Humbolt squid

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by plainsman, Jan 6, 2010.

1. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Humbolt squid are hitting good now, they are being caught in waters off San Diego, water about 800 ft deep. Boats have been getting up to 220 or more a night with 70 fishermen.

Went out last night on a boat with 10 fishermen and caught 70 - 80 in about 1 1/2 hours. My first time, interesting and kinda fun. It takes heavy gear, best with braided line.

2. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    You have any pics? Sounds intresting.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I heard its a blast, and its a new thing I understand stand. I just took a group of guys out on a striper trip that's from that side of the states and they were talking about it. Seems likes it'd be a good time had, and of corse good eating!

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    sounds fun, never done it myself, but i would like to try....

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, they get up to 100 lbs, but not real fighters. Only when they try to get away, not a constant pull like regular fish. I brought home 8 of em, some pretty good size. Usually got 4 steaks outa one, but bigger ones got more. Tryin to make dried squid now, hope it turns out. Musta had 50 lbs of squid meat. Been givin it away to friends. Would like to go again, sometime. They will eat all the bait fish and everything else off shore, so the fishing fleet wants em gone too. They are not always up this far north but depends on ocean temps down deep.

It seems a boat leaves the dock about 4-5 pm and is back by 10:00 to 10:30 with a bunch. We estimated 70-80 for 10 of us, the other boat got 2-300 but had a lot of people on it. We went out of Seaforth landing, they have a website with fish counts.