Humminbird 997 (gonna do it)

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by cheapNdisgusting, Dec 18, 2007.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I've been reading everything I can find on the 997. Shilohred and Deerhunter have made some great posts on it, but they are several months old. I am going to get one and would really appreciate finding out "how do you feel about it after having it several months", and exactly what options do I need to get with it.

I get confused with the letters after the 997. 997c, 997s, ect.

I understand and drool over the "side scan", which is the main reason for getting this unit, but the options are a little confusing. I don't want to find out later that I "shoulda got that" or does it come with everything except the Nav card ($200 extra).

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The 1197 is coming out on February. Supposed to make the 997 look small. Might want to check it out. Also it is worth it to get the NDB model that has ALL THE MAPS pre-installed. It's not a matter of buying a $200.00 SD card and doing that later with the basic mocel. It's like $150.00 per REGIONAL MAP! Plus it takes up an SD slot which v
    can be put to better use for saving screenshots etc........

You'll thank yourself for buying the Model with the MapS.

If you are spending that much already, might want to check out the 1197 too, it's going to be the BOMB!!!!

3. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    This is EXACTLY the kind of info I want. I've got 3 locators now and each was state of the art at the time. One is from the early 80's and still works great.

Is there somewhere I can find out more about the new one comming out? Now I'm really confused!!!!

Sorry about the spelling on the "thanks Spipeye" but the edit won't let me correct it. SkipEye (I can do it)

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Darryl,
    Thanks for the info. I don't know how but I had not seen the post you linked to above. I just about bought a 997 a couple of weeks ago while at Bass Pro. I would have been sick when the new unit came out. I will have to save a few more dollars up but I think I see one of the 1197 sitting on my center console around Feb.:big_smile: I had not read or seen anything about it, I had only read about what Lowrance would be doing this spring.
    Thanks you, thank you, thank you. :big_smile:

6. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Hopefully the $2000 price tag will go down when the new series comes out. The new one is supposed to be around $2700, and I wouldn't have any money left for a divorce lawyer.

Still gonna wait for input on the 997.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Russell so whats your problem???????????:smile2::big_smile:You would have the new model ,your wife would be divorcing you which means she has to pay for it and YOU wouldnt have a nickle left to pay alimony etc.:roll_eyes::eek:oooh::smile2:Sounds good to me but if she were mean about it and you live in a community property state ,she could take her half of the finder.Some women I know would chain saw that baby in half just for spite.HAHAHAHAHAHA.Just make sure the chainsaw is in YOUR pile of the divided property!!!!!:wink::smile2::big_smile:

8. flathead03

flathead03 New Member

State:
    IN Indianapoli
    hi im new to the boc you dont have to wait till febuary because the bass pro shop already has the 1197 and im going to look tomarrow at 1197 and 997 they got 1197 for around 2,700.00-3,000.00

9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Where did you hear that at? Let us know what it's like!! I wonder if St.louis Bass Pro has them?

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Cirus,
    Welcome to the BOC and thanks for the info. I was going to make a trip to Bass Pro next week. I hope they have them and I will be able to look it over. I am about 99% on going that route. Just have to choke over the $3,000 for a pricey piece of equipment.:crazy::big_smile:

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
    David

11. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I've looked at the 997 so many times, and have never had a "salesperson" that actually knew how to do anything on the display model EXCEPT show off the demo program that was in it. At BP in St.Charles, I had two salespeople (only 2 in the department) that were unable to tell me how to get the marked immages out of the 997 and into a computer. The senior one told me it had to do with buying a photo mem chip at Walgreens for $10, and the instruction manual would explain how. Niether of them knew that it could come with a "Gimble" mount. Both agreed that it was to big and heavy for a gimble and it only came one way. And of course, they had customers coming back all the time praising the 997. At Cab. the salesman told me that the Gimble mount was not available. Also, he said it had one card slot. (it has 2)Basically, they were ABSOLUTELY NO HELP!

This is exactly why it is so confusing and frustrating to try to get what you think you want. I'm sure that there ARE MANY salespersons that could answer any of my questions correctly, and be very informative about the product. I expect clerks at Kmart, Target, ect. (they don't sell the high end ones) to not know, and have no problem with this.

