HUMMINBIRD 1197 V.S LOWRANCE HDS10 - SHIP JUMPER QUESTION?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Catfish_Commando, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    For those that have made the jump from Humminbird SI to Lowrance HDS what is the report so far?

Lotta $$ to make the jump, has it been worth it to you?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good question. There are many of us waiting to hear this answer.

3. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I want to hear the answers. But I have bought my last Lowrance product. They have left me hanging with high dollar rig last time.
    Own a (Legecy) LCX-113c HD less than two years old.:embarassed:

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    just get both money bags..... you got it in your pocket.......:wink:

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am interested also, gotta figure out which way to go when I jump back in the market.....Always been a lowrance man to this point. But their customer service sucks...

6. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Definitely worth the jump IMHO. I just finished up installing the structure scan tonight. Can't wait to see what it does this weekend. The HDS just seems to be more user friendly. I am partial to Lowrance's 2d anyway. I just think they are much better than the birds. Also, the overlay options on the HDS are awesome. You can move everything (time, temp, speed, etc. etc.) anywhere you want it on the screen. The transducer design is far better than the birds. As I posted on here many times, the bird's high speed transducer is faulty to say the least. After it pops up on you a couple of times its all over. Additionally, you can split screen with one half at 200khz and the other half at 80 or 50. Conversely, the bird is one or the other or both at the same time.

7. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Nah, on the 997 you can split screen 200kHz and 83kHz separately. I'll be interested on seeing some screenshots of the down scan thou. We will see if HB can duplicate it with their update in Jan.

8. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Me! :crazy:

You and Scott are the G Money Unit. He is a big time lawyer, you are a big time shop owner, I am just a retired Soldier who fought multiple wars for your freedom, asking nothing in return. Just the satisfaction of knowing you were sleeping soundly at night was good enough for this ole GA boy.

Now send me some money! :smile2:

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I'll second that! PM me for my address! LMAO:smile2::wink:

10. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just bought my HDS-8 a week or so ago. Haven't had a chance to get it installed yet. Am looking forward to trying it out and seeing how it actually works. Did a lot of research before I bought it and looked at the Humminbirds also. A friend of mine that I work with has the Humminbird 997SI and he's thinking of switching to the HDS. Guess he's kind of waiting to see how mine is first. Hope to get it mounted in the next week or so, so I can at least play with it a little. Got the Structurescan ordered, but haven't got it yet. Didn't know it had been released.

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i have hd10 i bount it in may i think it is the best sonar on the mark i have had no problems with it yet i just got the downscan a wk ago it is awsome to say the east im still learning to operate it i think its smarter than me but that ant much it will take time to tell but when you see it you will be impreesed the sidescan is just like the bird with more magnafication but the downscan is what tells it all

12. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL

Yes, andrew you are correct. I had forgotten that you could do that. I guess I forgot about it b/c I never found it helpful on the bird. However, I use that function a lot on the Lowrance. I will post some screen shots as soon as I get them.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    With the inflated price of the HDS units and the $600 price tag for the structure scan, I'm liking the Humminbird units more and more!

14. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Had the first day on the water with the structure scan yesterday. It seems to be pretty much like the bird's with the exception of the down view. The down view is really cool. you can use it to see if what you are seeing on the 2d is suspended or connected to the bottom.

I found splitting the screen 4 ways to be a really cool feature. I had the sidescan, down view, 2d, and mapping all up at the same time. I'll post more when I learn a little more. Right now, I feel like I know about 1/100th of the features that are available on it!!:eek:oooh:

15. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Scott keep us in the loop as you go. :wink:

16. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Thread bump for updated experience reports on the guys who jumped over to Lowrance.

Any new updates?

17. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    All i can say Is my old-friend Johnny just got the HDS-10 with all the programming available/ Unka Paul we will be needing a "few" tips here i am sure....But as we learn we shall post!!!!! At least we can ride-around and look good!!!!LMAO!!!!

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey I am STILL doing it so include me in on that check!!!:handshake:

19. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Well guys, it's been a while since I posted anything regarding the HDS 10. I have had a little time to play with it and am still very happy with it. The only issue that I have with it is the 200khz. I can't for the life of me get it to produce anything that remotely looks like arches!! However, the 50 khz does a magnificent job. From everything I have read the 50 khz is a narrower beam (like the 83khz except for deep water) than the 200 khz. However, I can't seem to get the 200 adjusted properly for some reason. It can't be the positioning of the transducer b/c the 50 works great. If anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them. As for the structure scan, it is great but not a marked difference from the bird. As i said above, the 50 khz when compared with the bird's 2d, is VASTLY better!!

20. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Here is a pic of my HDS-8 with the screen split 3 ways. I would recommend spending the money on a HDS system. I can drive by the end of some of the sunken barges here and actually be able to count the boards on it. It was a huge change from my last unit which was a Humminbird 947c. I love the unit and am still amazed at the features that I continue to find.
    The pic is of a rock. I need to do some adjustments to the sensitivity.

Attached Files:

JDWILLIS39 likes this.