HUMMINBIRD 987c SI questions

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by TNVOLCAT, Jan 9, 2008.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can anyone tell me why these were discontinued by Humminbird? Were there problems with this model and are there any downloadable fixes available for them online? I'm seeing a few of these on Ebay and a few other online sources for what I think would be a fairly low price considering what it is and what the 997's cost. I'm looking to upgrade, so any info appreciated!

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They are just a a new car. New better model comes out and the older ones are closed out.
    Also I know a few that have sold there Used old 987c-SI's for $1200, to $1400. So for the price you can get the better unit for $1800 if you look around on the net.
    You can still update the 987 just have to down load humminbird PC and sign the unit up.
    Not any problems, But the 997 pictures are so much better. the 987 is something like 400 MH something and the new one is 800MH.
    If you buy a used one make sure the Transducer is there. That is $250 and the GPS antenna is somewhere around $200. So make sure there in with it.
    Pete

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pete, thanks for the info. I actually found one new in the box on Ebay for $1,100 w/ gps and trans. I'm watching another one that has no bids with a starting price of $985 w/ gps and trans. I'm also watching a 997 N.I.B. w/ everything except the NAV. bundle with a Buy it now price of $1,600. I also found out that the 987 has a 7" screen where the 997 has a 8" screen. I believe I'll just get one of the new 1100 models w/ 10.4" screen. LOL,LOL,LOL! NOT!

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So the 987 you have or are getting has the side imaging system on it, its just an older model I sure would like one I am just having to do a little saving first but the prices you are talking about seem a lot better than what I have found.

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chris, I'm just trying to get info on the 987 compared to the 997. I knew Pete would help me out. I'm watching a few on ebay to see what they go for. I've got a budget of around $1,200 for a sonar/gps. So, I could get a 987 in that price range. The other option I'm looking at is a Lowrance LCX-37C w/ an 8.4" screen. Both are nice units, it just depends on how bad I want the "side imaging" of the Humminbird.

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well thats kinda my thing too, I think if I buy another finder it is going to have to have the side imaging on it, I just don't want to fish against anybody in a tourny that has one and I don't. All the stuff I have read and looked at it looks like cheatin to me but I guess if the guys I am fishing against have one I need one too, I am just going to have to wait a min to come up with the money. Its the last thing I am going to put on my boat,LOL at least for now.

7. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Im glad to see this post. I just got back from a demo ride in a sea arc :dribble:. The owner has a used 987c he doesent like it because he cant figure it out.He said hed sell it to me for $1200.00. I did the same thing with my lowrance LMS332c.The very next year they discontiued it. After they worked out all the bugs It was replaced with the 422c and now the 522c.My lowrance unit acts goofy sometimes like it has some bugs that needed worked out.I heard a guy say when something new comes out wait 3 years before you buy one.Now im in a tabacle ..$800 bucks is a lot of doe