Hunting Accidents Can Happen Sometimes.... Ask Vice President Cheney

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by H2O Mellon, Feb 12, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and injured a man during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, his spokeswoman said Sunday.

Harry Whittington, 78, was "alert and doing fine" after Cheney sprayed Whittington with shotgun pellets on Saturday at the Armstrong Ranch in south Texas, said property owner Katharine Armstrong.

Armstrong said Cheney turned to shoot a bird and accidentally hit Whittington. She said Whittington was taken to Corpus Christi Memorial Hospital by ambulance.

Cheney's spokeswoman, Lea Anne McBride, said the vice president was with Whittington, a lawyer from Austin, Texas, and his wife at the hospital on Sunday afternoon.

Hmm..... His buddy is an attorney. I wonder how much of an injury settlement the VP will have to pay?

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Oh jeez.:rolleyes: I'm sure it was an accident, and the same situation with Governer Terminator won't happen. (For those of you who don't remember, in spite of not having a motorcycle license and being involved in an accident, no charges were filed.;) I wonder why not? )

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Jen, you sound like they cut them polititions a break. Our govener of Pa has been caught driving over a hundred miles an hour. I don't think he got a speeding ticket. Must have been in the mood for giving someone a warning that day.LOL

4. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know it is mean to say, but that is kind of funny:cool:

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    in california you do not need a class m license to drive a motorcycle with a sidecar. the media as normal loves to omit that part typical of them. the guy that got shot according to the media didnt not let them know he was comming up no matter what the situation on cheny shooting this guy the antigun fanantics will take it and run with it.

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    It's sad to say...but no matter how careful you are...or aren't...accidents DO happen. It just re-iterates the fact that safety awareness is something that should NEVER be overlooked. The guy may not have announced that he was walking up...but then again...Cheney apparently didn't look beyond his target either.

AND....I really do hate to say this...but you're right...this is simply more fuel for both anti-gunners...AND...anti-hunters.

7. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yep its sad things like that have to happen as far as i am concrened they all were at fault. but the worst part is like i said before is the anti gun and hunting people will love this and run with it

8. Outlw36

Outlw36 New Member

State:
    Prineville, Oregon

Well the why not was released in the news at the time. He had a sidecar on it and that was what saved him from a ticket. A loop hole they are supposed be closing.

Jim Allen

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I wonder if Harry Whittington was a democrat?:confused:

10. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Were they Dan Quail hunting?

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I would say the worst part would be getting shot in the face with shotgun pellets! Maybe a nra refresher course is in order for Mr Cheny, and while we are at it, a motor cycle safety course for Arnold, seeing is how it's not the first accident on his bike. Got a queston for you Mutt! Would you hunt with a guy careless enough to shoot someone in the face while trying to shoot a bird?

The first fundamental NRA rule for safe gun handling are!

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.
    Last I heard, the N.R.A. were not anti-gun!

12. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I know nra aint antigun but the antigun and anti hunting will run with it just another notch to put in thier handles to try to outlaw guns

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Know your target and what is beyond.
    Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

14. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Ah, the good ole 'loophole'.:rolleyes:
    :0a19: :0a19: :0a19:

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Loop holes are made for those who can afford it, or looking for it. LOL
    Education , training and enforcing gun laws is the key to gun control. We dont need new laws.
    I guess Dick aint as educated as I thought he was, at least not in the right field. Give Dick ,( now that is funny ), a pencil. That is what He does best.

Stuff happens when you try to swore like an Eagle and surrounded by buzzards. LMAO

Seriously, I hope the man is OK and I hope Dick doesn't face legal battles over negligence.

Me, I got a date at Moes Bar. Tally ho.

16. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    What I thought was funny, the ol' girl who owns the ranch said this happens a couple times a year and, that she's been peppered too!!!

Mike

17. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    S@## happens sometimes. Anyone that knows anything about quail hunting knows that they are a low flying bird. Now had he shot someone waterfowling or dove hunting I would 100% blame Dick for the accident, but not quail hunting. I would also like to know if the injured fellow was wearing orange when he was approaching these hunters. The use of orange has saved many a man from being shot in the field. Vern

18. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well their ya go mike. Your a man who has been bird hunting. I like white wing dove hunting the best. Lot of fun in the valley, South Texas. The secret to being peppered is, simple, look away. LMAO dont look at the light. Tuck and roll. LOL.:0a22:

19. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Cheney didn't shoot anyone. Howard Dean was hiding in the grassy knoll and was the one who fired the shot. It was a vast left wing conspiracy.

20. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I knew their was a wing involved when it comes to bird hunting. Didn't know if it was the left or right. When that happens I dont take a chance. I end all suffering and pull the head off, throw it in the bag.:) :rolleyes: