humminbird 565 mount cracked

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by bigBB, May 21, 2008.

1. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    has anyone had there mounts crack on there humminbird FF? I've only had mine on the boat for half a dozen outings.. and the damn thing cracked on both sides.. seams ridicules that it isn't made stronger. Anyone know of any options for a stronger mount for this?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Are you talking about the mount for the unit or the transducer???

3. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    the mount for the unit itself. on either side of the mount there is a round pivet point. It cracked at there. I've been looking around the web for some different mounting options, other than a flush mount which isn't an option for me, there doesn't seam to be much choice.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    might could try RAM mounts, then once you tightened up the FF mount you could leave it tight and adjust the ram mount or remove unit after fishing

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yup sure as he!!. I read this and went to check mine, all 4 corners are either cracked or broken off across the mounting bolt holes. I was especially carefull not to overtighten them when I mounted it last summer due to the plastic mount. Crap, now what do we do?

6. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    sorry to hear your mount broke as well. fyi.. i went on humminbirds website and contacted customer service, told them what happened and they are sending me a replacement for free. Which is great, but i don't have a lot of confidence that the mount won't just crack again. I'm not sure what to do about it. You would think someone would make a different mount, sure haven't been able to come up with one though.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna give em a call and see what they can do.

8. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    my 747 has cracked also ????????????

9. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have a 565, but its a portable. No problem.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    A suggestion, from experience installing many electronic mounts over the years: When you install, be certain that the mount is perfectly flat; no high or low spots. If there are, the install a small section of soft gasket material underneath. Tighten the mounting screws evenly and snugly, but don't over tighten, as this is usually what leads to cracking. Maybe this will help someone out there. :big_smile:

11. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    i have a 565 that has been on three different boats in the last 2yrs and havent had any trouble............guess i got lucky, but now im gonna be more carefull about how i handle it when i twist and turn it.

good luck guys, i hope it works out better with the new ones.