Huge GMR Channel catfish???

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, was out today with Dink fishing the same area as Mellon and Flathunter and also had a good day. Me and Dink took Channels of 9,8, 6, 6, 5 and a few smaller ones while Jack took a 13 lber today, ( see different post) and Dink took a 17 lber last night and in the last week, several more fish in the 7-9 lb range have been taken by various members of the Catfish Mafia.

Several of these fish were heavy headed males which were long and skinny ( but still heavy) while Dinks fish may or may not have been a Male, tough to tell but it appears that the POST SPAWN feeding frenzy is on for the better fish. Anyone else noticing this same phenominon on there local river or the GMR for that fact? We are fishing the Middle GMR near Dayton.

FWIW, Cut shad seems to be working quite well right now

Salmonid ( Ill post pics when Dink sends em to me, but the 9 lber was a PB for me from a river):smile2:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Who cares why, just that yall are catching them. Congrats!!

3. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like a goodtime had by all. Any turtles?
    I've got to get out and fish. Still a couple nights left on my killer run at work.
    Then I'm going fishin'.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Any Turtles?? Why funny you mention it, yes, we took 3 including adding to Dinks tally as well as my own tally, Im up to 7 this year so far. anyways the GMR is just chock full of em and today was the worst, several spots, we had 4 rods all tapping away at the same time, ( several times) it was crazy, turtles were everywhere the cats should have been but I guess when the cats are not feeding, the turtles move into the same feeding lanes.
    Did I mention how bad those huge softshells stink, my god, I thought Dink over filled his diapers but it was the turtle, :crazy: :eek:oooh: we couldnt unhook them fast enough!

No question, if we tried, Im sure we could have taken a dozen turtles each today if we didnt keep moving or pulling the baits away from them.
    Short of alligator gar, do they have any predators? They need to open a hunting season for them here, we have enough gun happy, "need to Kill something" types around here to seriously thin the population:roll_eyes:

Salmonid

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Too much Info, man I thought you had gotten away from them and were only catching fish.

6. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, now that is funny right there!! hehehe :big_smile:

7. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
  8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yup, dont know if you can see it or not but this turtle had this brown, diahrea looking brown funk oozing from around its appendages that smelled of pure death!:bad_smelly: we couldnt get it out of the boat fast enough!

Attached Files:

9. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO Dink, if I have a turtle cookout I got ya on speed dial brother. hehehe

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude, if you want a bunch of softies i can get all you want! Nightprowler and i talked about buying a 240ft trottline and setting it out specifically for them things! only problem is finding someone who wants 'em.

11. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have never ate softshell, but love some snapper. Probably about the same though, who knows.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Are the soft shells as good as the snappers? I can remember the last time Ive even eaten Turltle.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they are about the same, meat is just a little tougher. its a pain trying to get the skin off the legs so i dont bother with 'em anymore.

14. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio

I know someone who would take as many as you could give. also does any one know if you can bowhunt turtles? i'd like to see if it works.