Hummingbird 997csi

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by tswebb71, Nov 27, 2008.

1. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I hate to beat a dead horse here but I am having problems getting readings at speeds over 20 mph. I believe I have the transducer mounted correctly. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I just believe that is all I am going to get with that behemoth transducer. I guess I will prolly install a cheaper unit with the transducer on the other side of the boat. It kind of sux to pay that much for a fishfinder and it not work the way it should.:confused2:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The side-imaging transducer isn't designed for high-speed operation. If you get lucky and find a mounting position that lets it work at high speed, that's a bonus.

I've lowered mine quite a bit more than I probably should and it will show the bottom (in 2-d only of course) all the way up to about 45 mph. The side imaging isn't useful at anything over about 7 mph in any case.

Try a different mounting location and see if it gets any better. If not, buy a second transducer for high-speed use.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    mine is getting better every time i adjust it but about 25m mph it goes nuts... the best solution have come up with is a thru hull transducer or high speed they make a harness and switch to do this.. you can talk with humminbird techs on this site and ask their advice...

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/index.php

4. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Can I use two transducers on the 997csi and use one for side imaging and one for depth at high speeds???:eek:oooh: It sounds too good to be true!!

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have my 987c-SI where it works at 35 MPH. Even on the SI it still shows the bottom and depth at that speed. Been 3 years getting mine tuned in. And still agree with what has been stated here. The big Transducer is not great at working at Speed.
    I plan on adding a standard Transducer for running next year. That and a switch. And go in that way for it working at speed.
    Pete

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes they have a cable that allows that to happen. Or use the switch like you used to have to use.
    pete

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I do exactly that with my 797, there is a Y cable available that allows you to use the transducers simultaneously. Basically the big transducer is always used for side imaging and temperature, the small transducer is always used for 2D / looking down. The Y cable makes the appropriate connections and there is no switch to worry about. An added bonus is that it allows you to mount the more expensive SI transducer a little higher and out of harms way, with the $50 2D transducer pushed down further into the water column where it can track bottom at high speed.

What I used:
    AS SIDB Y - Y cable for 797, 997, 1197 $25
    XNT 9 20 - 2D Transducer $50

You might double check with Humminbird on the transducer, that is the correct one for the 797, but I'm not 100% sure it is correct for the 997.

8. TennHaynes

TennHaynes New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How long does it take to get to understand the operation on the side imaging units? I'm sure there is plenty of on the water time you must spend to get to know the unit.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    It appears somewhat intimidating at first but the unit is actually very simple to operate. Read the manual and then re-read it and then read it again and be sure to have it with you in the boat:wink:
    Just like any sonar, it takes time to learn how to interpret what it shows you. There is no substitute for time on the water. I am constantly amazed at the stuff I see with the SI...W

10. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    iam getting one soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:big_smile:

11. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    guys there is a co. that makes a dvd on how to use your hummingbird and other sonars, i got one for my 797si and i got one for my 997 its real helpful. dont know if i can put their name up here, not sure what the rules are and dont want to get kicked off for helping someone out. the dvd cost about 30 bucks and is very well done. pm me and i will give you the name of the co. that makes it. i sill look at mine to make sure im doing it right.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I went with the dual transducer setup that Gary mentioned with the y cable and high speed transducer, no switch required.

I upgraded to an 1197 from the 797 and the small high-speed accessory transducer was the same for both.

If you can swing the bucks get the 1197, it is bad to the bone baby!!!!

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if i hear you say that about 10 more times i might have to go buy me a darn 1197 for the console so i can have my 997 in the front...:cool2: thanks alot for forcing me to spend more of my wifes money while im out of work!! :wink: :smile2::smile2:

14. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    I'm Ordering the new 798 tonight, after I decide if I am going with the nvb bundle package or not. These post make me anxious to get it, and to post my inputs on the unit later! It will be a while till the boating season gets here in Pa, but I wanna beat the rush!
    MIKE

15. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    were are you ordering it from?