Hummingbird 997si

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by dhogue, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Hello to all BOC members, if any one has a Hummingbird 997si or 797 is working for you. I'll be back on the water with mine in a few weeks, I just love mine 997si.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Geez Devlyn?:eek:oooh: You been hibernatin' or what? Long time no posts!

I am still having trouble getting high speed or even medium speed operation.:sad2: Thought it was the sedimentation levels in the Mississippi River but I've fished some lakes now and same results!

3. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Yes, I know I haven't been posting, my catches for 07 was pretty low. But I'm been reading alot of you all post. I'm back, did you ever down load from Humminbird to fix the speed, they just come out with a new version 3.940 that I down loaded for mine, remember high speed only works in down sonar not the side imaging, side imaging speed is 2 to 9 mph, if you are still having high speed problem I recommend you down loading the software for your unit. Once you have register your unit, you will have an account with Humminbird and they will tell which update software is avalible for your unit, I updated twice since I purchase my unit back in May of 07.

4. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I WILL have one within a week or so and have spent the winter researching them. An excellent site for info and troubleshooting them is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/ The site is by owners of the 997 ect. and is not connected with Humminbird (altho there are some Humminbird reps. that post there) One of the advertisers here on the BOC has them $400 cheaper than Cabela's and Bass Pro.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Devlyn, I start losing bottom on the main sonar at a pathetic 12mph. Just useless for finding holes and structure unless I am moving SLOW! Pain in the patootie!

6. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Again, I don't own a 997 (yet) but the problem you are having is probably cavation (air bubbles) passing under the transducer from a turbulence caused by the transducer location or something that happens under the boat as it comes up to plane. This is a very common problem, especially with the large transducer on the 997/1197. Not saying that it isn't software or anything else, just a good place to start.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The new update takes care of some of that. The rest is how the transducer is mounted.
    I know on my new boat. I will add a transducer in the hull and a switch. That way I can have high speed and use the high dollar ducer for slow work only.
    Pete

PS theres never been a Transducer this big to try and get to work for high speeds. If you will look the high speed ones are small. but I for one will give up high speed on it for what it does at low speed.s

8. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    One thing about installing it in the hull, Humminbird don't recommend it on aluminum boats.

9. T.O.CAT

T.O.CAT New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have the same problem as SkipEye if moving over 12mph it's a mess. I will have to try the download thanks for advice.