Humminbird Update Availible Now

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Grimpuppy, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Check your Humminbird accounts. New updates are ready for download.

2/23/2009 12:00:00 AM - v4.510 Supports the XM NavWeather accessory. Adds new 2D sonar processing techniques, including the ablity to turn off TVG. Adds SI Image Enhancement features. Supports operation of the CannonLink accessory across an InterLink accessory. Modifies the Depth Offset menu item to shift the sonar image, not just the digital depth. Expands Water Type selections to include deep and shallow salt water. Adds Waypoint Decluttering control. Adds Demonstration mode menu item to disable point-of-sale mode when using a transducer with no thermistor. Reduces interbeam interference. Fixes the color of shoreline construction on Navionics charts. Resolves MMC (not SD) access problems.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I just got off the yahoo forum and did not see this posted yet as available. COOL!

What hasn't been talked about much is the SI Enhancement part of the upgrade. Heard some comments from field testers (and HB employees) as "WOW".

I think for both 2D and SI the units will really pick up those bottom-hugging fish (our friend the Catfish) and make them pop after the software upgrade!

WOO HOO!!!!!!! Can't wait to give it a trial run!!!!!:smile2:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Jay. I have already loaded mine into the bird. Now to get on the water. :0a22:

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks Jay... You are quick :)

HB needs to hire you as a field rep :wink:

5. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Got mine downloaded and installed yesterday, now if I can get back to the water and see what it does. Thanks to Jay for the quick post

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Has anybody given the new updates a test run yet? Would be interested in seeing if the updates will live up to the chatter about improving the 2D. I'm kind of a skeptic if the updates will make that much of a difference, but I'll be glad if I'm wrong on this one.

I'm planning on downloading them today, will give them a test run next weekend.

7. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    i used mine and it has improved the pictures and downlooking sonar on mine.

8. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Jay, Thanks for the info!

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, do you happen to have any screen shots? Thanks

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I haven't decided if I am taking mine out this weekend yet. If I do, I will gets lots of screen shots.

11. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    i dont know how to get them transfered from the card to the boc. john

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Here are some pics of the SI Enhance feature that I got from a forum elsewhere.

The first pic is SI Enhance OFF (standard operation or the 'original' setup)

The second pic is SI Enhance ON -HIGH (There is also a LOW and Medium setting available).

I think it makes a big difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Not so fast, before you make a judgement I would check it out for yourself on the water. The HB pics are from January and are probally the pick of the litter. You might want to keep the sharpness on off or low. Any setting higher than that....forget it. Especially on the river.

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well that might be true, don't know yet. Won't bother posting the 2D shots because they are probably pick of the litter too. Nice to see what it might be 'capable' of.:roll_eyes:

Not sure why you think 'sharpness' would be a problem on the river, I don't think that has squat to do with sensitivity or gain so why would sediment affect this setting? I don't know....if you do....enlighten us please?

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I still haven't had a chance to get on the water with mine, but have played around with the simulator and it looks pretty promising; can't wait to try it on the water, but will likely be the coming weekend.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Why would the river make a difference? Mine has always worked as good in the river as the lake?
    I was like you 3 years ago when I got my unit. Shoot I know the shots are the best ones or worked on. But from day one. Mine were as good as what they always posted. Lots of them were better.
    I only wish Humminbird would not forget the ones that bought the first units (987c-SI) while the newer units get the updates. I know mine may not take the SI updates. but would like the 2-d updates at least.
    Pete

17. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Got mine loaded up today. Will be hitting the water friday and saturday. I'll see about getting some snapshots to post.. Just sitting in the driveway after loading it up, I can tell a slight difference on 2D already. Should be interesting if it lives up to what I been hearing.

18. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Who said anything about Sediment? Have you run the update in simulator mode yet? Compare that to when you finally put your boat on the river sometime. On the LOZ yesterday the SI ran like a champ, but there was zero current. I don't really fish to much slack water, so I try to relate any examples to fishing in current. With the new update I find that they changed a few things the have a direct affect on using the unit in a swift current. Something that it did not do before when using ver. 4.180. e.g. surface clutter setting seems to have a bigger impact than before. I''ll try to post some snapshot examples if I have any. I don't know if I took any with the new update before I redid most of the settings.

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I mentioned sediment because thats exactly what affects your quality of returns on the river. Current has nothing to do with it except for the fact that it is what is stirring up and carrying the suspended particles.

I guess I should clarify sediment as the sediment that is suspended in the water on the river, churned up and along by the CURRENT.

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I finally got on the water today and tried out the updated software. I have to say there is a marked improvement on the down sonar, but I'm going to have to learn how to set the side imaging, not. It was difficult to read the screen at times, and I kept playing with the settings; just need some more time on the water, I think. I didn't get but a couple of screen shots, will have to wait and post them later on when I have time to upload them to the pc. Overall impression is that progress has been made, but some fine tuning of the software may need to take place, too.