Most of us will buy one at a place like BP or Cab., and not know what we have until we see someone else with one and his does more than mine, or has more features

I know it sounds like I'm asking for someone to explain "997 for DUMMIES" and that is not it at all.

What I want is for people who have one of them to post anything that DOESN'T come with the standard unit, right out of the box. So far, all I know of for sure is about the Premium Nav Chips, and to contact Hummingbird.

I'm going to buy one - What else do I need?

Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Your looking for the 997c-SI with transducer and GPS antenna. If it has not changed your mount will be a standard mount that does not turn side to side. But theres a Big Ram mount that will work with this unit.
    When you get the unit go on line at humminbird.com and sign up your unit. Then down load Humminbird PC. This is where you can store your Waypoints and stuff. Then also you can use the SD card to load any new updates for the unit.
    You will need a SD card to store the pictures on. Without the card each waypoint is just that. Slip in the SD card and it holds the screen shots and also the videos.
    You will take the SD card out of the unit and ( You have to have a SD or MMC card reader also) and place it in your Card reader.
    Theres also a power cord and such that allows you to hook the unit up to your PC and play with it. But I have not bought that.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Any more questions just Pm me or post and If i catch it will try to answer what I can.
    Good luck. And as always read the manual and then read it again. It will allow you to get the most out of the unit. This unit would be almost useless without reading the manual and lots of on water use. Its not a take it out of the box and everything is fine.
    Also on the 1197 from what I have found out, All your getting is a lot bigger screen. And that is not worth it for now. Also I don't think you will see the price drop on the 997 as they are selling them about as fast as they make them.
    pete

13. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Thanks ShilohRed, that pretty much clears it up for me as to the model# and "saving pictures". You've had one for a while and seem pleased with it. Now I can get it, probably sleep on the couch for a week or so, but that will give me plenty of time to read the book.

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The guys gave you some good info. I will throw in my 10c worth:
    The card you need for saving screen shots etc. is not $10 from Walgreens.
    Get the SanDisc 2gig UltraII. They are available for about $35 but you can find them on sale significantly cheaper.
    I would definately reccomend geting the unit with the pre-loaded maps.
    A great source of info is the user group web site; an unofficial (but well supported by Humminbird staff) site for all things to do with HB side imaging. You can find it at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/. (PM me if the mods have to remove this link because of the rules.)
    It's free and full of info. Don't be freaked out by the many posts on installation difficulties. There are enough posts about problems to make you run away from this unit at high speed but many, many of the problems are user caused. I went through and read every post before I took the plunge and bought mine and I was totally comfortable with spending the money after reading all that info.
    If you follow the instructions the unit will work just fine. The main challenge is mounting the transducer so that it gets a clear view to both sides. The user site has many pictures of different hulls with transducers installed. I personally do not like drilling my transoms and sometimes finding just the right spot for the 'ducer is trial and error. For this reason I mount mine on a piece of StarBoard marine plastic which is attached to the transom with industrial strength Velcro. I have yet to have it fall off.
    It would seem that on some hulls the best position for optimal side imaging performance is not the best place to get good high speed bottom tracking. Also, at 200 bucks a pop for the SI 'ducer knocking them off on floating debris is not advisable. For these reasons I chose to put the SI ducer up out of harms way and install a separate 'ducer that can track bottom depth to the maximum speed of my boat. A switch is used that is connected to the SI and the high speed 'ducers and then to the unit. I just flip between the two as necessary.
    READ THE MANUAL and keep it in the boat with you. The unit is a bit overwhelming at first but in actual fact is very easy to use. Be sure to have it in "Advanced User Mode". Leave your fishing gear at home and go out and play with it. As with any tool you will need to use it to become proficient with it. Have fun...W

15. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Thanks for the advice ShilohRed and metalman. This is the kind of stuff you CANNOT GET in most large retailers, and mailorder (internet) websites.

I'm confident there are many independant retailers that could do it also but are not available to most of us.

Having experienced owners talk about it is PRICELESS.

Thanks again.

