Hunting Dogs Talk

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by Catfish_Commando, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    New Sub-Forum :)

Feel free to exchange information on the past time many member(s) enjoy.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    When I was about 8 years old we had a walker hound named wa-hoo. We would tie up the older dogs on tree and climb up and push the coon out, and let the younger dogs fight with it,and the coon would always win and run off. When wa-hoo was about a year old if they tree on a low limb tree he would climb it to try and get the coon, the only thing we could do would be to round up the other dogs and walk off after a while he would jump and come to us we would let the others lose and start again. Has anyone had or seen a coon dog climb a tree after a coon?

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    How about some sub catagories like,

Hounds, coon, rabbit or deer.

Bird dogs, pointing or flushing breed. Duck or upland bird use.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well anybody want to give there opinion on this,cause I'm not bitting.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Feel free to create new thread topics at the root of this sub-forum located Here

If this area proves popular, we will build and expand :)

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dang got us a spot to drop the tailgate now. bad part is i got rid of my dogs. maybe get some more if i ever get drawed to hunt the aiken bomb plant. i been on the waiting list for over 15 years. i already told them ill be a bald headed old man when they call...lol i love to hear a good race.

7. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    I had a Black&Tan female that would climb a tree the only problem was getting her back on the ground .A dogs claws will let them climb but they have on brakes comming down a tree one night I heard her treeing ,when we got to the tree she was about 3ft. from the coon and about 25ft.from the ground. The only way that we could get her down was to shoot the coon and then cut a pole tie the dead coon on it hold it up to her . When she turned around on that tree she had no brakes!

8. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I've had a few redbones over the years that would give it a heck of a shot. Don't recall one ever actually making it all the way up to the coon. Sounds like your walker was eager for the hunt, Rusty. I am glad he didn't get tore up by an old boar coon. They can get pretty mean.

Ain't nothin' like running wild through the woods of the night behind the frenzied baying of a pack of hounds in full cry, by the dim light of a carbide lamp. That is the kind of adrenaline-packed adventure a teen-aged boy needs. I want another coonhound. Anybody in East Texas or Western Lousiana got any pups coming up?

9. rompn84yota

rompn84yota New Member

State:
    Indiana
    anybody hunt coyotes with hounds? i dont have hounds but i have a few buddies that hunt with hounds for yotes around here. they have some top notch hounds that make it really fun watching

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    We had a Walker, female coon hound when I was a kid that would go where ever Mr.C went. Down a hole after him in a heart beat. I'm talking about two three hours under ground. In a brush pile, up a tree limb, no problem. Centerville, Michigan. The "World Championship Coon Hunt". sold me on Redbones. :ah:
    Don

11. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've got a picture of my red dog telling the story. I'll try to upload it.

Attached Files:

12. What other kind is there LOL. I once looked up to see an english gyp about 25' feet up face barking a kitten coon. Strange thing was it was a perfectly straight and vertical pine. She had gone up the mass of muscadine vines next to the trunk. Had to have pulled herself up like climbing a ladder. Another time one of my walkers went up a leaner ended up about 15' up.
    Love to hear the hounds hitting it a hot lick through the woods.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

My grandad had all kinds of hunting dogs when he lived in the mtns. of Va. Unfortunately, I wasn't around at that time, but I've heard the stories. While I was growing up we had a good ole redbone hound. Got her right after seeing "Where the Red Fern Grows". We didn't use her for hunting, but whenever she was loose, lookout! Dad bred her two or three times with a bloodhound stud. We sold the pups for $45 -50 each and were told they made good hunting dogs.