Huge Gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by okiefish, Jan 26, 2006.

1. okiefish

okiefish New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey all ,
    A friend sent me these 2 pics of a gar caught at Sam Reyburn in TX. Has any one seen these?

Attached Files:

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    :0a5: deffinatly wouldn't wanna be in the water with that. Looks like the world record alligator gar pic i seen a long time ago. something like 225#s

3. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Wow,how do you get something that big in the boat:confused:

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I've heard of those big texas alligator gar before! Now I have seen one............scary!!

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive snagged couple big gar in Lake Texhoma while trolling for sandies and stripers. Nothing that big though, if I ever brought something like that to the boat id mess my britches.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    looks more like a gator than a fish

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    That is one huge fish... too bad its not as pretty as the blue cat or i think more people would be going after them. I'd love to be catching fish as big as me and not have to go offshore to do it...

8. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Freaky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Slimer13

Slimer13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I caught one last year in chocolate bayou that went almost 100 lbs but that one is huge.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    That is one huge fish, wonder what kind of tackle they used to get it in.

11. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    One of the fish that I would love to cach is an alligator gar. They have some at the Texas Freshwater Museum and Aquarium near Dallas ( home of the famous 121 lb blue named Splash). They are something, but I sure wish that the big ones would be returned to the water rather than killed. Anyone know how to catch them? I'ld like to make a fishing trip to try for big gar. Hannibal Mike

12. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    That fish is huge! I wouldn't mind catching one of those!

13. rockinmichigan

rockinmichigan New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've seen the one picture of the gator gar in the boat before. That's a biggun and I can only imagine what kind of fight that son of a gun puts up. I've hooked into a 40" longnose gar one time and that was a nice fight, but that isn't even close to the size of that gator gar.

14. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I read some where that the gar was taken with a bow

15. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    You think those things could eat people???

16. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Wow, if that's in the water I ain't gettin' in. How could you even land something like that?

17. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I've always wanted to go to Texas for the main reason of fishing those big gar. Those are some monsters.

18. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Hey Hannibal Mike, I'm from Quincy and i got fishing a lot in the Mississippi. Maybe we can hook up some time and share some tips

19. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I read a long article in Fur Fish Game about bowfishing the alligator gar. They said you hit them with a harpoon arrow with a float and then let them run. The next arrows are broadheads to take out the vitals. Said the fight could run over an hour. The one I saw was 6' long.

20. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    I grew up on the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels, TX and have seen them a bunch on the surface like dolphins, weird lookin creatures. I've also caught a variety of sized gar on my trotlines which are always baited with live perch which is also weird cause I heard they don't eat live bait.

I could be a tall tale but I've heard from more than one that you can take a piece of rope with a frayed end and use it kinda like a fly rod cast and they will chase it away from where they're hangin out and if persisted they'll hit it, essentialy getting thier teeth caught in the frays. Who knows I've chunked my bass lure at 'em but no luck.

Lucas