Humminbird 987c SI Side Imaging

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by ShilohRed, Feb 2, 2006.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Ordered a new Depthfinder yesterday. Its the Hummingbird 987c SI Side Imaging GPS Wide Screen Fishing System.
    Shows the bottom as it would be in a picture without water. If there's a log pile you see a log pile. If its a stump you see a stump, Log, Sunk boat, Rocks. Fish.
    Had one guy tell me that he could see the droppers on a trotline in 20ft of water.
    Now it will be great to see log pile. and I hope a 50+ blue or flathead laying there. They say when its on the standard dpethfinder mode in color you can see the bait in the water under the boat.
    Hummingbird's website shows a lot of pictures of in being used and they are snapshots of what is was seeing under water.
    It will cover 240ft left and right of the boat. So that will allow the user to cover vast amount of water in a short time.
    Switch it to standard mode and its color Dpethfinder or split he screen and have sidescan on one side and color d/F on the other. Also is a GPS so if you see a log or place you would like to fish. Just mark the spot and go back to it.

Also allows you to save pictures and see them at home on a SD card in the PC.
    I hope to have it mounted and in use at the Cumberland River Fish & Camp. And will give a review after a few weeks of use. It was high, but if its half as good as they tell everone it will be well worth it.

Pete

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Let me know how it works for ya. I have been looking at them and wondering how good you can see.

3. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    man sounds great, ive been eyeballing it since it came out and its my ultimate dreeam to have it, please tell us what you think as soon as you know something.

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Pete,

Time permitting I would like to get on your boat for a tad to see that baby in action, I'm mainly a Lowrance guy but I do have the Matrix 67 with a Lowrance running together, there is a spot just down river along a rock wall that I would like to get a picture of, Whistler and a few others know the spot, would like to see what the unit shows, just maybe another spot would be where the tractor is in the water also............Doc

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I will let everyone know how well it works after using it for a week of so. and even post some pictures of may favorite fishing places and what I though thye looked like. And what is there.
    Doc I think that can be worked out..
    Let me see.. 25 skipjacks per demo.... LOL
    PEte

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Pete,

Got you covered Buddy have at least 25 three inch long ones in the freezer, I'll bring them with me..........lol.............Doc

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds like your taking after that guy that your riding down with.. LOL
    Watch out for him., I think he's a bad driver And also likes to catch all the fish.
    LOL
    Pete

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    PEEEEEEEEEte, You hurt me big guy!LOL... I've been researching that 987 and I don't think that It would be wiseto take a demo ride because I just might like what I see. It looks SWEEEEET!!!

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That sidefinder is way cool, I look forward to seeing how you like it also. After reading this post I decided to look at them again. Man I'll tell you what those things show everything. Here's a link in case anyone is interested it's pretty amazing

http://www.humminbird.com/generic2.asp?ID=514

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Ok buddy you can't even look at it. LOL Woud hate to get you in trouble. :grin-big:
    I srue hope it allows me to find that honey hole with the 147 lb blue hiding in it.
    If so I may have to call in help to land it. :thumbsup:

Pete

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'll be interested in hearing a first-hand report of how well it works.

Those screen shots on the Humminbird website are a little *too* nice for me to believe they're representative of the "every day" performance of that unit. My money says they were made under highly controlled "perfect" conditions - glass smooth water, boat moving at some very specific speed, etc. -- and that when you get on the water on an average day with average wind and waves, you'll get very dfferent results.

But I could be wrong -- and I look forward to what Pete has to say about it!

12. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    don't worry I 'll be right there to cut your line, wouldn't want you to strain your back.

You know I am going to check it out, Have been drooling over them since you sent me that link. Oh and congratulations

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Even if those graphics were deteriorated by 30% in not so perfect conditions I'd still say they're far above the ones on my Lowrance. You guys need to stop talking about this depth finder. I just looked up the price in the Bait Pro Shop catalog and there is a chance I won't be with us any longer if I ask about buying one of those!! LOL It sure has some pretty screen shots. And I'd bet you could definately tell the difference between a log and a fish laying flat on the bottom. :p

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks buddy I know I can count on you to do that. LOL And you can bet your welcome to check it out. And even fish with it. That is as long as I'm there also.

Better to sharpen the knife good. Cause if its going to be hard to cut with me hiting you over the head with the boat paddle. :p

Is it time yet?
    Pete

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Bryan I did not pay that much for it. Found it on like for around $250 less still high but I hope its worth it.
    Also I can for a fee like a good camping spot take you out and we can cover all the fishing spots for you. Would hate to have your life cut short. :)
    And you know all that you need to do is let me know and we would sure cover them.
    Also if the boat is in a lot of waves it does mess with the results. Also best to run between 2 and 6 mph. but that is not a problem. Also talked with a lot of guys on line that have them and the pictures they post are as good as these.

All that I can say is watch out water. Don't know how much fishing I can do the first day or so with it. HEHE Will sure be looking at what is down there.
    Also in standard depth finder mode you can be fishing under the boat and see a fish strike the bait and also see the baits.
    They say it can track a BB our of a BB gun..
    Pete

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Ok here gos. And as soon as I can get the pictures to post I will add screen shots of what i got to see today. and let me tell you. It was something to see.
    Theres more rock's, And I not talking small ones. These are as big as small cars where I fish. And whle logs laying along the bottom.
    Also drove by some Gill Nets and could see the nets. they left a straight line.

Also for the ones that did not think the real thing is as good as on the website. They are . And these are taken in the Tn river with 4 MPH current. Can't wait to see what they look like on the lake.

Pete

17. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    All I can say is that I've sold a lot more of them than lowrance high end units this year. They are a very good unit. Maybe I can give one away at the gathering?

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  19. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Shilo,

Correct me if I am wrong, the line in the middle is your boat, and it is showing the right and left hand side of the channel?

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes the middle is the boat and water depth under the boat.
    Pete