Hulah Lake above flood stage

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catfishcentral, Jun 30, 2007.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Rain, rain and more rain. Hulah lake is now above flood pool level 33 plus feet and rising. There's still 50,000 cfs coming in and only 12,000 cfs coming out. I was talking with corps and they said they can take the lake five more feet to 770 feet before having to let out more water and flood the town. This could end up being worse than 86 when it really did a lot of flood damage. Here's some pics I took today. The high school parking lot about a 1/4 mile from my house, Johnstone park and up at hulah lake.

Attached Files:

2. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    couple more pics

Attached Files:

3. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Chris: Take Care my friend, our thoughts are certainly with you at this time. For those of us not familiar with the area, is the town located up or down stream from the dam?

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Most of the lakes in Oklahoma are brim full of water. The Corp of Engineers have closed Arcadia lake due to hight water, and cannot release water because all the creeks and rivers are all ready at flood stage. The state authorities believe more lakes will have to be closed... and this is the 4th coming up...major loss of revenue for some communities.

5. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Tom,

Hulah lake is located to the North of Bartlesville as well as Copan. The little caney river feeds Copan and the caney feeds Hulah. The two rivers come together around the town of Dewey just North of Bartlesville. The river flows right through the center of town. The river is out of it's banks in most places and flooding the usual flood prone areas. What is bad is the lake is still filling up and before too much longer they will have to let out more which could cause some serious damage. The lake is 101 % above normal.

Here's a link to Hulah Lake on levels and releases.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/HULA.lakepage.html

Here's some video I shot standing above the dam with my camera on video. All this water heads down to Bartlesville.

http://media.putfile.com/bville-flooding-07-011

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Wow. It's pretty amazing how much water we've all received over the last few months. I wish the rain would hold off for at least a few weeks to give all our lakes a chance to drain out a bit. It's starting to get scary.

7. dobbie

dobbie Member

Chris It's hard to believe that Hulah just about went dry a couple years ago.They were saying on the TV awhile ago that Collinsville will get hit hard.

8. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    nice pics, chris... looks a lot like around these parts...

9. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    There letting out 44,000 cfs out of Hulah now. I drove by again and the river is completely out of it's banks below the dam flooding all the feilds below. While driving westbound on highway 10 the felids are all flooding and going across highway 10 in several places. Copan is getting really high also...there not letting any water out of Copan yet but it won't be long. There's some people being evacuted out of some lower lying homes in the Bartlesville and Dewey area right now.

10. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
  11. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Four winds !!! Lawton huh? I sorta grew up around Ft. Sill an th Lawton area. was where my grandmother lived till she passed. right by Eisenhower high. Its been a long while but I could probably still get around if cashe rd hasnt grown up too much. Anyways your 15 day streek of non-stop rain finally flooded your lakes? ours flooded in a weekend,lol. and steadily goin up ever since. I live between Belton lake and Stillhouse those and Granger and Waco r closed indefinately. Belton is almost cresting at th spillway, which aint good for those who live downstream. I hope this rain finds some time to let up for a while, I waqnna enjoy my new boat. well its not new, but to me it is. hope u can still get some fishin done.

12. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Chris, I saw on News 9 this morning that Bartlesville got the most rain in the state,(18 + inches) add that with what kansas got and still getting !!! We are thinking about you man, hope all is safe, soon in your aera.

13. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    We look at lot better than Coffeeville and Independence KS. The water is still rising but hasn't affected too many more people. We did help some friends move out this afternoon from there house since water will probably be in there tomorrow morning. Raining again tonight some of the major roads that seperate the east and west sides of town might be under water tomorrow. Copan and Hulah are both above flood pool, what there releasing right now is keeping up with the inflow into the lakes. My house is plenty far enough any flood plain. I did see deer running down my street last night and saw where one bedded down under my porch last night. They have been driven from all the woods in the center of town which are now under water.

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chris, with all the flooding up that way I sure hope that you are staying high and dry, let us know when you can!

15. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Monday afternoon the river crested....there was only one road open seperating the East and West sides of town. The flooding affected theyt say around 3000 people. My home was fine it sets far enough above the flood plain. We helped out a couple friends of ours yesterday getting some stuff out of their homes before the water got in there. Copan and Hulah are both at 100% of flood pool but the inflow is now less that what there letting out and the flood waters should start to recede barring any more rain.

16. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Howdy txthumper,

Like a lot of other places Lawton's grown some over the years but you could probably still get around town just fine. I was in the class of '71 at Ike. Lived about a half mile North of the Sr. High just off of 53rd St. My mom still lives in that same old house, actually.

As for the rains here in my area, it wasn't non-stop... I'm not sure of the number of consecutive rainy days but we got 2-5" rains just about every day for a while. We've gotten pretty close to our yearly average so far, but we needed it. The ponds are full, the lakes are full, the ground is saturated, and the water table's up and it sounds like you guys had a pretty darned good dousing down there in Texas, too! More than some wanted, I'm sure!

The rain has pretty much stopped here. A few showers/storms here and there from time to time but that's about it. The lake waters will be warming up and the fish'll have a harder time finding food without all the bugs and worms gettin washed into the lake waters so the fishing will get to pickin up. The hard part's finding someplace to fish when you don't have a boat... maybe I'll be able to buy one later this year.

I'm pretty sure all you other guys are glad to see the rain stop, too!

Good luck with your fishin, fellas!

Dave

17. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    I grew up in Lawton several years before you but we've been going back to take care of my sister's place. Do you fish at Elsworth? If so where? Flintman and I would like to fish there but don't know the lake.

Okie gal

18. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Hi Jan,

Yes, I fish Lake Ellsworth... not as often as I'd like but when I can. I know the lake 'fairly well' but not as good as I used to years ago (long story). I'll try to get you guys some helpful info but it'll probably be on another thread and if so I'll post a link to it here or pm you.

Take care!

Dave

19. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    My grandma lived on Longview, I spent many a summer at Ft sill w/th handicaped kids swimming an bowling an all kinds of stuff. There was this old man, Sarge, had a small pond he used to let them fish, I would go to, but for th life of me done know where it was. never caught anything big, but had some small cats an bluegills.

As far as th rain round here, yeah, its kinda lettin up a lil. Belton lake is bout to flow over th spillway, if it doesnt quit totally. I guess since th lakes are closed...indefinately, I will spend my free time gettin my boats ready for next summer. I aquired 2 boats recently, neither 1 runs, but they will soon. take care.