Hundreds of channel catfish!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Old Bill, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hundreds of channel catfish went into my one-acre pond last Friday!:smile2:

Actually, I believe the count was 300 two-inch long Channel Catfish!

Plus some 500 one-inch long Bluegills!

I picked up the fish at the Lawton (Medicine park) Fish Hatchery last Friday. Two real friendly men weigh the fish and put them into four 5-gallon plastic bags, along with a squirt of oxygen into each bag.

If I had owned a 20-acre pond I would have had to have a truck to haul all the bags of fish and water!:roll_eyes:

I may be getting some baby bass in a few months.

Hopefully in about two years I will have some eating size catfish in the pond. Provided we don't have a drought and the pond doesn't dry up, and the damn Egrets don't eat all the fish!:006:

Viva the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation!!:smile2::smile2:

2. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    nice!, thats alot of fish! gonne be fun catching em for a fish fry :smile2:

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Hey Bill! good going! where do you live, what is the exact location of your pond, and when will you NOT be there?:wink::smile2:

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Now Phil! You gotta wait until they grow a little bigger!:smile2:

Then if 20% of the babies survive...we will have a fish fry...provide some of you guys come help catch and clean them!:wink:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Bill, keep the shotgun handy for the close shots and the 22 magnum handy for the long shots. You'll have to keep those fish eaters ran off the pond or they will wipe ya out. Now ya know it's illegal to kill them so just hit close enough to scare them real good :wink:.

6. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Give em a few years and you oughta have a reel nice eatin-size fishin pond. Great move on your part in that regard!

7. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Throw some little pieces of dog food out everday and I bet thell get big:wink:

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    777, with my failing eye sight I'd better aim for them...that way I won't hit the dang birds.

Actually I have an old Red Rider BB gun that will just about shoot across my pond....if I aim about 20-feet above the bird!:smile2:

They do squawk and fly away when hit!:eek:oooh:

9. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bill that is so cool. I hope one of these days I either live on a big lake or have some type of fishing pond right outside my house.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good start, hopefully those bluegills will grow quickly so that the baby cats don't clean them out.

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Brad, we have lived on this property for 40 some years.

The pond has given us a lot of enjoyment thru out the years. A couple of years after we first stocked the pond the fishing was outstanding! Nice largemouth bass and 2 lb catfish! Plus all the red and blue gills the kids wanted to catch on bread.

But, throughout the years the pond has dried up twice and all the fish killed.

I'm hoping that in a couple of years the fishing will once again be good. It's been 15 years since I fished the pond! Too busy going to the lake!!:eek:oooh:

12. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    If I'm ever out that way I'll have to leave a message on the local Oklahoma catfishing post. If I owned enough property I would do the same. Sounds like you are going to have catfish nuggets for quite some time. Awesome for the kids. I can remember as a youngster learning to fish on my grandpa's friend's private pond. Hope the season's are good to ya and it doesn't dry up. Take it easy.

Sean!

13. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've been going to the feed store and picking up 50lb bags of Purina Fish Chow. I got a little pond at the new house and the only thing in there was frogs. I've put a couple hundred bluegill, a few bullhead and six 2 to 5 pound channel cats. The bullhead reproduced very quickly and now have a thousand or so 1 to 2 inch bullhead and the perch have started to reproduce. This will manily be the bait pond for fishing trips but it fun to throw food out there and watch all the fish come to the surface to eat there fish chow.

Those perch can reproduce I heard up to six times in a year there Bill. You'll have a good pond very soon.

14. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    I've got an animal-lover buddy that watched a heron spear and then fly off from his pond with a $3500 Koi a few weeks back... Getting closer and closer to getting him to let me keep a few monster bream for dinner, seein' as something is gonna eat 'em anyway !!!

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I had planned on buying some fish food today...but, here the day is half gone and I'm sitting here at the computer! Ha! Maybe Monday.

Chris, your pond looks very nice! No doubt you will enjoy it for many years to come.

I wonder how long it would take for a monster flathead, like the one in your avatar, to clean out a pond like our small ponds?:eek:oooh:

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Ed, I'm not sure I wouldn't have the big-heart-attack if I saw my $3500 fish being taken away! Of course, if I could afford to own a fish that cost that much...maybe it wouldn't hurt so much!:smile2:

Someone broke into a commerical Koi store in OKC a week or so ago. I believe the paper stated they made off with $40,000 or more in Koi fish!

That's a lot of money for some colored carp!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

17. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Dang! I sure hate to admit that someone with my outstanding brain power made a mistake...but, I did!:smile2:

In my first message of the thread I said I believed I had put 500 Bluegills and 300 Channel Catfish in my pond.

Well, I've been thinking about the 300 catfish and the more I pondered on that large number of catfish in my one-acre pond I started to wonder if perhaps I had misunderstood the number.:crazy:

This afternoon I called the State Fish Hatchery and was told that my Bluegill fish count was correct, but I only received about 100 Channel Catfish.:eek:oooh:

That does seem to be a more likely number that a one-acre pond could support.

Of course, the lesser number may put a cloud over the fish-fry I had planned in two years! Lets see...the Egrets will most likely eat half of the fish...leaving me with 50 catfish. The snapping turtles maybe 20...leaving 30...out of which at least 10 will die from heat/cold stroke or other accidents.

Of the 20 left, no doubt my neighbor's teenage boys will sneak in during the night and cart off at least 10 over the summer!

So...with only 10 catfish left...things don't look good for the fish fry! Sorry Guys!!:wink::wink:

18. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Bill,

I'm thinking we stocked the wrong fish in our ponds. We could be making a killing selling fancy colored carp.:smile2::smile2:

19. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Bill,

For many years when I fished with a friend of mine at his place we stocked a lot of big blues and big flatheads into his 1.5 acre pond. Two years ago my buddy decided to redo his pond. The pond was very old 70 plus years and the silt was over 4 feet deep in the pond. He made it about twice the size now about 2.5 acres. When we busted the dam with the dozer we figured that there wouldn't be hardly any bait fish left. We transported thousands of bluegill and large shad to other nearby ponds so as not to got to waste. All the big fish were alive and for the most part healthy. I don't think they put on much more weight but they ate enough to survive. The largest fish we put in there was a 53 pound flathead and was 48 pounds 7 years later after putting him in.

I don't recommend putting large blues or flatheads in ponds but one or two smaller flats shouldn't do much harm if your pond is at least a acre. There not going to reproduce and can always be taken out if they become a problem. I'd wait for a few years if your thinking of putting a single flat in your pond.