Humane Society Fees

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by Flatheadhunter33, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I dont necessarily mean for this to become a question of ethics...though Im sure it just might...

When it comes to humane societies, I think that these folks do a very underated justice for some unfortunate animals. Lately I have been thinking about adopting a dog. I currently have a rottweiler and would like to give him some company while at the same time save a dog from being put down. The fees that the local humane society charges for adoption are reasonable I guess but I could not help to wonder how the shelter would play things out in terms waving fees if thery knew that an animal was on its way to being euthanized and someone wanted to take it home? I know this sounds pretty cheap and that those fees go towards paying for shots and other things needed at the shelter. Im just simply wondering...

2. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    If a person can't afford to bail a dog out , they probably can't afford to take proper care off it either . They're a very fine organization , but very underfunded. I adopted 3 over the years , and every one of them became a good buddy and side kick.(priceless!!!)

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I understand yer point...but Im wondering where the importance of the animal's life stacks up against the agency (or state?) recieving their fee. I fully realize that the funding these shelters recieve has a very vital importance to their being able to stay open and function... Im just wondering how many animals you guys think that the shelters waive fees on (if ever)?

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Two years ago we adopted twin brother pups from a local shelter. I want to say the fees were around $75 per dog, which was very reasonable for 2 awesome dogs. Most of that money went toward the kennels utility bills, food, crates, etc. My wife and I prefer to make direct donations to the shelter in the form of pet food, toys, etc. I doubt adoption fees will ever be waived because many of these places are operating in the red already.

5. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Normally i try to keep my furbaby volunteering to a personal level and try my best not to allow my volunteering to hit all facets of my life. I have been a member of the grant county animal protection society for ever and was a member of the shelby county humane society when I lived over there. I was a foster mom for the abandoned and abused, dumped souls for 5 years.

I understand that the cost hooked with a animal shelter dog are high to some. But if a responsible pet owner gets a dog not doubt they will take it in for the annual shots etc appox cost (100.00). Which normally includes a 8 & 1 vacination rabies shot heartworm blood check and stool check for misc worms and parisites (wormer costs 8.50) (heartworm preventitive appox cost 25.00). A responsible pet owner will no doubt buy at that point frontline (10.00 to 50.00 depending on months bought)or some other flea control for the pet...
    Also if the dog hasn't been fixed when they get it they will fix the animal by neturing or spaying anywhere from (70.00 and up)

When you adopt a shelter animal most of the time all of that has already been done. Might have to sign contract on spaying but other than that it is done for ya. So I hope that makes since of why shelter doggies cost a price. Also you have to remember the not covered $, feed shelter, medical attention to fix what they had when then came in.
    I can understand your point also that if a doggies time is up will they lower the fee.? Normally not for the ones who ask in my case bacause that is a big clue as to how well they will pay for the needed treatments etc for the animal in the future. I have though felt that a good home was willing to adopt and would be good doggie parents and paid the fee myself so one dog could go home with them. I see that beagle to this day every now and again at the nursing home visiting the folks there. So that time it was a win win situation.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Over 30 years, 20 actively, 10 on the side dealing with shelters, pounds, animal huggers, boards of directors with an agenda, county governments, paper work and everybody wanting free service for the love of animals. The people who run the joints and the people who want to "adopt" all want something for nothing. You become a middle man as a professional and can see both sides.

Gets sickening after the first year but ya stick with it because ya care or you might simply be trying to make a living.

First, the fees charged are more than fair. In actuality they should be double.

Secondly, the more you pay the more apt you are to take care of it. Whatever you get out one of those cages or runs cant' vote and does not have a say on where it is going or what environment it will be in. Think about that a moment. You know people, all kinds. Can you see now in your mind how they take care of anything, from their homes to their cars to their dogs to their kids. Some animals get lucky others don't.

Third. Stop already. If people were humane there would be no need for these places. If people were humane, dogs would cost thousands of dollars because there wouldn't be many around. No accidental breeding, no puppy mills, no dogs thrown out car windows like empty beer cans when you can't feed them or afford them.

Dameon you know I like ya. You want one,suck it up like your CO was talking to you and get one. Take your time and don't get teary eyed over the first thing you see. There will be plenty more down the row.

I have one of our own dogs to kill shortly because we can no longer control it's seizures. Whatever they charge we will pay 'cause that's where most all of them we have come from. Too bad we can't afford to take all of them, but who can.

John.

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I have 2 of my 3 dogs are from private partys that couldnt handle them any more I figured I save the person the worry of taking to the pound and save the coomunity the cost of the the goverment managed (mismanaged) project. I saved the dogs and they save me.