Hugo lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jetdocx, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

Corinth Tx
    Headed to Hugo lake in a couple of weeks to do some fishing. Any suggestions on where to go?
  2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

I can't tell you where to fish but from the reports I have seen the lake is low and there are many, repeat, many stumps at the water line. The bouy's that were marking the boat lanes are gone from what I hear as well.... Use caution if you are by boat. I also hear there are some big flatheads there and some decent crapie and blue gills in there.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hugo lake was formed by daming the Kiamichi River. Before the dam was put in, the Kiamichi was somewhat a perfect place to fish. When the water stopped flowing, timber along the river and in the lake proper was flooded, making it a "heaven" for fishermen. The problem has been for years, where do you fish at. Before the river was damed, you could put in at the "Rattan" bridge, on State Highway 3 (I believe) about 7 miles East of Antlers. The river channel is pretty well defined, and if I were to fish it from a boat, I'd go as far up the river as I could get...before the water was backed up, that was about 7 miles. Probably you would need 10 to 12 miles today... but somewhere up that river, you will find a shallow area with water flowing over the rocks. Fish right below those rapids and you will probably have one of those "kodak" moments for a fishing trip. I remember one trip I caught a 16 lb flathead, several small blue and channels, and about 25 bass, each weighing about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs on a lazy ike lure. First and only time I have ever caught a fish on one of those lures. If you don't want to go up river, there is a bait stand located about 1/2 mile east of the bridge and they could probably get you situated right for cats, bass or crappie.