16. flathead03

flathead03 New Member

State:
    IN Indianapoli
    I just recently come back from bass pro shop and lookin at the side image I ended up gettin the 997 the guy at I talked to at bass pro shop told me on the 11 97 he would have to order it the only difference I saw between them was 600x800 pixles and the 997 is got 480x800 pixles and the 11 97 has a 10in. screen and preloaded maps:wink:

17. flathead03

flathead03 New Member

State:
    IN Indianapoli
    I just recently come back from bass pro shop and lookin at the side image I ended up gettin the 997 the guy at I talked to at bass pro shop told me on the 11 97 he would have to order it the only difference I saw between them was 600x800 pixles and the 997 is got 480x800 pixles and the 11 97 has a 10in. screen and preloaded maps

18. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I've got the 987Csi. I got it this past Jan on sale. I would wait until next month and see if they put a special out on it. If anyone has a friend that works at BP have them ask about unadvertised specials that are coming for Jan and Feb. That is how I found out about it. It was not advertised but I knew about it and got it 25% off and when you are looking at 2,000 I saved 500 bucks. I will tell you that if you do a lot of catfishing and especially tournament fishing on bodies of water that you don't have a lot of time to prefish this thing is your best friend. :wink: It does take some fine tuning to get everything working for you. Don't get caught up in all the filters, just get used to looking for your marks to find your fish. It is a great unit and is as much fun to use as it is useful.

19. WarrenMN

WarrenMN New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The 1197 is just going to be a large 997, except with an RCA port to allow recording the screen. The guys on the users group were getting all worked up about how they could record from it but with the new software update that just came out and a program some of the guys on the other site are working on, its not a big deal any more. In time I'm betting the other crew will have one heck of a program to play back recordings.
    So far it sounds like every thing that works on the 997 will be the same on the 1197 except for screen size. One thing I did right from the git go was to go with two side scan transducers and a Y cable to make sure the motor didn't interfere with the side opposite, which so far has been the only real stumbling block for any one that isn't trying to be a troll.
    As for memory cards most of us have gone with the Sandisk Extreme III 2gbs. Sandisk apparently made these for less than desirable weather and temps of -13f to 185f. Speed is also a big factor. A standard SD card is 1X, same as the first CDs. The Ulras are 66X and the Extreme III are 133X. Circuit City did have some very nice sales on the 2gb ones but all of them are over, but I'd watch for more. They were even selling the the 2gb cheaper than the 1gb, go figure.
    On the transducers, even if you go two side scan transducers and the Y cable you can still pick up the Humminbird switch for to run a seperate more hi speed transducer, make sure you get the right one. I think the guys that do that go with the Quadar Beam Plus that still looks out to the sides.
    The one complaint about the side scan transducer from others has been with the deep Vee hulls, you have to have the bottom face of the transducer clear of any of the bottom line of the boat where you place it, which means for them it really sticks out and causes a rooster tail. thats why some are placing them higher where the water will cover them at low speeds. And makes it easier to whap them on some thing. I definitely suggest transom savers, for any transducer.
    If you get the PC Kit, it comes with a two 9volt connector on the power cable that you definitely don't want to use. Two 9volt batteries won't last long enough to even to do a software upgrade and crash right in the middle. Bunch of the guys ran into that on this recent software upgrade. I clipped off the connectors and put an inline red fuse holder on the plus side then a female spade connectors on both and use a 7.5 amp hour battery in the house to work with it. The spade connectors slip over the tabs like they were made for it. Some of the guys went with power supplies too. Best bet is still having hooked up in the boat.
    I don't know if any of you have ever tried making your own maps but I have it hooked to a laptop and a program called DrDepth and with the my Humminbird 997 can make the best maps you ever saw, but still have the laptop to use them.
    One of the things I've been showing the guys is how easy it is with these things to mark weed points, break lines and such by freezing the screen with out the screen capture on and way point around the area of interest. Then on your chart you'll see a line of way points marking your special area.
    As for the NVB package, thats a matter of opinion. I didn't go with it as there's always going to be better maps coming up from Navionics and you can't upgrade the internal maps.
    WarrenMN

20. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Warren,
    Welcome to the BOC family and looking forward to more useful post like this one.
    Thanks for the great read about the 997. Looks like you have done your homework on the unit. Great information.:big_smile:

Thanks again,
    David