Hummingbird 525

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BobbyLee, Jan 21, 2009.

1. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Ol'lady just bought me a Hummingbird 525 Fishfinder tonight. Do any of you guys have one or used this particular model? If you do, how would you rate it?

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i had a 525 for a couple yrs. and liked it alot, nice big screen, just turn it on and your ready ta go, very easy to use, never had any problems with it, i just took mine off in july and got a hummingbird matrix 47 3D, which shows bottom contour very nice, i figure i'll keep the 525 for a spare, but those are great units, you'll be very happy:wink:

3. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks Lenny. I wish it had the 60 degree transducer for more coverage tho. They claim it will track a jig at 40 feet. Maybe I can get a 60 degree transducer on ebay for it?

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    How ya like yours Len?, Just put a Matrix system on last fall too, like it alot sofar, of course probably forgot most I figured out last fall, LOL.

Boblee, you might also check with HB and see if you can do a trade in before ya mount anything, not sure if they do that or not but some of the companies offer trade in for upgrades? Might save ya some cash that way......

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks Randy, I'll have to look into that. Just bought 2 new 24v batteries for the boat, and just found out that this model is for 12v systems. So I'll either be taken 1 battery back to exchange or buying a 3rd battery...

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    One other good idea if ya have not thought about it, is to put a good circuit breaker/ resistor or fuse in the main line of your power cord to keep the unit safe for a short. I can't think of the name right now but found a nice resettable breaker and resistor at the radio shack. Does a great job on any interference if you are going to run something else on the same battery...... It was under $10.00, I like to use a separate battery but had to switch to the same as the trolling motor and noticed a little interference at times, but that little tool cleaned it up.

7. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Randy was you using a 12v or 24v?

8. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bobby, I just bought a 727 model, found a great deal on it. You mentioned a 60 deg transducer. HB has an exchanged program, just call them and set it up. You may have to pay the cost difference between the two transducers, but it will be cheaper then buying a new one on ebay.

Mine came with a dual beam, I called to upgrade to the quadbeam transducer. They actually did not charge me anything to exchange it, I only paid to ship it to them. Got confirmation it shipped back yesterday.

9. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks Brandon. I'm gonna give them a call today...

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    12V on finder and run 24 V on trolling motor. Have a reduction switch, something else you can look into if your running a 24 0r 36 V trolling system, it wires in to the batteries and reduces to 12V for your electronics.......

I thought you could trade in with HB, that would be your best bet on cost I would think for sure......

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i really like the matrix, shows the bottom very well, and i like how it spreads the fish out, i also got the gps reciever for mine and thats also a nice feature, marking waypoints, leaves a "breadcrumb trail" where you've been, which is nice for runnin at nite in the river, its also nice to split the screen half ff half gps, also the bottom zoom in 3D is sweet, i'm sure i don't know half of what it does yet, still learnin

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Man I heard that, I spent the 1st two days just riding around burning fuel for the most part, but I recon that is the best way, also have the gps, that is this springs "learning" LOL. is great like ya said at night or them early foggy mornings when ya can't see the the end of yer nose.....

13. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
  14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Bobby, I have a 525 like new, even have the box for it. I used it for a few months, and had a power issue with it. Can't be anything to important. I then bought a Humminbird 767 gps finder. I really like it. If you have any problems with the 525 let me know, the only thing I need for it is a transducer bracket. By the way, if you ever plan on running in shallow water, by ya a portable transducer bracket. It is really nice to be able to take the transducer out before running in them shallow waters, skipping over rock bars! This saves you a pile of money on broken transducers!!:wink: rollo

15. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Jason, Thanks bro on the info about the portable transducer bracket. Your power issue; was it related to the pins? Read a review about them being weak. And having to unplug and plug it back in to power up.

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
  17. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    ok according to this http://store.humminbird.com/product-view.ep?pID=720912 the overview states: single beam 200 kHz / 20˚ @ -10db

Display

• 5.0" diagonal
    • 240V x 240H
    • FSTN LCD
    Sonar

Single Beam

• 200 kHz / 20˚ @ -10db
    • Depth: 800 ft.
    Power Output

• 200 Watts (RMS)
    • 1600 Watts (Peak-to-Peak)
    While on the specs it states:
    http://store.humminbird.com/product-view.ep?pID=720912

Single BeamSonar Coverage
    • 200 kHz / 20˚ @ -10db
    Target Separation:2.5 inches

Transducer - Standard:XNT-9-20-T

Now does that mean it can take the xnt-9-20-T and I have to buy it seperately, or that that's that actual transducer it comes with? Sorry a lil confused now. Lack of beer or fish probally...

18. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

I have a 535 which is basically the same unit .... I didn't have mine properly fused and in the first few weeks I had it all messed up and had to send back to factory for repair ... they told about the fuse problem and think if I remember can't be more than a 1.5 or 3 amp fuse ... ... be sure and check your manual about that .... they covered it under the warranty, but weren't happy about doing so since it was my fault ... Garry-:roll_eyes:

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It is a single /dual transducer.
    XNT 9 20 T Transom Mount Transducer

New transom mount transducer design. Single/Dual Beam, 20/60 Degree, 200/83 kHz. More secure, especially at high force of waves. Improved running angle and an optional lock down screw to override the kick up.
    The above paragraph copied right of of their site

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Bobby Lee
    if I understand the specs on the transducer, it has the 60 degree option built in. Figure it has something to do with the settings on the unit. Maybe it switches with depth or maybe the zoom setting...Not familiar with the unit but I'm sure you'll figure it out once on the water.
    It's probably the lack of fishing that has you confused. :wink: