Hunting clubs

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by capmadlee, Jul 20, 2007.

1. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    i was thinking of joining one and dont know anyone in one. has anybody ever joined one?

2. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I've been in three. I was founder and president of one for four years. I'll never do that again!!! LOL. There was 30 members in that club and trying to run the business end of it, recruit new folks, keep neighbor relations good etc was really a full time job. I was also in a trophy only club that had a minnimum on antler size.....come to find out the rules applied to everyone but the club boss, who also owned the land.
    They are a very good thing if run right and everyone works together. You can have access to many acres of land that you could never get otherwise....you can have a lot of good fellowship around the camp and there is generally someone willing to help you drag a deer and help get your truck out of the mud.
    Try it you may just love it.

3. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was in a club in VA and loved just about every minute of it. The minor issues I had some were personal some were just bogus, but give it a try there are a variety of clubs out there just be sure and do your checking before you sign on the line. READ ALL THE FINE PRINT and be sure you understand everything required.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was a member in a hunting club North of Chicago. Birds only. I took care of the Veterinary Medical needs of the owners and members dogs. The majority (all) of the members were moneyed jerks. It would make you puke to see their attitudes and how they handled their dogs. If a dog didn't do what it should it was left wrapped around a post in the field. They had no idea how to handle a dog let alone how to hunt behind one. They had their fancy Italian guns and nothing in their brains or in their jeans. Pick and chose who you will be following or setting up camp with. The club is only as good as the owner. If he is a used car salesman go someplace else to put your money down.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was just reading about one in the Kansas City Missouri Area.Apparently there is a place south of Kansas City Missouri called Amsterdam Missouri. This hunting club owns 4000 acres of prime fishing and hunting property.It is land that years ago were strip mines for coal.Now the MDC or some big organization like that has allowed the land to all I guess reclaim inself,the strip mines have all filled with water and people who I guess you would say lease this for $!000.00/year can have access to it as often as you care too.After all paperwork is signed,and money exchanged,all you have to do is call in and make a reservation for however many days you care to be there. No one else is suppose to be there but the people who have made the reservations.You can camp using a tent or bring in your RV.As long as you hunt or fish legally it supposedly is yours for the length of time you are there.A video talks about a man who was flyfishing with a jig for bluegills and caught a 10 pound channelcat.Then there are menfolk who talk about deer hunting and goose and duck hunting.It sounds interesting and Steve has gotten a couple of phone calls about it but we have made no decisions about it.Just want to make sure it's all on the up and up and also the money situation is totally impossible at this time.I'm commenting just because it's kinda funny it's posted here and we have been discussing it!Makes a person want to go HMMMMMMM!!!-------Sister Pat

6. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    ive been read alot about some in the area. alot of them allow guests on the land i dont like this. what if one person pays for the menbership. and brings 5 guests everytime. that not fair to the people who pay the membership fees.it just seams fun that the member pay like 1000 a year and guest get in for 5$ a day. it seems like this would be a bad ideal.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im a little skeptical of most hunting clubs. I dont like the idea of a bunch of guests getting in on the cheap either. If I had to Id probably join one after a lot of research.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive been a memeber on several hunt clubs in my state. its about the only way you will find a place of size to hunt in this state anymore. all of them have there ups and downs to them. the best ones are not looking for members and those are the ones you need to get into. the ones that keep rolling over members from year to year have trouble within for the most part. i have seen the guest thing on all of the ones i was in and i never did like it because you will get the same guest every year.:wink: i will say this though go as a guest the first time and try it. if you like it join if not dont feed off the members that they have by just being a guest. its not right. i was on a deer dog club for several years and the president said it was fine to stand hunt so we did and killed a few deer but he found out one evening while we was dragging one out. he wasnt a happy camper and neither was we but you learn. from then on he never heard about the deer we killed and everything is just fine.:smile2:

9. hunterchet

hunterchet New Member

State:
    WV
    Some friends and I go together and lease land from timber companies in our area. We pay about $4 per acre per year. It is well worth the money because we can control who hunts the land.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i belong to a club in arkansas where we lease 3500 acres.it cost us 150.00 dollars a piece a year.this is all family we do allow guest but it cost the member that brings them 25.00 dollars a day and they are only allowed to kill a buck after they have killed a doe.our game wardens say we need to take 50 does a year off the lease and this is the only way we can do this.we only have 9 members.

11. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I have been thinking about it too, and like the idea. There are tons and tons in my county. Almost every back road has its own hunt club. I havent found one yet that has really caught my eye. There is one that backs up to our property, the oliver hunt club on the olivers farm, and the hunters dogs will charge through our land chasing all the deer out. while the hunter parks his truck just on the other side of our posted signs and waits there with his shotgun. boy, does my dad get worked up :smile2:. Most of the clubs i have checked out have some rediculous rules involved that are a huge turn off.