Hunter Safety Course

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does your state require you to take a Hunters Safety Course? How many have taken this course? Is it offered in your area? I have never taken it and was hunting many years before it was offered.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I took it back in high school. I'm old enough to not have to have it in Arkansas but it is required for people born after a certain date, I think early 1970's. I have went to Colarado hunting and I am required to have it to hunt there even being born in 1962. The age is different but they are set up the same way, I can't remember what the age was for Colarado that it was not required but it was something like people born before 1948? The test is an easy test and is mostly common sense questions.

3. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    WV requires it for anyone born after a certain date. Im not sure of the date without looking but I had to take it. It was general gun safety and hunting safety info. We also handled various types of weapons and traps. it was 4 or 5 hr each night for 4 or 5 nights.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It is required for hunting on any woods property in our state. Must have a visible ID indicating you passed and your certified.:wink:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It wasnt required when I took it in 69 but it is now here in New Mexico. I think its a good idea. IThink the date is after 80 here. I remember my son had to take in and he was born in 85.

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    In Kansas anyone born after July 1 1957 must have a hunter safety card. I took the coarse when my boys did in the early 70s even though I was not required to. It would not hurt anyone to take the coarse.

7. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I did not have to take a test. When the rule came out all I had to do was prove I had a hunting license before the rule became a law.
    When I came moved to california I gave them proof of a hunting license I had in R. I. That was all I ever needed. JUST proof Of a HUNTING LICENSE before the rule went into effect.

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i have never took it i am like you Mickey i grandfather'd in

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    At my age, I for sure never had any hunting safety course. :smile2:

First hunting I remember was jackrabbits in west TX. Dad's 12 ga Winchester pump would almost knock me down. Then years later got a Mossberb 22LR bolt action repeater for my 12th birthday.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I'm old enough that I don't need it. Have gone thru it 3 times now with grandkids. Getting ready for #4. So far all of them have taken their first deer on my farm.

11. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Yes, we are required to have the hunters safety course. However I have been granfathered past the course cause of my age. But anyone can take the course. I set in with my daughter when she went to the Hunters Safety Course. It was a very good course.

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Out here in Cali it's required ...When i moved to central Cail there is such a huge population of duck hunter's and hog hunter's they offer the course's in most of the church's .....my son past his course at 7 year's old lol But i think his motovation was cause he could eat more four legged animal's lmao He's a perrty big boy:smile2:

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ohio is required now, I am probably grandfathered in but Im sitting in with my oldest son so I decided to just take it also.

14. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i hasd to take it i was born in 95...but any were from 12 to 17 you have to take it...in iowa!bass pro has a class every 2 weeks. a month before hunting season it is every week

15. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Wv now has an experimental thing where they were going to offer it to a couple schools in the southern part of the state, but I dont know if they went through with it. Its a very good course for young and old alike. Any of you guys who havent taken it should. I think you would like it.

16. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It was an elective class when I was in high school..I took it when I was a freshmen in 87'...It was required for me to get a hunting license...