Hummingbirds

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I started feeding them last year and now I have more than I can handle. Them little suckers are drinking over a quart of sugar water a day. It's kind of hard to imagine something that little drinking that much, but they go at it all day long.

I have 3 feeders hanging just outside the window and have to fill them every day.

Here's a photo I took this morning.

Attached Files:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Send some of them my way. I've been trying for years, they don't like me. All my neighbors have plenty of them, they just won't move over to my feeders. I must admit, after changing the water every other day, I get lax after not seeing a single one come to it. I've moved it to different locations, didn't help. No dangers around for them to be scared of, they simply are mean and cruel. They hate me.:sad_2a:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    See? I told you. Them is mean and nasty little critters!

4. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I love hummingbirds. They amaze me. Too hot here though. Keep feeding them it's worth it.

5. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I've been thinking about putting one out my neighbors got feeders but that scares me feeding that much

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I wish I had your problem I see one about once a week at our feeder.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd like to get a hummingbird feeder and see If I can attract them.I've never seen any around here.Thanks for sharing the pics!

8. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    You are a lucky man those look like some big humming birds the ones around here are about one and half inches long

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I mix 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Did I mention that hummingbird tongues are guaranteed blue cat over 50lb bait?Sorry just kidding:eek:oooh: :tounge_out: .I have about 4 of the little rascals and I never get tired of watching them.I actually feel sad in Oct when they migrate out of here .My cat watches for days after they leave and we can't wait for May when they come back.John they are extremely territorial so the male is simply doing his duty from his perspective:smile2: I use the red stuff you get in the gallon jug at Walmart with lots of sugar.One thing I have found is that you can attract more by having colorful stuff in the area.I have 5 cafe tables on my deck with umbrellas and when I open the umbrellas more come around.Someone told me to put a few beach balls out but the best way is to plant flowers they really like.What totally amazes me is they migrate to the Yucatan penisula every year.That is a long flight from here for such a tiny thing.:tounge_out: :smile2: :lol:

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats neet Mark, I also enjoy the little birds. If I don't get their feeders out before they get back here from Mexico they flutter in front of the kitchen window and wait for me to get the food out there. I can't prove it but it just has to be the same bird every year. They come,several of them and feed heavy then for a couple weeks you don't see the as much and then all the sudden there are more of them. it is hard to tell the young because they are all small. They leave and head to Mexico all at the same time and they return sometimes the very day as last year but never more or less than a couple days off.

I like Hummers

12. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Humming birds are fun to watch, I remember when I was growing up spending a couple weeks in the summer with my grandma. She had 10 of those feeders outside of the front window of the house. Once they find a good source of food they will continue to come back.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    John hahaha I'm glad to find out I wasn't the only dumb a-- that did that.
    :big_smile: :smile2: :roll_eyes: I went for three days until I went out and tasted it to see if it was bad or something then went and read the instructions.:tounge_out: Fortunately the birds stuck around.:smile2:

14. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    We get this one on our door every morning.

Gave these to my wife for our 30th anniversary in June. When the sun's right, they really sparkle. She feeds the birds outsdie the door, and the pond is to the left. A young fella in Centerville made them for me. I had to make special brackets to get 4 suction cups to hold the glass behind each one so they wouldn't bang the glass. Weight is taken by the chain.

Dennis

Attached Files: