Hummingbird Festival

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Jesse168, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Tad early aint it? Please say it's way too early. I don't want them to leave soo soon, seems like they just got here.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    This is the first year Ive had a feeder. I have one that will buzz right up to my face now. Actually buzzed about 2 feet into the house while I was refilling the feeder one day. Neat little birds.

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My wife takes pictures of them, we have always had feeders........they buzz here while she is filling it up.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just filled my feeder earlier tonight, they buzz me too. When Fay came through last week they must of really needed energy to keep warm and dry I guess. They sat on the feeder most all day all through the storm and rain, drank it all in a week. I tried takin some pics, have to check, if they came out I'll post em.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    It gets so hot here I only fill mine 25% and change it every 3-4 days so it dont sour. I can tell when it starts to get cloudy.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Here's a couple of the hummingbird I caught out my window. Sorry, the pics ain't great, I'm an amateur papparazzi....

Attached Files:

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Acouple more from when Fay was dumping rain on us....

Attached Files:

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Great pics Mike. Thanks for sharing.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I was figuring on a lake full of boats & fishin gear & electronics....oops. wrong hummingbird.

10. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Those are wonderful pics! We haven't had many here in a WHILE. I miss them, and we have a feeder. Some years they just cover us up but this year I was so dissappointed, I only saw one or 2 at most at a time. :sad2:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Same here, at first. Only had a couple drop by till about first of August. Now I got a swarm over each of the feeders. Poor little males that stake their claim eat the most, just to keep up with the energy needed to chase the other males off.:wink:

Never ceases to amaze me how much enjoyment I get out of watching them for hours on end. One of the rare excuses around this house on why nothing gets done, that I can get away with.

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep understand that. They usually start showing up here late June, early July. Then is Aug/Sep sometimes there will be 3-4... some years many more. A couple years ago I was counting 10-14 at one time fighting over the feeders. This year I only have about 4 right now I think....

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I hear if ya put out more feeders they tend to fight less. Gonna have to try it next year.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That would only be true if you put them far apart enough or at least apart in a way that the "protector" can't guard more than one. I have seen once where someone had them hanging on all four corners of the house, but even that was not enough. If there is a perch where the "protector" can sit and see more than one feeder, he will try to chase off any other males that go to any of those. Due to the shape of my home, I am able to put up 2 feeders with no problem. I could put up many more, but they would be too far away for me to enjoy. We all know, after all, it has nothing to do with providing food for the birds, it's about us enjoying watching them.:wink:

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, the most feeders I've had is 3 in the back yard, spread out pretty good, but the dominate bird seems to sit up in the oak watching them all, when an intruder drinks he swoops down and chases them off... They have quite a pecking order between them... They keep me guessing and entertained...:big_smile: