit in a new spot in the afternoon.

12. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    If possible I'm in my stand from dark till dark, especiall when the dogs start running with 10am til 2pm being the most productive. There was a time when I thought the dogs spooked and ran everything away. But after sitting all day watching how the deer shake the dogs and watching them sneak back to their thickets, I realized that a mature deer has no problem loosing the hounds and will eventually sneak back to its bedding area. The bucks in the pic were doing this.

Attached Files:

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I used to think that too about the dogs and Id cuss the neighbors for letting their dogs run loose during deer season. That changed after a couple sightings of three or four beagles baying at does. The does seemed to think of them as an annoyance if anything. They would rest a bit and then take off 30-40 yards, almost like they were playing with them. Those dogs never seemed to actually try to attack the deer but did have them cornered a time or two. I could have easily followed them around and took the does but I didnt, seemed too easy and using dogs is illegal here.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I do the vast majority of hunting from the living room.
    I'll let someone hunt across the road on an oak ridge and typical of a hunter about 10AM they'll come out pushing deer they never see or hear across the road and through the field in the back yard.:smile2:
    I've got my coffee, a warm house, my TV, and the BOC while hunting.

15. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport

You are 100% correct. I belong to the biggest dog hunting club in North La. Dogs don't catch deer. They just cause them to move around a little. In our club the DNR recommends the harvesting of 200 doe each year. Without dogs we couldn't do it. We only shoot bucks w/ six points or larger. The majority of these are killed during rut. Not dog season.

16. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Randall ol friend after 40 years of chasing those deer critters and I think they know most hunters show up in morning and head back to camp at 10 . I have a stand that I can see my neighbors property and more than once I have seen my neighbors hunting party head back about 9-10 and the deer within a hour are lurking right by where my neighbors were sitting!!! Deer have a dinner bell that also coinsides with us human critters and while we are back at camp having lunch they are walking by our stands to go have their lunch!! Good luck my friend!!!

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I used to get to my stand well before daylight, and stay 'till 10 or 11, but then I got to wondering how many deer I couldn't see were busting me, and knew exactly where I was, before I could even see my hand in front of my face. I go in about 15 minutes early, now.

18. redticrunner

redticrunner New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I like to get in my stand like most...30-45 mins before daylight and like to stay til bout 11 or 12 if im hunting in the pines..come out for lunch for about an hour or so then go back til its so dark I can hardly see.