Hunting ground got leased out

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Grimpuppy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The place I have hunted the last 5 years got leased out to a hunting TV show which I won't mention the name. I went to scout a little after work last week and notice no hunting or trespassing signs all over the place. I called the landowner and asked him what the deal was and he said he leased the land. He said he told them no but they kept offering money and he said they threw out a number he just couldn't refuse. I don't blame him. He gets free money for doing nothing. Well Monday the TV shows truck was parked there.

This is the thing that makes me mad: They waited until the rut to lease it. I have spent a lot of time scouting that whole area this year. This place it literally 1/4 mile from my house. I could get home from work and get in the tree stand for an hour or so before dark. Now I have to drive 30 minutes to my other spot. So hunting during the week is pretty much over. I haven't spent a lot of time in the other spot scouting. And here is why I have spent so much time in the place close to home. There is a 200" buck in there. He is on a trail camera on adjoining property crossing the river onto my hunting place. The river is only 50 yards wide and 2 feet deep. Word got out about this big buck and now what a coincidence that this place shows up and leases the land.

So those that like watching hunting shows, now you know how they get the monster bucks. Wait until you hear about one somewhere, and go throw money at the land owner until he can't turn it down. Don't let them tell you all the scouting they do. They didn't show up until the rut was just starting to kick in good.

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would be highly upset and would have stuck around that truck just to let them know what I thought about it too.
    Sorry to hear I know how hard it is to find good ground close to the house thats not already leased out or will let you hunt. I live in a poor farming community and all the farmers are going to lease land to hunting to off set cost of fules and other expenses. its a shame that money goes farther than family friends or just a good name sometimes.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hear ya,I lost around 50,000 acres this year,I have hunted for 30 years from a greedy landowner. I only hunted a tiny portion of it ,But the deermongers leased all of it at 2$ /acre I am not the only one either,Most people in my home town hunted there as well as this guys family,its all off limits to everyone but the greedy bassturds that leased it.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't have a big slice of pie myself . I drive 3.5 hours to hunt the family farm . No one here in central KY has even gave me a thought to letting me hunt an automatic NOPE you ain't got the money to hunt my place .

5. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    sad but true, texas has been leased since 1968 that I know of. :confused2: and
    arkansas has been since 1982

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    starting to see that happening here in pa people leasing ground then posting it i thought my hunting grounds were done when a timber company bought it but when i talked to the owners they welcomed anyone to hunt they even left all the permanent tree stands ,cut timber around the stands didnt bother them at all maybe this is rare that a company would allow hunting but it sure nice to see

7. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I know the feeling. The last lease I had been on we were there for 7 years. We had food plots planted, had been feeding free choice protien feeders year round, and had been participating in the local wildlife managment program. Then the land owner had passed away and with in 30 days his kids, who had never wanted any thing to do with the ranch had lined up a buyer. All we ever got was a phone call telling us we had 15 days to collect our things and get off the ranch. I feel your pain.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Im sure Ill get some boos for this but how can you blame a landowner for doing what he wants with his land. Sounds like a bunch of freeloaders upset about losing something they didnt pay or work for. Land is expensive and hard to keep up, and people want to hunt for free? Gimme a break. I dont mean this to sound as harsh as it probably does but being a landowner I hear the same lies from folks wanting to hunt. Ill help do this or that but funny they always ask 2 days before season and never once call to see when to work, only hunt! The greed does not lie with the landowners, its with the folks who want their welfare hunt. Sorry.:embarassed:

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sorry to here about that Jay, that pretty much sucks. Mid summer might not have been so bad but this close to season is just wrong.

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    In Alabama if you want to hunt you have be lucky enough to be born into
    a family that owns a lot of land, be very wealthy and buy hunting land,
    join a group of other hunters and lease land, or hunt the state management
    areas or National forest. The days of asking premission to hunt private land
    has been gone 30 years. We pay 10 dollars an acre for the hunting rites at
    my club. I have deer coming into my yard at night and I travel 172 miles
    to my club to deer hunt. I wish it was different but thats the way it is, hunting
    is big business.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am so glad I dont hunt anymore:sad2:

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think that the problem with this is that hunting is starting to become a money maker for people. I know that people do not help landowners like they should, helping bail hay, fix fences, etc. But, I am 31 and I remember being able to hunt guys farms and was no problem. We would give the guy a hand whenever we could, and respect his land and livestock.
    Now a days, no one will let you hunt or if they do they want to lease it for a amount that most people, including myself, can not afford. I hope that this trend does not continue for the good of hunting. I know that I am one of the guys that wants their "Welfare Hunt", but people like me out number the the people that have a large amount of land at their disposal. If enough people get turned down and don't have a place to hunt then we will start to lose the traditions and the rights of hunting. Because no one will be able to do it. JMO

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Jay, I guess it would have been nice if your landowner buddy had included you in the deal, but that is the way it goes. At least you have another place to go. Count your blessings.

I wonder if this "show" has a web site with a BB??

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Isn't capitalism a wonderful thing?

15. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Capitalism has nothing to do with property rights.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Leasing your property rights is capitalism, everything has it's price; not that I object. I'd do the same thing. In the 90s I leased several farms and ran a guide business.

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    They sure do, and I expressed my unhappiness. I was even nice about it. This is partial response from one viewer:

"The hunting shows wouldn't be able to full fill us hunters need to watch their videos and shows without the properties to hunt wither it be properties they own or lease."

Lets all quit hunting so we ensure we can watch it on TV in the future!

18. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have been leasing land for hunting here in texas since 1978. the price is getting a little out of hand. our land owner is going up to $9 an acre next year. he was nice enough to tell us last year in case it was going to run anyone off. we have 7 guys on 2100 acres. i have put to much into this lease to leave now. i do not know how long i will pay the new price. it is going to be a rich mans only club in the near future. the good thing about texas is the season starts around oct 1 and goes into january.

19. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    we shoot deer a lot bigger than a lot of the hunting shows do. i sometimes laugh at the big deer they kill. then i show my friend from kansas a nice deer i shot a couple of years ago and his wife laughed at how small she thought it was. i guess i need to move my hunting operation to kansas to get a big deer.

20. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    B.S. on their part! Nuff said!