Hummingbird Feeders - Who Has Them?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fish, Aug 31, 2007.

1. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Judy and I have hummingbird feeders and was wondering how many of our friends here on the board have them also. We thoroughly enjoy watching the little birds feed and chase each other around. We have ours in front of our picture window and can be on the PC and watch them at the same time. What a wonderful show and we just love the little fellows. They have been feeding like crazy this week. They must be getting ready to head back to Brazil for the winter.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jim,
    Ours too have been feeding like crazy. We figured the same; must be time to fill the tanks...W

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We have four feeders right out side the front window also Jim. Also have 2 out back on the back deck. Added a oriole (sp) feeded in the front this year and have a pair of orioles that feed here every day. I can usally count at least 10 humming birds and up to 20 at a time. They have been going crazy here too the last couple of weeks. All the females brought there babys and the males cant keep up with chaseing them all.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    We have several out and like everyone else said they are hitting them hard. They are on their miagration back south. We have the kind that had the little flowers around the base. We pulled the flowers out and the orioles use them also. Haven't seen any orioles here in about a month. They left about the same time my martins gathered and headed south.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have two, could have more feeders. Hummingbirds up the Wazoo. We keep feeders out all the time they are here. It is a family thing. When someone dies in our family, if they are around they will land on our shoulders. we know someone has passed. (I ain't smoking the wrong thing here folks, well maybe I do occasionally, but not while I type this. They are getting ready to puff out of here for the season. I wish them the best of luck.

6. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have 4 feeders in front of our house and 1 feeder over by my dads place that I tend to. Earlier this spring the hummers were crazy, everywhere, around fathers day they thinned out, there wasn't as many but still a few. The last couple weeks now they have came back. I see so many out in the yard I can't even count them. But I have to fill 1 of my feeders every day sometimes twice a day, and about every 3 days on the others. I just love watching them. Going to really miss them in the winter. My husband and I spend our mornings talking over coffee and watching the hummers.

7. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    we have ours out an they are feeding like crazy the past few weeks got ous setting rite out our back window so we can watch them play as we eat

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We love the hummers and play with them we had 2 in our camper today!!! We have had them on our fingers we even have one we call chubs who guards the feeders!!! Hummers are Great!!!!

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Havent put any feeders out at this place yet ,Aint got no porch or trees ......yet ,porch is in the works and trees a bit later .We love em at our other place we had a huge mimosa tree at the front window and we had two feeders in it as well as suet feeders and reg, feeders .We were able to watch hummers as well as a great many other birds.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hung mine out the back window over the kitchen sink...Watch em while moma has me on KP. They have been sucking it up like crazy, and buzzing each other like the first air combat planes. It's a hoot. I've got a republican and four democrats fighting now....The republican keeps buzzing, "Mine!" & the dems just keep trying to get a lil something something, "There's enough for us all...". Too bad they will be gone before November. Like to see how it turns out.

:smile2:

11. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Wow, we had no idea so many folks love the little birds like we do. We plan to put out feeders for the winter birds this winter. The little birds are just wonderful to watch.

PB that is amazing that those little birds are harbingers of news to your family.

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jim they have done it for my father, my mother and an uncle. When they do it to my wife it will mean I am no longer here. But if the grass is green and the trees in leaf what more could a hummingbird ask than you put out a little nectar to supplant the bugs they normally eat. They are certainly cute little devils. I have looked for their nests for years and I haven't found them yet. I had one next to my ear yesterday. He didn't land so I know we are OK.

13. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My wife and I really enjoy watching and feeding the hummingbirds each year. We live in an old historic home near town, with a wrap-around porch. Nearly every evening we enjoy what we call "porch thirty", when I sip on my evening glass of red wine, and she sips on her ice water, as we watch the humming birds compete for the feeders. We have 3 on the front porch, and one in the back. We've been trying faithfully to attract them over the years by putting out the feeders in late February all the way to November. The past couple of years we've been rewarded, and have seen quite a few of the hummingbirds feeding... (for us, mostly in late July throught mid September). It truly is a pleasure to watch them try to "defend" one of the feeders, chasing each other around, or sitting on a nearby branch "guarding" the feeder from another intruder. There's lots of action, and they don't seem too shy about being close. We frequently have them buzzing within just a few feet of us. They seem to be somewhat curious at times, checking us out as we sit in porch rockers and porch swing. We can hear a faint but fast chirping sound that they make when they are close enough. (my wife hears this better than I can, haha). The hummingbirds are our favorite birds for sure! I wish them luck on their migration and hope to see them again next year. Thanks for your thread on these wonderful birds. :big_smile:

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    PB, I have seen one of their little nests. It is so small it is hard to know it is their nest. The one I saw was in a pine tree about 14 feet off the ground and looked like part of the tree. I saw the little bird land in it and climbed up there to see if it was a nest and it was. Can't climb trees anymore so they are safe.LOL It is unreal how small their nest is.

Harold, I can just see you and your wife sitting out there on the porch. I did restoration on antique homes for years in my career. Thanks for sharing buddy.

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We only have one Hummingbird feeder but several other bird feeders. We have had trouble with stinking Antz. I covered the pole with petro gel but the heat caused it to run and then harden somewhat. So I bought so double sided tape that should work better. Some of the seeds in the other feeders must have been morning glorys because they have came up all around the feeders. So at least they can eat from them.

16. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey buddy, it is good to see you here again. Thanks for sharing with us.

17. oldgrowler

oldgrowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    We have one feeder hanging from a tree right by part of the back deck. It's so comforting and entertaining to watch the hummingbirds chase each other. We will put two out next year. I love watching them.

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Next spring we hope to plant several different vine-type flowers along the fence plus have a couple more feeders. My wife called me earlier to say she was watching three of them fight over a place land.

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I used to put out feeders and watch them, but a few years back, they stopped feeding on them and went for my flowers. I tried to entice them that whole summer to no avail, to I gave up. Now I just watch them on the flowers all summer. Lack of rain seemed to keep them to a minimum this year, until the crape myrtle trees went into bloom and now they are everywhere.

I've never seen a nest either, but have read that they are about the size of a quarter. Tiny birds take a tiny nest.

Y'all ever see the hummingbird MOTHS? They usually come out at dusk and feed, but they hover like hummers. Someone told me they come from the tomato worm, and sure enough they do, so check them out on the web, if you've never seen one.

Take care.
    Cheryl

20. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    my mom has 2 outside our kitchen window. we love watching those little guys buzz around