Hummminbird w/SI

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by dhogue, May 29, 2007.

1. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Hello again BOC members, I did not get a chance to go out yesterday, I was wondering if any member purchased the new Humminbird SI 997c or the 797c tell me what you think of it, I purchase the 997c but have not had a chance on the water with it.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have the 987c-SI and have a buddy that bought the new 997. Let me tell you. Do not mount it on your boat.
    It will stop your fishing. Yes the fish will not bite with it on the boat. As you spend way to much time looking at the bottom of the river. And not fishing like you used to.
    It will open up a new world for you.
    Also go to humminbirds web site register the unit. And then download the program for your PC. That will allow you to load updates for the unit.

I got o update my 987 yesterday. Now I can save videos of the screen also now.
    Pete

3. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Thanks for the info, you scared me for a minute I thought I purchase something that I had to return, I will register and down load the update, Thanks Again your BOC friend Devlyn.:cool2:

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    How much do they go for???

CP

5. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    They have two prices for the units, 797c is $999.99 with Navionices and Fishing Hot Maps Gold &1199.99 the 997c is $1999.99 with Navionics and Fishing Hot Maps $2199.99

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've got the 797C and it's pretty sweet. The SI feature is almost like looking at a black and white picture of the bottom. So far it's worked great on the river. I haven't been able to pick up fish on the bottom with the side image feature, but you can tell a stump from a rock, brush piles look like brush piles, it's kind of crazy. The GPS and regular sonar features work pretty great as well. If you already use Humminbirds it's great because the menu functions and things work about the same as they do on other Humminbird units. The only drawback I've seen so far (and it's most likely an installation issue) is that the sonar loses the bottom at over about 20MPH. I'm pretty sure that I just need to double check how I mounted the transducer and that will get better.

7. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I looked at one at Bass Pro Shop today, sure wish santa claus would bring me one..

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Devlyn, you are getting ready to open a whole new world to finding structure. I have had mine less than 2 months and have already won my first tournament because of it. Like Pete said, watch where your going because, you'll get so busy watching the depth finder and will run over a buoy or tree.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Where is my cut of the Check?
    Your just like a guy here. Take him out and show him the BEST Depth finder out there. And not get my piece of the Winnings..:roll_eyes:
    Pete

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    So there is a major problem with these things:crazy:...I knew it! They are a "distraction" to fishing:lol::lol::lol: Did the box come with a warning lable?:lol:

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Let me tell you. Stuff will jump out in front of you. I think that is the reason, The Side imaging only works at slow speeds. Just think what would happen if it worked at say 40 MPH..
    I will have to say. I bumped a buoy the first trip out with mine. :eek:oooh: It was a cold windy day in Feb.:lol:
    Pete

12. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    I haven't been on the water with mine yet, I think you mis-lead the thread, there's no problem with the unit nor the fish, you just don't fish much if you you spend your time watching the screen, I will be out this week end trying mine out for the first time. I will give an up-date with the big Blues I catch. I really do think that I'm going to enjoy this Humminbird, for those BOC members want to see this Humminbird in action go to www.humminbird.com and click on Side Imaging to see for your self.

13. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Devlyn, Does that unit do the cursor freeze-zoom on objects like the 997? I am so impressed with the 997 for its ability to do this. Unreal, love that.:lol:

I agree these things should come with an accessory driver or device for steering the boat while in use!:lol::lol:

14. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Meant Branden. Devlyn, least theres now plenty to do when they aren't bitting.

15. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Yes, it has the stop freeze,snap shot and record, the 997c NVB is the one I purchased.

16. chisamsr

chisamsr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Come on Dev lets get that boat wet.

17. chisamsr

chisamsr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I mean slim from some big cats

18. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I went fishing this weekend with the new 997 , it looks like a dang TV while I am out there. I should be watching the nascar race on that thing. One thing I can tell you it is one heck of a unit. Will be messing with it for a few months now to learn everything about it.

There is things down there you never new was there. :lol:

19. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Was curious of the target separation of the 997 and learned (read on another site) the 455 freq gives 2.5inch separation. The 800 frequency is higher definition so guessing its better.....anyone know?

20. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Correction- 2.5" target separation with the sonar down sonar part, side scans what I cant find info on. Figuring some formula of vert.screen pixels x xducer frequency (455khz and 800) and ping speed/boat speed.

Ping speed set highest would make sense for best definition.