Humminbird High Speed Transducer

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by tswebb71, Sep 13, 2009.

1. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I have a Humminbird 997csi. I had to get the high speed transducer because the behemoth side imaging transducer would lose the bottom at around 35mph. I have adjusted the HS transducer at least 15-20 times. I have it where it will not pop up at high speeds (over 50MPH). However, I does pop up in rough water. After it pops a time or two it damages the plastic bracket and I have buy a new bracket. I have purchased 4 brackets because of it popping up. :angry::angry: Quite frankly the design is a piece of crap and I am at my wits end!! I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Lowrance has a much better design. Those plastic brackets are for the birds!!!!

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have the same problem with mine popping up in rough water and at speed also.. i thought it was something i did when i installed it.ie:washers in the wrong spot , screws not tight enough .. but i just used some big channel lock pliers and squeezed the bracket a little tighter on the plastic and i havent had many problems since then... but i also loose the bottom bad but it happens at about 30mph on mine...

3. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm pretty sure my little boat won't go 30mph and I still loose bottom.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    maybe look into mounting it inside the hull?

5. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Can't mount it inside the hull. It's aluminum. Seriously though, I am to the point that I am going to sell the bird and buy a Lowrance!!

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    A fellow catter friend ( peir pressure) of mine made something from a piece of sheet metal. he cut it and rounded it up and mounted it as a bridge from boat hull to transducer to smooth the flow of water. he said it works great, I'm trying to figure out how to fit one to my pontoon boat. there aint no drilling in a pontoon log:big_smile:

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    scott i had problems with mine popping up this weekend time after time!!! were did you get your replacement brackets? it kind of sucked standing on the outdrive putting it back in place everytime it popped out... :angry:

8. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mine did the same thing when i first got it .... Then after about 15x's the transducer riped off....

i got crazy pissed and went to bass pro and paid 75 bucks for a new one and moved it higher up and never had a problem yet.

The shield works to.

I think bass pro has the new brackets .. They had my transducer and my setup was made in 1997-1998 ? its a DX 200.

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the side imaging bracket and transducer is a little different beast!!!

10. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Adam, I just go through humminbird's website. Man those things are pieces of chit!!!! Mine only pops when I am running at speed and hit a big wave and the transom of my boat hits the water first. Once they pop though, they are finished. You can't keep them down anymore. I have a small shad dip net that I use to get the shad out of my livewell. It works great to reach over the transom and pop it back in place.

11. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I even put screws through the sides of mine to hold it down. All that did was bust the base of the bracket and flip the transducer inside the back of my boat:angry::angry::angry: