HUMMINGBIRD SMART CAST Fish Finder Review : Fish finder from the river bank

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tncatfishing, Dec 15, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Has anybody seen or are using the little fish finder that you cast with your pole, kinda like a bobber and as you real it in it sends a signal to either a screen you wear on your wrist, for 69 dollars or one that clamps to your pole for about 100 dollars. Walmart has these on their website. I need to check and see if bass pro has them. Might be a christmas gift to me from me. Would come in handy if they work good. :D :know-big:

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Thank you to whoever put the hummingbird finder into my post. Sometimes my mind fails me and I forget what I am suppose to remember.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mark,

Not a problem, just trying to help. Hopefully you get some first hand experience answers. I myself have never used one, but they do look very interesting and useful for those who fish the banks.

Thanks,
    Paul

4. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I've seen them before and i know that bass pro and Dicks both have them. Except im not sure if you use them on a seperat line or what because the wrist watches with the screen have a alarm on it if a fish enters into the viewing area. They look like they would come in really handy and i was considering going in half for one with a fishing buddy of mine.
    zac

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    mark, keep your eye on the giveaway section of the BOC :0a10:
    a little bird told me there may be one there before too long ;)
    and get a profile pic up :D

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I bought the one with the wrist mounted screen, looks like a watch. The screen is awfully small, mainly good for depth, but not much detail. I took mine back when it stopped working after the third trip. Traded it for an Eagle Cuda 168, much better. Seems the castable transducer gives out a lot with the smart cast system. Bought it at Academy, a chain of sporting goods stores in parts of the Southwest and South. The salesman told me that the store gets more returns on the smartcast than any other system. Best seems to be Eagle, Lowrance, and Garmin. I've since seen some other reviews of the smartcast, none too favorable.

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    ive been also thinking about getting one of the smart cast but i dont like the small screen that is on the pole mounted one or the watch one they do have a model that comes with a larger screen for a little more money

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I have the RF-10. Has the large display, only thing is I haven't took it out of the box yet. Will do a product review on it in Jan.
    Will

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Phil I hope to get a pick up this weekend if I can get over to bluecatnuts place and have him put it up for me. Hopefully I will catch a good striper or cat tomorrow while I am stocking up on bait.

10. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    There are a couple of concerns I would have with the castable transducer:

• Transducers are typically fragile. Bumping them off of stumps when they are on your boat ruins them so what about casting them into the air and having them land hard on the water?
    • I would think that water would have to be glass for the returns to get back to the transducer. Any chop at all and that thing would bob and you would loose the signal.

Scott

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The transducer runs under water, its weighted for casting. They are a bit fragile though, everyone I've talked to that has one has had to either return it or contact Humminbird about replacing the transducer. Humminbird is pretty good about replacing the things, but that's a pain in the rear. Get a real depthfinder if you need a bigger screen. You'll be happier with it.

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    a new replacment transducer is about 20.00, been thinking of getting one and rig it up to remote control boat and that way u wouldn't have to trow it and you would be able to move it to where ever. I also think would also work good on moving water

13. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    Thats an interesting idea. I would be curious how well it works for you.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    riverbud... i had the same idea about it as you... but i can't find a good RC motorboat thats reliable...

I bought one of the smart casts about 5 months ago... used it a few times, don't know how accurate it is but it did give consistant depth readings the few times i've used it... the biggest problem with it is its range... 25yds on a glass lake day... any chop it cuts down the distance by huge amounts... If you are stuck to shore i would say get one if you Really must but i would wait for a better model to come out...

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Photocat have you tried looking on tower hobbies. You can find alot of true rc boats that have a range of more than a quarter mile. Some can be very expensive others can be resonable. A deep vee or cattamaran would work pretty good. A package deal including boat,controller,charger and battery would be your best bet. That is if you want electric you could always go gas or nitro. :D :D

16. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Wow i figured they would be more dependable than that. Hearing your reviews they dont sound to positive. Hey Gadzooks how much does that Eagle Cuda 168 cost i wouldn't mind to get one of those if they work well?

zac

17. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    here is a decent portable one that isnt to bad

Humminbird PiranhaMAX 10 Portable Fish Finder
    Specifications

Depth capability: 600 feet
    Display window size: 3-7/8-inch diagonal
    Display matrix: 160v x 132h
    Display type: 4 level grayscale high contrast LCD
    Power output: 100 watts
    800 watts
    Operating frequency: 200 khz
    Transducer: inside hull or transom mount
    Power input range: 10-20 VDC
    Mounting: easy-on, easy-off tilting mount
    Key Features
    Self-contained carry case with ergonomic handle, transducer cable wrap and non-skid bottom
    Operates on 8 AA alkaline batteries.
    Suction cup transducer mounts on most smooth surface wood, fiberglass and aluminum hulls
    High-definition 160V x 132H LCD display for sharper image
    True 4-level grayscale delivers a clearly better image of bottom, fish and structure
    Single-beam sonar optimized to deliver bottom detail and coverage
    Big, easy reading digital depth
    Easy one-touch control accesses full set of advanced features
    Water temperature included
    Ultra-compact size mounts almost anywhere
    Backlit display for night fishing
    Built marine tough and waterproof
    Made in the USA
    Additional Features

Advanced zoom option reveals fish and structure near the bottom
    Large, easy-to-read digital depth and temperature readouts
    Protective bezel with recessed lens
    3-level alarm sounds at the presence of fish targets
    Adjustable depth alarm from 2 to 99 feet
    Simulator mode lets you learn the features without being on the water
    Easy-on, easy-off mounting system
    Feature memory remembers settings

the cuda 168ex is on sale at cabellas for 89.99

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think cabelas had both kinds for 59 or 69 but after reading this post i dont think I want to try it out any more.

19. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have a friend that has one of the wristwatch style it works fine he learned not to cast it. it does what he wants for the most part but he is looking at that portable unit i posted above. the 168 cuda i had on my last boat it was really nice for a entry level unit to be honest i like the screen better then my lowrance 125. which is 299 to 399 depending on where you buy it and what all you get with it. :eek:

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My Cuda 168 cost $88 at Academy in Houston. The also have a website if you are into ordering off the web. Believe its academy.com, but may be wrong. There's also the 128. Its at least $10 cheaper. Not as many pixels, probably not quite as clear a picture, but it will do the job. Because I have both a canoe and kayak, I wanted my finder to be portable. Mounted the transducer on a piece of PVC about 18 inches long, slid a piece of pool noodle down over the PVC, and have a floating transducer. I operate the 168 off of 8 AA batteries...fit in a pocket if you want. The way to rig it for AA operation is to buy a 8 battery holder at Radio Shack. Will also need a 9 volt pig tail to snap onto the battery holder and then wire to the finder. I'm able to throw the transducer out about 8-10 ft if need be to get the depth. Not a lot, but it may tell you if you are wasting time bank fishing in an area.