Humminbird 797c1

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by billcatfish, Jun 15, 2007.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    was looking for any info on this fishfinder i am thinking about geting 1 looks like a good finder for the money rather then giving 2000 for a 997
    thanks for any info

bill

2. L.A.Katracker

L.A.Katracker New Member

State:
    Lower Alabama
    :smile2: I ordered mine today. I think it's going to be just as good as the 997 but $1000.00 cheaper. It will take 3 to 5 days to get here so just as soon as I get it I will let you know. I can't wait to see whats in the river where I fish.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I just put on the 797c2SI and have used it once, that being yesterday.

I am having a lot of clutter even at low sensitivity, must need to adjust the transducer or something.

One other thing, I purchased the NVB Model with all the Navionics maps etc pre-installed that made it $1199.00 If the premium maps are so great why am I running my boat through dry-land on the map. My actual position was probably 100 yds off from where the sonar GPS showed me to be.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I love my 797. The side-imaging is amazing and the GPS is great. I didn't get the pre-loaded Navionics model, but I did get the premium chip for my area. Yeah, it shows me on dry land a lot, but then again they specifically caution that the chips aren't meant as a navigation bible. Overall I'm really happy with mine and it was worth every penny. I love the ability to mark fish and display distance and heading back to them after I've anchored off. Also nice to be able to to see exactly what's down there- rocks, brush, etc.

I did call Humminbird yesterday about the FishID icons. The small fish icons indicate a fish from 1-3 lbs, the medium from 3-5 lbs and the large icons 5+ lbs. I couldn't get an answer from them about at what point it decided the returns were too big to be fish and disregarded them. They need to adjust their algorithm to make the big fish icon start at 20 lbs.........

5. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
  6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I am sure you will love your unit. That is unless you ever get around one of the 997 units. Then after seeing the big one. You will see where the other $1000 comes in at.
    But you will find things with the 797 that will change your ideals of fishing some spots.
    Good luck. And read the manual then reread it. And it will allow you to adjust your unit where its right. These are not turn them on and forget them units.
    Also if like the one post you have lots of clutter. Look in the manual and it will tell you how to turn on and off parts of the unit that takes care of that.
    Pete

7. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I have been out in Pete's boat and got to see the 997 in operation. I was amazed at the technology this finder was packing. We identified very clearly balls of bait fish the size of a car and even one echo that was a very large fish, and we could tell from the images that it was suspended about 2 feet off the bottom. The fish was so large that there was a sonar shadow below the fish. When we were cruizing around the marina you could see the stantions that were anchored to the bottom for the houseboat slips to slide up and down on with the lake level. I myself would probably bite the bullet and go for the 997, but everything I have read about the 797 says it is also an excelent finder.

8. riverdasher

riverdasher New Member

State:
    Washington
    What depths were you in when viewing bottom structure? How effective are the units at around 100 ft. or more?

9. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i got my new 797 with all the mapps loaded in it, its great im still learning how to use it, but its a great finder