Hunt or Fish during the fall months??

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Seth, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I usually don't do a lot of fishing once September 15 rolls around and it's bow season. This year I have my own boat now though and discovered that snagging is open on the Mississippi from September 15 - December 15 also.

What about everybody else from MO, do you quit fishing and start hunting all the time, keep fishing and don't hunt, or split time between both?

I've got too many things to choose to do in the fall. There's snagging carp on the Mississippi, hun deer and turkeys, fly fish for monster brown trout on Taneycomo, chase big catfish, or gig suckers. It's a good problem to have I guess though. :smile2:

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    It's an easy choice for me cause all I do is FISH!!!!

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Come hunting season....my rods start collecting dust.

4. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Haha same here so id have to say fish. :-D

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Actually i try to do a little of both!!!

6. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    THE FALL MONTHS ARE SOME OF MY BEST FISHING MONTHS

7. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    That's a hard call, right now i would say i would hunt in the mornings and fish in the evenings. But when it comes to that time I'am sure my fishing will slow down after the 15th, and probably almost halt in october.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Fish eat all year and, I ain't for sure but, I think they will actually take a bait or two all YEAR LONG, LOL!!! I never stop fishing, the bite only gets better as fall rolls in.

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LOL Hunt the big fish, and a deer or two, Hmm, sounds like the pressure may be easing up a bit on the MO. water, LOL

10. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    I love to fish to much to stop in the fall, besides it only gets better and cooler.

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We actually do both well my better half dont cotton to ice fishing , but this year we are going to try something different. We have many areas of public land that never see action due to it being a 5 mile walk in. Well we are planning of taking our boat in and fish along the way and look for heavily used deer trails. Like most areas deer dont see humans cause nobody wants to drag out a 200 pound deer 6 miles!! But would be a cinch in a boat!!!:tounge_out:

12. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hunt, and fish, nothing says you can't do both. I have seen some monster cats caught after September 15th. The water cools off and these big boys are looking to fill up their bellies before food gets scarce for the winter months.

Just remember, hunting the monster white tail, or the whopper cat fish, Stay safe, respect nature, but most of all, Have Fun!!:smile2:

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Let's see, I'm gonna bowhunt some new public ground on the Mississippi this year, so Morning-Hunt, Afternoon-Fish, Evening-Hunt....Sounds like a plan to me!!

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I like to squirrel hunt. There's this conservation area that has an old oxbow lake in it and the hillside above it is full of squirrels. Reading this thread got me to thinking, I could set up a couple of rigs on that oxbow and keep an eye on them through the scope while I'm waiting on the fuzzy tailed rodents. Or I could sit by my lines and watch for squirrels. Hmmm, I think I've found something that would cause me coworkers to think I'm even more of a hick than they already do.....and I could get have a combo squirrel/fish fry....It just gets better the more I think about it:big_smile:

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO

Hmmm....sounds like your on to something there. Maybe I can go hunt Howell Island and fish at the same time. Let's see, I could have a blind on the water edge with some rods pointing towards the river and then face the otherway and watch for deer.....yep I think that'd make me a redneck. :smile2:

I wonder if I would have enough room for a cooler of shad and the rest of my hunting junk in the blind though.:eek:oooh:

16. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    I enjoy just practice shooting the bow in the early weekdays and then fishing just before dark, then going bowhunting on the weekends. Then once middle of october hits the fishing reels get put up and the truck gets filled up with the winter hunting equipment.

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Seth, just put some of that nasty smelling buck lure stuff on a cotton ball, that'd be sure to catch you something....:wink:

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Both,
    Hunt at dawn,hit the lake about 9 am when it starts warming up.Head for work around noon,hopefully with something in the trunk to clean and vacuum seal :)

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Come Sept 1 I start hunting dove, and then teal ,then deer with a bow......well you can see where I am going with this. I love to fish but I really love to hunt.

20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I do both. Like to bow hunt but havent the last few years like I use to. Plan to get in a little more this year. Rifle season will find me over a corn field up north on the opener. Usally can limit in a day or two there so it doesnt take long. Enjoy duck hunting when there down and rabbit, quail and pheasant when it snows. Winter water means the bluecats are stacked up in the holes so on days that arent too cold I'm fishing.