Hunter safety education courses

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by psychomekanik, Oct 9, 2007.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This year my oldest son finally broke his bow over and has been shooting. (really well too). i told him when he could hit the 10 ring on a regular basis, i would put him in a tree. well all thats left is to get him in a safety class so he can get his license. the only place in vermillion county is kennekuk county park. they only have 2 classes scheduled this year, and there's a huge waiting list. the lady told me i would probably have to wait till next year. and god willing i could get him in then. i've checked with all other counties close to us and cant get him in anywhere. this class is mandated by state law. but, they wont pay for training. they rely soley on volunteer help. so there's not enough classes to go around. i'm outraged by this. i've been wanting to take him so bad and they tell me i'd be lucky to get him in next year. god forbid something happen to me between now and then. he might not ever get the chance to hunt with me. hunting is part of my soul. it helps make me the person i am today. it makes me sick at my stomach to think he might not ever experience this. does anyone know of any other classes i might be able to get him into before the years up. i've been on the d.n.r. website and i cant find anything close at all? we're in vermilion county close to the indiana dorder..

2. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    We have alot of classes here in Ok.I know thats too far to go but I know our H.S.C. are honored in all 50states.Maybe you could get him into a neighboring states class.I just checked and indiana's test is online .I'll say a prayer for you too.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i just checked into the Indiana online course. you have to be an indiana resident to take this course... i'll try other states though. maybe i can find a loophole. leave it to illinois lawmakers to make it next to impossible to purchase a hunting license. if you were to give the united states an enema, illinois is where you'd put the hose !!

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mark--
    I looked into Indiana hunter education...the online course is for residents only but I'm not sure about other courses...here is the schedule for Indiana

http://www.in.gov/dnr/lawenfor/education/hunt-edu.htm

I suppose they could tell you about procedures for out-of-state applicants if you call and DNR District Headquarters. Closest one to you is in Cloverdale I believe. (765) 795-3534

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Find out what is required to be an instructor. Do the requirements and be a volunteer. I sure sounds like your part of the state needs more instructors.

I did here in VA and glad I did. Loads of Moms and Dads take the course with their children. I have taken the course with both my children and taught many many classes. Big side benefit is plenty of parents invite me to hunt on their property as a way of saying thanks for teaching their children. I do it for the kids but I also am happy to hunt wherever I can.:wink:

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i found a legal loophole. if i cant get him into a class this year. he meets the criteria for an apprentiship license. it's a hunting license that allows you to hunt with an adult for one year only. a trial kinda thing, to see if you like it. it's only good for one year only. but, i'll make sure i get him into a safety class this coming year. i might look into doing some training myself so others dont have to go through the same thing i am.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Mark... I thought that you had to take that course to get a FOID card.. I didn't think they had to have it to get a license if your not using a gun..

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey... The youngest boy just told me that I had to have my Bow in a case when transporting it or I could get a ticket.. I thought that law was for guns..

9. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    If you boy is in high school. Check the agg. classes. Here in Texas we can take a wildlife management class and do the hunter ed. in class. Also here in TX we were able to hunt without a safety coarse as long as you hunted with a licensed hunter who had taken the coarse. But that all changed this year. I hope this helps.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm in the same boat ,sorta Here in New Mexico we have to have it for anyone under 18 My daughter took a shooting sports program in 4H this year ,which I understood would have a hunter safety training,but it was supposed to be on your own so we never heard about the class till [get this] Our 4h leader ran into us at the store and I said what yall been doin..... She said takin the kids to the hunter safty class at the State park . I was steamed but we missed out and the closest one coming up is 100 miles away,so we are waiting till next year,hopefully they will get it publicised a bit more.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    In Va we have a place on our game dept website that has the upcoming hunter education classes. It even has a locator. Type in your zip and it shows all he scheduled classes close by. Side benefit to us old poops getting our certificate. Most States now require Hunter Safety and it doesn't matter if you have been hunting 40 years. All te states accept the other states programs. If you ever plan or think it would be nice to hunt out of state, take the hunter education class. Take a kid with you!

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sorry harold. anyone born after 1-1-80 has to have the course completed to get his-her license. and yes, you have to have your bow in a case, unstrung, or a lock on the string to make it legal to transport. better check your regs. before you hit the field. in the immortal words of Dallas Bowman (our chief game warden) ignorance of the law is no excuse! lol, at least thats what he told me once, while he was writing me a ticket..

13. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i took my hunter saftey class in 2002 since my mom said i couldnt shoot a deer without it my brother just took his and there was a waiting list but they said come by and you cant squeez in but the might not get a seat so they did and they got in so try and see if you get there early enough if they can squeze you in

14. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I've sat through that class twice, once for me, and once with my wife. Both times, I went in that class knowin more than the guys teachin it. But that's Louisiana for you.lol

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Thanks Mark.. That means the youngest boy can't hunt with me this year.. He was born in 87, so he'll need to take the course first.. You learn something new every day... Not necessarily good stuff but new stuff just the same... hehehe

16. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't know about your area but, some states offer the course through a series of video tapes with one day on the range. The videos are available at your local library. You complete the videos and then schedule a time for the range to prove competency. It eliminates the long class time and gets your certification, which you only need a notary public to certify. For archery the range time may not be required. It is worth checking into. I wish you the best of luck.

17. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Tell your son I said congratulations on his passing hunters safety. My son is 9 and I can't wait till he gets to take the coarse.

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Maybe ya got a relative in another state. :wink:

19. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
  20. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    well folks thanks to a very nice lady at the park, i finally got my son into a class. he passed it. we went out and got all the rest of the gear he needed, and we went hunting yesterday a.m. his first day he had a doe walking around right under him. he ended up taking a shot, and missed. i called the deer to me and shot it. one good sign i seen from him was something he said. i made a joke about him missing the deer because he had buck fever and it was just a doe! lol, well he laughed and said, "i dont care if i did miss, that was awesome"!! thats what i wanted to hear.