Humminbird Side Imaging

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by bodie, Feb 11, 2009.

1. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anybody know any good video's on how to operate one of these. Looking to get as much info about it before I take it out on the water and start playing with it.

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have seen places selling a dvd for the 700, 900 and the 1100 series. If you Google "Humminbird dvd" you will find them. I have never watched one so I don't know how useful they are.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Josh,
    There may be but there definately wasn't when I got mine.
    There is no substitute for time spent in real conditions. I was quite intimidated by it before I used it but the way it works is really quite simple when you get to grips with it.
    Go out first time WITHOUT YOUR FISHING GEAR!!! so you can dedicate the day to the unit
    I have always used my sonars in manual mode and recommend you do the same. Read the manual at least three(3)!!! times.
    Be sure to set "Advanced user " mode to on.
    Turn off the temp. graph line thing and the real time sonar side bar.
    Try to use it for the first time at a place that you know well.
    Set the individual frequencies on the 2D to show you best what you know to be there. Then turn on both frequencies and make sure you see what you expect.
    The whole SI system is very sensitive to correct transducer placement. On some installations it is necessary to trim the motor up a bit to allow the 'ducer to see both sides clearly.
    Use the SI near wood or rock; something that will show up well and set the sensitivity and background color to what shows best for you. More is not better with SI sensitivity! White is the stuff "illuminated" by the beams, dark is the "shadow" Fish usually appear as tiny white lines. If they are casting a shadow, the distance of the shadow from the fish is a good indicator of how much above the bottom they are.
    Practice using the "Mark" button in 2D and SI modes to mark a spot that is visible above the water such as a bouy or tree and then practice anchoring above it using the cursor to tell you how far upstream you are. Ease back until it tells you that you are at your marked position. Are you???
    Get comfortable with interpreting what it tells you. The SI is amazing. Just like the pictures in the manual it will show fish and bait balls, cars, boats, all kinds of stuff.
    Go and have some fun...W

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I am with Winston.
    I read the manual on line 3 or 4 times while waiting on mine to get here 4 years ago. I went out 4 days in a row without fishing. Only using the unit. Time on the water with the unit is the best tool to learning the unit. Also go to a spot that you know a lot about, that will give you a head start on what your seeing. I bet I have been on the phone a few hundred hours with people that were buying one of these units. Had 15 or more call while out on the water a lot of times.
    I still keep my manual in the boat, that way if your not sure get it out and read. This unit takes a lot of input from the user. But with time on the water and reading the manual can and will open up a new world as far as fishing goes.
    Pete

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Winston and Pete, thanks for the tips. John Stevens let my borrow a dvd manual for the 997. I've watched it a couple times and am getting more comfortable on how to navigate the unit. Definately less intimidating now.

Thanks,
    Brandon

6. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I totally agree with everything said in this thread. Humminbird also includes a tutorial right in the unit. It shows you everything the unit will do.

#1 If I can do it - so can you.
    #2 You will enjoy it so much that you will spend more time exploring with it than fishing.
    #3 You can't hurt it by pressing buttons. It may get confused but just turn it off and then back on - start again.
    #4 Take lots of screen shots. Watch them over and over at home on your PC.
    #5 Take the book with you and experiment.
    #6 Everyone that has one will be more than happy to help with any questions you have. Just ask.
    #7 Post your screen shots so we can enjoy them with you.

7. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    What I should have said was demonstration instead of tutorial. I knew what I meant but my fingers don't have a clue.

8. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have seen one in action at it is neat. I will probably not use the fish finder as much as should but when I do get to use it, it will be well worth it.

Thanks to everyone on the tips.

9. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I have a friend that is getting me a price on a 798 from his brothers tackle shop. I still have not commited to spending that much money yet, but we will see. I have enjoyed all the screen shots that a lot of the guys have posted in the other threads. Everytime I see those shots I almost order one for myself.

10. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    According to the guys @ Cabelas they are suppose to learn today when Lowrance is coming out with the side imagine. They did say that is was going to be soon.

11. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    oops posted in wrong spot