Humminbird Fish Finder 565

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by BajaCoop, Feb 26, 2009.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    anyone know anything about these?

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Ed - I have a Humminbird 565 on my pontoon. Its a pretty good unit for the $200 price range. Do you have any specific questions about it?

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    nothing in general just wondering how everyone likes them. How well they show fish and structure.

4. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ed, when my Dad and I bought our boat, it had 2 of them on it. We replaced the one on the console with a 997, still have a 565 on the bow. I'll be replacing that one sometime this year. They're alright for bottom depth, speed and temp. They pick up structure, just not very detailed.

5. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    I like all the Humminbird products but the only critical statement that "I" could make about the 565 is this:

The 565 is the same graph as the 535 with the exception of the screen resolution.

The 565 has a display pixel matrix of 620V X 320H, while the 535 only has a 320V x 320H.

So the question one must ask is that little of resolution worth $50 to upgrade?

The display type on the graphs are known as FSTN (Film Compensated STN) A passive matrix LCD technology that uses a film compensating layer between the STN display and rear polarizer for added sharpness. It was used in laptops before the DSTN method became popular.

If you can read the lines of resolution on a 535 save the $50 and take a friend fishing, cause the $50 is only going to offer you more sharpness in the vertical lines. As fishermen we read graphs top to bottom not left and right

6. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    thanks man i was looking at this unit my self... my boat has a 105 sx on it.. want to upgrade:wink:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    best unit you can buy for the price tag. I have one and I really like it.

8. CharlieV

CharlieV New Member

State:
    Kirksville, MO
    I am new to this forum, and pretty new to catfishing, i am looking at the 565 portable, i am just not sure it is worth 250 bucks (i'm in med school so that's about all i have to work with), i fish mostly from my canoe and have never had a fish finder nor have i ever seen one used, i know what the manufacturer's and retailer's say as far as stats on the unit but what is a sonar unit like this going to get me in terms of real, on the water performance and is a unit in this price range useful enough to merit the expenditure (obviously i don't have tremendous amounts of free time either so something that would allow me to locate and catch fish more swiftly catches my interest, which is why i am looking in the first place, i just don't know if this is the best use of my limited funding) any advice, info, help would be appreciated. . .
    thanks in advance
    Charlie

9. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    Since your fishing from a canoe its most likely a safe assumption to say that in a craft that small you that'll be in open waters that will require a dual beam sonar.

For a fraction of the cost if you’re going to be fishing from a canoe just purchase the Humminbird 110 Fishin Buddy.

Its a single beam unit and with a maximum depth of 240ft but most likely you wont be fishing humps or other deep structure in water that if you ever had a tip over you couldn't recover your gear. Open water structure that fish would relate to would require a bigger craft and since your canoe fishing the $119 110 Fishin Buddy good be a great choice. and less expensive if lost.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The 565 is a dual beam unit with a 20 and 60 degree. That and Res. is the main feature difference from it and the 535.

11. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have a 565 and I like it. I used it all last summer and fall. I really like the 20/60 transducer. Lots of the lakes I fish run from 10 to 25 feet deep and the 60 degree view really helps find fish. It shows structure and marks fish well. It would be nice if it was color but thats more expensive and not necessary. I have mine set up as a portable. I have several boats and a kayak that I use it on and it works out well. I don't think you can beat one for the money.