Hummingbird feeders.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by spoonfish, Apr 22, 2008.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The hummingbirds are back here. We put up 5 feeders yesterday and 1 oreole feeder. Today I had a pair of Oreoles at the feeders also. Time to put the feeders out....

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    we put ours out last week. didnt take long for them to find them.
    smokey

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes Sir, been hitting the juice for about 4 days now, I have looked at them Oriole feeders for a few years never put one out, can't say I have ever seen one around here?, but they sell the feeders every where???

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I got mine at Orchelins farm store Randy. There orange colored feeders but the orioles drink out of our regular hummingbird feeders at times also.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks for the reminder buddy I was planning on putting mine out this weekend but might do it tonight.I figured they would be back earlier this year as warm as its been.I sure do miss them when they are gone and nothing gets a bigger smile from me than to see them around the feeder.I always marvel that they can fly all the way down to the Yucatan peninsula and back!!!!!They are the tiniest of Davids against the Goliath of life.:smile2::wink:

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I had 2 at my feeder for about a week and they both disappeared. They werent ruby throated so they must be heading north. Im sure some more will be coming around.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Got 2 feeders up here, had 1 or 2 visiting so far. Got crazy last year we had about dozen fighting over them. Funny to watch.

8. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    We have one . Do you have to set up away from house? We couldnt get them to congregate on porch.

9. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Thanks for reminding me cuz I had totally let this slip my mind! I am mixing up some sugar water this evening soon as I get home!!!!.

Here is a standard sugar recipe and 2 sources that interate don't use HONEY!! It can cause them problems. I also read more than one source that informs NOT to use red dye in the liquid, as they don't need it to know their dinner is there. Red is a great color for the feeder itself though.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Got 2 on the deck and 2 on the garage. They have no problem coming up to the ones on the deck. I spend a lot of time out there so they get used to someone being around.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I like the "plate" style feeders. They are much easier to keep clean and refill. I keep one on the back deck and one in the front yard. Any recomendations on what would be a great hanging plant to put near them? I would prefer not to use fushia, as I have a hard time keeping them blooming all summer. I will be needing them rather quickly by the looks of the weather forecast her in St Louis area.

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have them right on the house outside the window. One is suction cupped right to the window. One landed on the perch the other day and drank for a long time, there must have been enough reflection on the window because my son slowly moved his face right up to it, he was about 6 inches away watching it drink and it didn't see him or didn't care, he thought that was fun.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    They remind me of my favorite fighter plane, F-14 Tomcat. :cool2:

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    We put up our feeder today in its usual place, right outside our living room window. Can't wait to see the little buggers come to their favorite watering hole. We also have a feeder for other birds in the front yard and there is always a bunch of them there enjoying the food while we are enjoying watching them feed.

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    No hummers here yet. The orioles have been hitting them hard though. Had a younger male and an older one fighting over one of the feeders yesterday.

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Went and bought a new feeder yesterday morning ,come home filled it and within 2 hrs time had 1 out there drinking out of it. I planted a couple of hummingbird vines last weekend.Hope they take off ok, maybe draw more around the house.Love watching them.