Hummingbird 997c sidefinder

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by screamnclickersc, Dec 31, 2007.

1. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Does anyone use this unit?We fish alot of rivers and was wandering if it would be useful there.I was thinking about selling my house and buying one!:wink:

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    lol thats just about rite iv fish with a few guys with these thing an they are wonderfull but they take a lot of learning to use them

3. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    hope you have a big house...lmao... its hands down the best thing they have ever came out with. you can see the lip stick on the females kittys with one of thses side scans, well its not that good but very very close.:smile2:

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    No doubt they are an excellent unit but they are only a tool, not a silver bullet. They will not find fish for you nor will they show fish that aren't there...duh, obviously!
    If you work on the premise that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water (random numbers, just guessed at) then there is a lot of water devoid of fish. It's still up to the angler to seek out the high percentage spots...W

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have one and its no better than 500-1000 graph for locating fish to a degree but its a great tool for locating structure as you can see in the above post which in most cases will lead you to more fish. ive had mine for a month now and im still learning new things about it. the booklet that come with it is around 140 pages of information. you can use it without reading all of it but to use all ...140 pages...lol. transducers throw off a rainbow for a roostertail behind the boat at high speeds and you loose bottom readings for depth. this not only me either. they need improvement on the transducers in my opinion. its a snow plow! now you can get the newest upgraded one which is now a 1197 for 30% more or 3000.00. so jump in with me so i dont feel alone anymore.:smile2: here is where it will pay for itself in my opinion. finding structure under the water. i found a spot yesterday on one of my home lakes with it and it even smells like flatheads. it has some nice options for marking gps cord. that part is amazing. you see it beside the boat 0-150 ft out and put your cross hairs on it and mark it. you got to keep in mine your putting the bottom of the lake on a small screen picture. so you not going to find very many indian arrowheads or suitcases full of money with it.:smile2: it takes something of size to show up. like the above post is a creek channel thats at least 10-15 ft deep. at least thats my guess. that could be seen on a regular graph if you went over the top of it but you may not know what it looks like you without this unit. to sum it up i have caught no more fish with it so far than i did without it but i know im fishing better fish holding spots. i do think it will help me in the future. so it was a good investment for me.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    After you learn the unit. It will leave those graphs in the dust. AS can they find a school of fish from 100ft out?
    This one can, Run the side imaging to find fish. And it will find them.
    Also i have found a good fish 20 to 40 lbs holding on a log or stump. Mark it with a way point and then control drift back over it and catch it. Best fish so far doing that is 45 lbs 12 oz blue.
    Pete

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yes you may have somthing there pete i didnt think about. i have seen plenty of bait on mine but i really havent played with the sensitive on the side image to get a good reading on fish or maybe im lacking at what im looking at. it is a learning curve to go from the standard graph to the side image read outs. i know i still focus on the graph part due to old ways and i might have to break that habit more to lean towards the side image of things. my unlce just bought the 987 so we learning these units together plus he knows the sales rep for this area and we plan to get him in the boat one day.:wink: i did notice his transducer was smaller than mine but listed my graph as a user of his transducer on the box. his is still was throwing a rooster tail but he may be able to adjust his out to a degree, plus he never lost bottom either at 47mph.:wink: thanks for pointing that out.

pete is there a way i can tell how big a fish is on the side image? do you have picture you can post of big fish?

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    has anyone bought the smaller untit 797c2 si. its seems to have all the goodies. I have found them for $840 which is a lot cheaper than anywhere else, anyone been able to beat this price anywhere.

10. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Chris where have you found them for 840? I'm also interested in the smaller unit, just can't justify the money on the large one. thanks! Stubby

11. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.

Does it have the Navionics lake maps?:confused2:If so $840 is a steal!

12. riverdasher

riverdasher New Member

State:
    Washington
    You can find them for around 900 w/o navionics. About 1100 with.

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have seen one in use ,man there great, yelp might have to sell your house lol :smile2:

14. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I am going for a demo ride in a sea arc. The owner has a 997c. He doesent like it b/c he cant figure out how to use it. He is illiterate and cant read the manual. He says he'll sell it to me for $1200.00 Im goin to take $1000.00 cash and see if he will take it.SCORE!!:smile2:

15. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
  16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Jerry badin is on the unit but no contour lines. I found this out in the fog one morning....lol. It helped me with the just the map that morning.:wink:

17. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Jerry,
    There is a better price to be had on that unit. Shoot me a PM and I will forward a link for you. Several of the BOC brothers have save some money in the past weeks.

Thanks
    David

18. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    michael is yours one with maps or without?

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mine is the 997c SI combo unit. So i think it has the maps you talking about. Im not running no card in it at all. Badin and tillery are on my unit but like i said there isnt any contour lines and such for those two lakes. Just a out lay of the lake.

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    All that you have is the base maps . You will need to add the Map card to get the detail on the lakes.
    Also here is a school of crappie I found with mine within 10 minutes of being on a new lake. And then my wife and I caught about 25 crappie in an hour out of them.
    Pete
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/crappiebeachlake007.jpg