Humminbird 788ci Question

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by jayhawkokie, Nov 3, 2009.

1. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    I'm getting ready to upgrade to a FF GPS Combo and have considered the Lowrance HDS5 and HB 788ci. I am leaning toward the HB 788 simply because I like most of the features and I've found one at a good price.

Does anyone have any experience with the HB Quadrabeam transducer, is it really a necessity to pay extra fo the upgrade?

I'm also not sure if I need to spend the extra $180.00 for the Navionics map card, HB is offering a pretty nice bundle right now. It would be nice to have the Hot fishing spots and 3D feature and all that, but I mainly want the GPS for night time and hidden hazzards and to mark the crappie brush piles and other good fishing spots.

Jayhawkokie

2. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I can't answer your questions but I just bought one, It should be here tomorrow.. I will soon find out. I didn't get the card yet but will have it soon.

Good luck

3. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    Check out Bass Pro, they are selling the 2008 version of Navionics Hotmaps premium for $99.00, if you don't think you have the very latest. I'm waiting to see if BPS might even knock off a few more bucks on it at the end of the year. I'm sure there wasn't much change from 08-09. Navionics also has a $50.00 rebate offer on their map cards, check out landfallnavigation.com.

I've decided to order a 788ci without the transducer and i found the Quadrabeam transducer on Ebay for $62.00.

Let me know how you like your unit.

4. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered my 788ci unit. I found it on Amazon.com for $529.00, I thought that was too good a deal to pass up. I also ordered the Quadrabeam transducer. I hope I get it next week so I can install it and try it out while we're having nice weather.

Jayhawkokie
    Grand Lake OK

5. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Got mine and installed it. Don't know how I fished without it, and love it!! Wish I had it a long time ago now.. Also paid $624 and shipping was included with quad transducer.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    I can't wait to get mine and get it installed on the boat, should be here in the next few days. I've already removed the old Eagle unit and pre-wired for the new unit, the old wiring was really messed up. I'm thinking about ordering a second mount and power cable so I can switch it back and forth from the console to up by the trolling motor. I still need to order a Navionics map card, looking for a bargain if there is one out there.

Have you had time to mess around with the quadrabeam, does it make a big difference?

Jayhawkokie
    Grand Lake

7. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Roland, I have and it's nice. The quad beam is excellant for finding bait next to bridge pillars and such. The only thing I haven't messed with is the nav portion, I'll wait till I get the chip for better detail. I thought the unit was very easy to operate after reading the manual, no problems understanding the instructions. The only thing I didn't like is the transducer is rather large and mounted as per instructions, I now throw a roostertail about eight feet in the air. I will need to put some kind of splash guard on my transom to reduce this issue.

8. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    They discussed the issue with transducers throwing rooster tails on Iboats.com a while back. A guy on there came up with a neat splash guard and he posted the pattern on the website. I will try to find it and send you the link, I may need one for my boat also.

9. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
  10. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    I got my 788ci unit installed in my boat last Sunday but the weather won't good enough to take it for a test run until this Friday.

My transducer came with a rubber plug to put in the hole in the transducer mount. Just for grins I emailed Humminbird to see if the plug would prevent roostertail. I was told by HB that is the reason for the plug. I guess I'll find out for sure on the test run.

I ordered a Navionics map card. I found the 2008 Hotmaps Premium at Cabelas for $59.80.

Jayhawkokie