Humpback flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dinkbuster1, May 15, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    freind of mine caught another "humpback" flatty today. we seem to get 2 or 3 a year out of the river, they are usually small but i did catch one years ago that went 22lb. freind thought they might get this way due to another fish trying to eat them when they are young, but i beleive they might have a "bad gene", or birth defect because the ones we catch are almost identical. then again maybe its all of the pollutants in the river:confused2:. anyone else caught any "humpbacks"?

Attached Files:

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Incest Catfish Ahhhhh!

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Reminds me of the many trout we catch with deformed backbones which happen from the Great Blue Heron, perhaps there is a scar along the upper back to confirm that. The strikes are about 1/2 inch a cross and triangular in shape. Just a thought, and at least your catching fish, deformed freak mutations of nature or not, it has whiskers and Im jealous...:crazy:

Salmonid

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
  5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dink, what can I say, I'll never beat that LOL congrats

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have a pic of it somewhere, not a good one though. if i can find it i'll post it on this thread.

7. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I havn't heard of anybody catching any humpbacked catfish around here. Could it be some kind of pollutant thay are getting aholt of ?

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Thats kinda of neat looking...ok really neat looking....if i typed more carefully i'd be able to stop editing messages.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Do you fish near a Nuclear Power Plant?

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Awesome wish I could catch one like that

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lmao, good one! actually we talked about "incest" between flats today when we caught it. seeing how we catch 2-3 a year, and the river we fish is dam'ed every 5 miles on average, the flats dont get to migrate like they would in a free-flowing river and could be re-circulating the genetic deformity. here is the pic of the 22lb'er i caught back in '95. it had a side-to-side spine deformity so im guessing it was scoliosis. pic does it no justice, it also had a huge lump right behind its head just like the flat my freind caught today .

Attached Files:

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The only thing that comes to mind is wow, then comes the wish that that doesn't come over here. I've never heard or seen such a thing. Maybe thats just where he stores his water for the dry season LOL:canny:

13. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How do you spell flathead? FL.. humpback humpback AT..humpback humpback TY..humpback humpback!:big_smile:

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    have caught channels n bass like that never a flatie though. been catchin flatheads with forked wiskers the last few years. used to have pictures of them on here but were lost in the move.

just eatum anyhow mike they probably wont hurt ya. lol

15. tdfishhard

tdfishhard New Member

State:
    Charleroi, PA
    There is one on display @ Cabalas in WV, it was caught in the Ohio river, it's over 30lbs

16. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    man that looks wierd lol.

17. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We caught a blue last year that was deformed. But it was obviously from being attacked. Its body vertically was big enough to support a 2-3# fish but it was only about 13 inches and its looked like its back had been broken, it was bent instead of 180 degree was like 145. But the fish was health otherwise.

18. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Ok, having scoliosis myself, I have to step in on behalf of these poor fish and tell you all to quit picking on the poor buggers! :wink:

19. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Definately different, but interesting. Never seen anything like it up in Nebraska, but doesn't mean it's not around.

SudDawg