hummingbird 997 si

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Dec 27, 2008.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I am thinking about buying a hummingbird 997 side imaging fish finder when I get some extra cash. Anyone know about this unit? They are very expensive and i would like to know if they are worth the money. Also how hard are they to learn for a guy wiith just about zero experience on fish finders?

2. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Way to over priced!!!! Buy a less expensive unit and spend more money on good quality fishing equiptment.Good heavy quality tackle gets the fish in the boat not the locator.Don't get me wrong they are nice units but I can see spending that money when I catch just as many if not more fish than the guys that have them.I only look at mine to see depth,bottom change & water temp. Just my 2 cents.:big_smile:

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if you have ever used a side imaging unit it would make you wonder ???with your cheaper unit without the side imaging just how many huge fish do you think you pass right by because they are outside of the small cone of your cheaper fish finder... i can see fish in a 300 ft wide path mark a gps waypoint on the fish or structure motor over to that waypoint and drop a bait within a couple feet of that fish and if he is hungry hopefully catch him!! while a boat passes 50 feet from me and thinks im stupid for fishing that spot because he doesnt see any fish there on his narrow beam fishfinder... to me it is worth every dime if you can swing it!! plus the navigation package is awsome .. pitch black night with heavy fog it will take you rightback to the ramp on a safe path!!! i think its great:cool2:

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    One day...when I grow a pair and tell my wife that I can buy whatever I want...Im getting one!

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i told my wife when she seen if in the boat and asked when i got it:big_smile::big_smile:

6. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO

I'm in the same boat. In fact, I stood up to her the other night and said "I'm not doing the laundry............until I'm done with the dishes." :confused2:

She was compassionate.:roll_eyes:

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    In my opinion (I have the 1197, had the 797 before that), you will see the structure and how fish relate to it in a whole new way. You'll find things you never knew existed in waters you have fished over and over without it. You'll cover a much wider path when searching out promising locations. Baitfish? Oh yeah....see the schools way off to the side. What is that structure below you? A sunken barge, a tree? You'll know with the side imaging.

Does owning one automatically and instantly make you a better fisherman? NO. But it sure goes a long way in accelerating your learning curve!

I think they are expensive but if you can swing it they are worth it.

8. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i asked first and she said yes lol also easier to ask forgiveness than permission. that said mine is on the way a 997 but i tourney fish so that is my excuse, i belive the more struture you can see the better you are ! you can use the color side to determine if it is scaled fish or not plus other things. scales reflect the sonar waves and skin absorbes. so i have be shown and told. so i hope it helps

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I have to agree with the majority here. If you take the time to learn the advantages of the Humminbird, it will provide huge dividends in the number of fish you put in the boat. Dont get frustrated with it and give up. Its a pretty steep learning curve but will help you tremendously. Just my humble opinion. The guys have given you some really good advice.

10. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Below is a post from a guy named "rush" out of the electronic's section. When I get one I will probaly get the dvd as I need all the help I can get.
    --------------------------------------------------------

guys there is a co. that makes a dvd on how to use your hummingbird and other sonars, i got one for my 797si and i got one for my 997 its real helpful. dont know if i can put their name up here, not sure what the rules are and dont want to get kicked off for helping someone out. the dvd cost about 30 bucks and is very well done. pm me and i will give you the name of the co. that makes it. i sill look at mine to make sure im doing it right.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont own one but have been on boats that have them and they are pretty neat. When/if I come across enough money I would buy one.
    Here is part 1 of a 3 part video/infomercial that expalins it really well:
    The first one is the most informative.

[youtubevid]gOy5ml2GhiQ&feature=channel[/youtubevid]

12. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    i would listen to adam he gave you good advise. they are very good.

13. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    John,
    I agree that "some" people can catch just as many fish as someone with the side imaging units. I think it comes down to time on the water though. You can learn more in a day with the 997 or 1197 about what structure is around a certain spot (and how many fish are holding on it) than in a year of fishing those same spots. To me it shortened the learning curve by a huge amount in the area I fish. That is not to mention how valuable they are if you go to fish on new waters! I think they are worth every penny but wish it would have been cheaper! I have no regrets in my purchase and would do it again.