humminbird 798 ci and other side image finders

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by McLovin, Dec 16, 2009.

1. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was just curious if any of you guys have one of these. I'm gonna buy a fish finder and I'm considering buying one with the side imaging sonar but I wanted to get some input from you guys. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Side imaging will show you an entire new world underneath your boat! AWESOME STUFF!!!!

All I can say is GO AS BIG AS YOU CAN AFFORD!

Try to at least get a 997 because you won't be happy with the screen size of the 700 series, especially in seeing detail on the si display.

You can find 797's cheap now but stay away from them as they are obsolete plus the displays were dark and hard to see. I do not think they will be compatible with the new software update coming out next month for down-imaging either.

I have the 1197 and it was really, really hard for me to decide to spend the extra money but now I am glad that I just did it. I started off with a 797 by the way, no comparison to the 1197!!!!!

Lowrance should be debuting their si very soon also and it will be compatible with the HDS systems. It requires an optional module and runs on the ethernet. Time will tell how this unit will perform but the marketing shots look good. There were some issues on the Lowrance units with water-intrusion, supposed to be fixed now but I'd be careful buying off fleabay or other discount internet suppliers with these bad units floating around. Also, the faceplate bezel is flimsy on the HDS units, you can go to BP or Cabelas and look at their demo units. The dang things are coming apart.

Go to BP or Cabela's and play around, see what you like.

Whatever model you are planning on buying, upgrade to the next biggest size or you'll kick yourself in the arse later!:smile2:

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Here is a shot from a Humminbird Side imaging unit showing si, down imaging, and regular sonar. The amber color is a new color coming out with the upgrade.

Attached Files:

4. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the help Skipeye. I really appreciate it. I've never used one of these, so hopefully I can figure out how to read it. I noticed in your avatar that you've got your rod holders on the back of your boat...what kind of set up is that? My dad and I are rebuilding an old deck boat, and I'm trying to figure out how to set up my rod holders off the back.

5. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Skipeye
    Your telling me (I hope) that I will be able to get down imageing for my 997c-si.
    I can't wait. I am really happy with my unit. Still learnning ever time out but it has paid off. Thanks for your post. Keep us updated.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes Alan, down-imaging is coming out sometime in January via software upgrade for several units, 997 included. Make sure you have your account set up on humminbird's website and you'll be able to download it onto an SD Card, pop it in your unit and you are upgraded. It is a FREE upgrade.:big_smile:

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    John, there are many ways to setup your rodholders off the back of your boat, some cheap, some pricey. Search the BOC and you'll find lots of threads on how folks did theirs.

A lot of folks like the rods down low but I prefer them up higher. I can fight my fish to the side of the boat that way with fewer tangles in the other rods. It makes it easy to work your fish under the remaining rods. I use circle hooks so they usually hook themselves.

A lot of folks bolt a pressure treated board across the back but be aware that the chemicals in these boards will eat your aluminum up eventually. I advise against that method. I'd use aluminum or stainless if your budget allows. 1/2" Driftmasters for the rod holders themselves.

EDIT: By the way, the rod rack in my avatar has been replaced with a stainless steel one with 1/2" Driftmasters. The first one was powdercoated steel and the finish was not holding up. The 3/8" Driftmasters were too flimsy for me so they were upgraded also.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  8. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Skip. Right now I don't have to worry about the rotting aluminum. The boat we are in the process of redoing is an older 18' fiberglass deck boat. Fiberglass isn't ideal for me, but we already had the boat, and I figured it would be cheaper to remodel it and customize it the way I want, than to buy a new boat. At least this way I can afford to put the electronics and rod holders on it like I want.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is some really great info. I am not familiar with the side imaging unit, are they hard to use? They just seem weird to me, do you get use to reading everything sideways?

10. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I am not a expert like skipeye but I managed to figure it out a little bit. I too am looking forward to the new down imaging upgrade. Maybe I will catch some fish next year

11. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Sweet!
    Thanks so much. Merry Chirstmas

12. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Update. I ended up buying the new 798 c with side imaging. I really wanted to step up to the 997, but there was absolutely no way I could pony up that much cash with all the money I've already spent on the boat. I figure I'll use it for a year or two and then upgrade and move this one to the front of the boat.

13. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I was thinking why couldn't you hook up a laptop to a 797 and have a really big screen 22"

14. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had that same thought myself. I wondered if that would be possible.

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    There is not a video output on the 797, that's why you cannot hook up a larger screen.

I could however hook up a 50" widescreen LCD Monitor to the video out on my 1197 though. HE He He!!:smile2: (where will I put it?)

16. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    They say 797 has everthing a 1197 has just smaller screen so if you have output so should the 797 and if it don't I bet I can make one I have GEEK friends :smile2:

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Sorry Doug ......'THEY' are wrong.:wink:

You can find the differences (of which there are several) with a simple google search. Not sure if HB's website lays it out clearly as the 797 is discontinued.

To tap into the display video, if it is even possible, you'd have to get inside the unit. Then I really doubt it would be a composite video signal that would even be useful. Maybe it is though, I have no idea. Also, as it was not designed for that, you probably would not have enough signal strength to drive an external display.

Anything is possible I suppose, but I'd just buy the newer (and bigger) unit.:smile2:

18. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Darryl:
    Not that I did not belive you.
    I was in Bass Pro yesterday and I ask the man behind the counter when the hummenbird d-image upgrade would be comming. he said that it is here and we can set you up for 600.00.
    I mentioned that I heard that humminbird was doing this as a upgrade and was free.
    He then told me that he had been there all day and to frogive him that he thought I was tallking about Lorance. Also that he was not aware of any up grade for Hummenbird. Also that would not be possible without a different tranducer.
    When I got home I went on the Hummenbird site and Greg e mailed me and said just what you said. You are right on the money its a free upgrade.
    I am posting this so our brothers don't give up on this just because they may have the wrong ifromation
    I almost forgot Greg said that on the Lorance the transducer would have to be replaced and a moudule would have to be changed.

19. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I'm sorry but ALL fishfinders are behind the times for the price they want for the 1197 it should have a cell phone a web cam and I should beable to get the internet that way I can take picture of the fish I catch put them On the BOC from my fishfinder time to catch up fishfinders :smile2:

20. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Believe me Skipeye, I would have loved to buy the 997, but I just couldn't afford it this time. I figure the one I bought is better than not having one at all. Besides, my wife was pissed off enough at me for spending what I did, I could only imagine how bad it would have been if I had spent $2,000.