Hummingbirds

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Last year I saw a couple of hummingbirds around the house, so I went out and bought a feeder. I hung it on the front porch where I could view it while sitting on the couch. I was amazed at the number of hummingbirds it attracted. They would fight over it. I put another one on the back deck and they would come up and feed while we were sitting just a foot or two away.

I mix 3 parts water to 1 part sugar in the feeders and they would go through about a quart a week. They should be coming back around mid April. Anyone else into feeding hummingbirds?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yes mark I do and if you could tell one from the other most time the same ones come back to a good feeding place every year.
    I have to get onto my wife for trying to leave them out to long because it makes some of them stay to long and they don't survive the first cold spell.

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I've had them for the past 15 years. Fun to watch. They Will protect their food source, thats for sure. Hard to believe they fly up all the way from mexico, but I guess it beats walking. :D Never have found one of their nests, but mine do raise younguns. How many, I don't have a clue.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Their little leggs are so short it would be winter by the time they got there! LOL. We feed the birds but don't have humming bird feeders, We talked about getting some this year. We really enjoy having them around the house and watching them.

5. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have one in my boat. i watch it constantly. feed it a little electricty and it comes back year after year. lol

seriously, i really like trying to attract different birds to my deck. i think the hummingbirds are really cool , so territorial for there tiny size. i really like the oriels, (spell?) beautiful birds.
    catwacker

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I enjoy watching them. The most I've ever seen was years ago camping in the Colorado Rockies. We kept a couple large feeders hanging on the camper. The hummingbirds would wake us every morning there were so many. Those little fellows would get in all kinds of fights trying to get to get a spot at a feeder.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They will dive bomb you here. I mix mine 4 to 1.
    Pete

8. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I made a mistake. I also mix mine 4 to1.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It is true, the same birds come back year after year, I don't know how long they live. It took me 3 years of looking to find my first nest. I believe I had seen their nest before but didn't know it. The nest looks like a knot or bump and they are no bigger than a quarter. If I don't get their food out before they arrive they go to the kitchen window and flutter up and down looking inside until I get the message. If you sit on your porch wearing a red hat with a flower on it they will get busy but watch out for the discharge, many times they poop at the same time they eat.

If you put out more than they can eat they will have more young and if you keep more out all summer than they can eat they will bring friends from mecico next year. I have had as many as 45 to 50 birds. If in the middle of the summer you may think they are gone, don't bring in the feeders they are nesting. You will see them again after they have babies but you won't know some are as they are about the same size. I don't remember the date on the calender but about 1 week before they leave I make their food with more sugar. the first week half sugar half water then 3 to 1 and again half and halk just before they leave. mark it on your caldner when they come and go, you will find they use the same time each year, sometimed to the day but always within a few days.

Have fun

danny

10. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    I've become partial to having them around. Last year, I set up a double hanging feeder station, a few feet outside of my computer area window. It didn't attract very many, just what I believe was a loyal following of four or five birds.

Later in the season, when the bees became drawn around the feeders, the fights started. It was always interesting to see if a bird would chase off the bee, or vice versa. Around here, they are about equally matched. lol

The location of my feeder station allows for some direct sunlight later in the afternoon. That's when I have the best opportunity to see their iridescent "Ruby" throat band. When it catches the light just right, it's almost electric, like a neon sign.

Mike

11. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    They are great to watch and they drive my wifes cat crazy. Bonus!

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We keep 2 feeders full, one off the back deck and another off the front where we can watch them right out the windows. My neighbor has 2 also and several others that live around here feed them . They dive around everywhere here, as each feeder has one trying to guard it but they have a hard time keeping up with the numbers of them.
    They really go at it caseing each out and fighting, there funny sounding chirping as they get mad.
    The males arrive first and after the babys are out the female seems to guard the feeders at times.
    We buy them hummingbird mix as it has the vitamins and other things they need in it.

Bubbakat, we use to think that also and would pull the feeders a couple of weeks before they migrated, but have since learned its a myth and its actually better on them if you leave them out. It gives them the needed nutrients they need to make it and they will still leave in time when they are ready to go.

13. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    One of our feeders has perches on it. I'm going to get a couple more this year with the perches. I like to watch them just sitting there taking an occasional sip and looking around for invaders.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I fed them for 3 or 4 years. The neighbor boy was fascinated by them. He had never seen any. I think it was the quietest he ever was in his life. LOL.
    Anyway, they stopped feeding at the feeders and stayed on my flowers so much, I took down the feeders a couple of years ago. They come right up to the front door and peer in after visiting my hanging basket by the door. Strange to come eye to eye with them staring at you. I love to hear them whisk by. Usually I hear them before I see them.

Have any of y'all seen a hummingbird moth? I find them fascinating too. They usually feed on cloudy days or at dusk on a sunny one. If you haven't seen one, look them up on the web. I bet you've seen them and might not have known what they were at the time. Swampy taught me they come from cut worms, which is an irony in itself.

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There are websites that show you the travel of various humming birds in the US, and their routes of migration.

Some sites have forums which people will give the sightings in their area as the birds come back in the spring.

I've got to get some feeders this year.

16. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    We get quite a few, and they are very territorial about the feeder. Our garedn pond plnatings seem to draw them in. Some come in pairs, and they are great to watch. The only ones we get are Ruby Throated. My wife actually gets 'em to drink out of her hand after a few weeks.