Humminbird Vs, Lowrance

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by mikeeeva, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mikeeeva

mikeeeva New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I am going out to buy e new gps/sonar. I am looking at Humminbird 797c2 si GPS\SONAR and a Lowrance 527ci GPS\SONAR. The Humminbird is 100$ more. Here in Canada I will be spending 900$ .
    Can any body give me advice on wich is better?
    Thank you

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia

3. mikeeeva

mikeeeva New Member

State:
    Ontario
  4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You will get many opinions on your question. Both make good units and they are updated models coming out. Take your time and read all you can on each model and buy the one that will be the best unit for the fishing you do.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

5. mikeeeva

mikeeeva New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Thanks Michael. I fish mostly on rivers and the odd times on lake Erie. When it isn't too windy. I owned two humminbirds before. I was not too happy with them. So I would like to spend a little more and get something that will work.

Thank you for the reply

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Definently look at the different models available and do the homework. So many models on the market. I own a Lowrance X510C color graph which I'm still figuring out. Really like it for night fishing, because of the different screen colors I can choose from. This particular locater doesn't have GPS, but I don't really need it for the smaller lakes I fish here in Nebraska.

Lowrance makes a nice locater and have always liked the features the have. Don't overlook the Garmin locaters too!!

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The 797C2 SI is being replaced with the 798C2 SI. If you decide on Humminbird make sure you get the 798C2 SI. It has several nice upgrades over the 797, but the price is the same.

8. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Both are good units but I have to go with the HB SI.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jay, I was looking earlier at some screen shots of the 2d sonar that you posted on one of the side imaging forums, and I can tell you mine has never come close to the quality of yours. Don't know what's going on. Side imaging seems to be fine, but the 2d hasn't worked well since back in December. As you can see in the pics, there's plenty on the lowrance screen, but HB: nada. Photo on the right is comparable to about as good as I've ever gotten with the unit. Any tips, please post or pm me. Thanks.

Attached Files:

10. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Mike I have a Lowrance 522ciGPS and absolutely love it. It took me a little bit of time to learn how to use all the features on it and set it up to my liking. I agree with a previous post that said, look and read all you can before you buy, 1k is a lot to be spending and you want to get it right.:wink:

Consider Lowrances new HDS system. Basically it is HD for sonar/GPS. "Their Turbo View software provides seamless, fluid pan and zoom, and rotation and pitch. Switching between 2D and 3D is also fluid and seamless. The units also have real time overlay of navigational data on 3D profiles, depth and elevation shadowing and high-speed fly-through with detailed aerial photo overlay."--NA Fisherman Mag. Feb. 09

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Tommy - I will check what my settings are tonight when I get home. I know I spent a lot of time to get it to where it is now. I can see how frustrating that would be to see all that on the Lowrance and not see a single return on the HB.

12. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looks like a spot add for Coke...sb:wink:

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Jay. Freaky! Today the unit worked pretty well; as well as ever, I guess. Can't understand it. I reset all the defaults, for one thing last night. There is an upgrade for the 2d software that should be available withing a couple of weeks or so, and that should help with everything. At times today it would be pretty clear, other times the bait fish and clutter would be almost impossible to make out. Maybe I need to reset and use the normal default settings with those little fishy icon things, eh? :confused2:

14. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I fired my unit up tonight and looked at my settings.

Sensitivity - 8
    Chart Speed - 3 ( If you are getting real pointy arches speed this up. If you are getting long flat arches slow it down. I use 3 for 5 mph and under.)
    Sonar Colors - Std
    Low Range - Auto (I do change this sometimes, mostly looking at suspended fish)
    Beam - 200/83
    Bottom View - Structure ID

Fish ID Off:tounge_out:

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I noticed your screen didn't show any surface clutter or any clutter in the water column. I always have a line of surface clutter at the top. Sometimes 3 or 4 foot thick. Might need to turn up the sensitivity. Are you using both beams? If you are just using the 200 khz beam, it is only a 20° cone. It will see a much much smaller area than the 83 khz beam. The 83 khz beam is a 60° cone. At 24 feet the 200khz cone is 101 inches in diameter at the bottom compared to 331 inch diameter cone for the 83 khz beam. It is even worse at 40 feet deep. The 200 khz cone is only 169 inches in diameter at the bottom while the 83 khz cone is a whopping 553 inches in diameter. BTW the Lowrance it is a little different. It's 200 khz beam is 12° and it's 83 khz beam is 35°. The HB should be covering more water than the Lowrance.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I am using both beams, Jay. I've also tried one at a time, and the sensitivities were at max when the pics were made. Now, today they were working pretty good, as I said, but yesterday was a different story. I even used the 797 to help win a tournament back in December while the lowrance was in the shop for repair, and the HB worked good that day, but I haven't been on the water much since then, and it didn't perform very well either time until today.
    I guess I've kinda hijacked this thread; didn't mean to. Thanks for the input, and I'm open to suggestions, but I may just wait until the new software comes out and see what happens.

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Unless that water was crystal clear and you could count the grains of sand on the bottom max sensitivity should have had so much clutter that it was unreadable. I get to 15 on sensitivity and it looks like a rain storm on my screen. Hopefully the update takes care of it.

18. mikeeeva

mikeeeva New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Thank you to you all for the advice. yesterday I got the Lowrance HDS5.

And now that Lowrance announced the upgrade later to SI is great news

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good choice, Mike. Welcome to the BOC. Hope that HDS works well for you. Be sure and post some feedback after you have some time on the water.

20. mikeeeva

mikeeeva New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Yes I will do my best to give some feedback. But it will be late in the
    Spring. Here the lake is frozen. doing ice fishing still. I am looking forward on feedback from other members in the south USA

Thank you