hunting 1-11 and 12

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Quint, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    My dad is down at Cedar Island today and tomorrow. His friends have been there all week and the hunting has been slow, blue bird weather. They have killed a few redheads, pintails, and bluebills, but mainly bufflehead so far this week. I talked to my dad this afternoon he said he did not fire a shot this morning then got in a lay down blind this afternoon for a couple of hours and killed 5 bufflehead. A group hunting close by killed some bluebills this morning. The reports are that the hunting was great there last week when it was cold. I am going goose hunting in the morning been watching some coming into a wheat field this week. I'll give my report and the Cedar Island report tomorrow.

2. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    My report 1st, Got set up and surprisingly 5 mallards came into our spread in a dry green wheat field a rare occurrence around here. It was myself and two others hunting Sat. I was on the left and the two other to my right the mallards cut over the right side me and the hunter in the middle were only able to shoot once a peace and the hunter on the right that should have wore them out did not shoot!? I do not like my ears rung so I do my best not to ring someone else's ears. We got one drake. We were set up in a water way in the wheat field were I have been seeing the geese this week. We had our blinds grassed up good and the set up looked good. Not enough wind for wind socks Sat. so we had no movement in the spread. We had only one flock of geese come but a flock it was 60+ birds. The geese locked up on our spread. They got to the front edge of our spread and started to pick up so I called the shot we only dropped two. And again the hunter on the right only shot once, he thought we should have let them circle and come back. But my experience with flocks that big if they give you a shot you better take it, and after they give you a good straight over head look your lucky if they do it again.
    The Cedar Island report my dad said it rained hard and the wind blew hard all day Sat. He said the rain drops were sting his face like if you were water skiing in the rain. He did not fire a shot. He said there were big rafts of redheads with 200-500 birds in them siting around, and they had one flock of them coming in a some other hunters in a pole blind out in front of them seen the ducks coming in on them and stood up and shot in the air just to turn the ducks for meanness there was almost a fight! They killed one redhead Sat. and his other friends hunting in a different spot killed two bluebills and two scooters Sat.

3. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    that takes skybusting to a whole new level. Those guys were just being A-holes.

4. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    My dad left his cell phone down at Cedar Island and they sent it to him today and he called to thank them the report was both blinds killed there limit of redheads this morning. My dad was down on the Cape Fear yesterday collecting water samples from DuPont plant to just below lock 3 did not see any water fowl there. Not sure where I'll hunt Sat. yet? But we are leaving Sun. to hunt Currituck Mon., Tue., and Wed.

5. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I decided not to go this morning, one of my hunting buddy's did kill a turkey this morning. Leaving for Currituck in the morning and the reports from today say were hitting it right!

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Well the hunting was slow at Currituck we killed 10 ducks in 3 day's! Hunted around home Sat the last day killed 6 Canada geese and one ring neck duck. We saw around 200 geese only killed 6! I had to go home but my dad went to another place to finish out the season for the the year, Sat. after noon he seen around 200 geese killed 0! A poor year for us but was lucky enough to go and try!